Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a Year 10 student and I am currently considering taking engineering at university; my main reasons are because I like maths and physics. In year 7 to 9, we did product design, but i dropped it because at the time, I didn't think much of engineering. However, it turns out that they run a lot of the extra stuff like competitions you need for engineering; you need these to get a place at a top uni.
    As I didn't take product design, i will miss out on all these extra things. So I was wondering if anyone could help me, by telling me what extra things like competitions, courses and other extra things I could do in Year 10-11 to boost an engineering application. Not work experience, but other extra stuff.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muttonrolls)
    I am a Year 10 student and I am currently considering taking engineering at university; my main reasons are because I like maths and physics. In year 7 to 9, we did product design, but i dropped it because at the time, I didn't think much of engineering. However, it turns out that they run a lot of the extra stuff like competitions you need for engineering; you need these to get a place at a top uni.
    As I didn't take product design, i will miss out on all these extra things. So I was wondering if anyone could help me, by telling me what extra things like competitions, courses and other extra things I could do in Year 10-11 to boost an engineering application. Not work experience, but other extra stuff.
    Thanks
    Save yourself the hassle, you don't need extra stuff to get into a good university for engineering.
    Enjoy high school while you're there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    Save yourself the hassle, you don't need extra stuff to get into a good university for engineering.
    Enjoy high school while you're there.
    really? I really want to to get into a top uni (cambridge, imperial...); surely you need lots of extra stuff and whatnot because of all the competition
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    really? I really want to to get into a top uni (cambridge, imperial...); surely you need lots of extra stuff and whatnot because of all the competition
    Nope. It's really all about having strong academics, especially Maths.

Doing things that demonstrate an interest in the subject is good too. But your A-levels are the priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Not sure who's given you this information but it sure as hell ain't true

ReputationRep:
    Also there's really not that much difference between universities for engineering, the course ranked 1st and the course ranked 15th will have fairly similar satisfaction and job prospects. I'd go as far as saying if you have the academic ability to get into Cambridge or Imperial you'd be better off putting less effort into your work, taking up more extracurriculars like you're talking about (or even better ones you enjoy) and going to somewhere ranked 10th-15th.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Also there's really not that much difference between universities for engineering, the course ranked 1st and the course ranked 15th will have fairly similar satisfaction and job prospects. I'd go as far as saying if you have the academic ability to get into Cambridge or Imperial you'd be better off putting less effort into your work, taking up more extracurriculars like you're talking about (or even better ones you enjoy) and going to somewhere ranked 10th-15th.
    Or even Bath

Bath_Student

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Maths and Physics is all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    oh i see. thanks for clearing that up; its just that a friend of mine does a lot of extra stuff (he wants to do do medicine), so i felt pressurized to do the same in the field i want to pursue.
    thanks for clearing it up
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    oh i see. thanks for clearing that up; its just that a friend of mine does a lot of extra stuff (he wants to do do medicine), so i felt pressurized to do the same in the field i want to pursue.
    thanks for clearing it up
    Medicine is different. You have to have health-related work experience, etc.

It's not required for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.