Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I hope some existing students can give me some advice on what it's like to study at Thornton Science Park. I went to my interview today and I was told that my course would be held there. The impression I got from driving around is that the campus is a TREK from town, where I hope to stay in halls.

I just wanted to know from students there at the moment, although you have a bus, how good is the connection? Are you isolated from other students as you spend the day so far away? Is it a pain living so far from campus for 9am lectures etc...

Thanks,

Matthew
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Matthew Thomas)
    Hi,

I hope some existing students can give me some advice on what it's like to study at Thornton Science Park. I went to my interview today and I was told that my course would be held there. The impression I got from driving around is that the campus is a TREK from town, where I hope to stay in halls.

I just wanted to know from students there at the moment, although you have a bus, how good is the connection? Are you isolated from other students as you spend the day so far away? Is it a pain living so far from campus for 9am lectures etc...

Thanks,

Matthew
    Hi Matthew,

How did your interview view go? Which course have you had an interview for? We'll then try and put you in contact with some students from that course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Chester)
    Hi Matthew,

How did your interview view go? Which course have you had an interview for? We'll then try and put you in contact with some students from that course
    It went really well, I got an unconditional offer to join B.Sc Mathematics at second year, as I've already studied part of my degree with Open Uni.

If you could put me in touch with students that would be great. I'm set on going to Chester but I'm just not sure about the distance.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Matthew Thomas)
    It went really well, I got an unconditional offer to join B.Sc Mathematics at second year, as I've already studied part of my degree with Open Uni.

If you could put me in touch with students that would be great. I'm set on going to Chester but I'm just not sure about the distance.
    That's great to hear

We've emailed some students that study Mathematics, so hopefully one of them should respond. Students are currently on Easter break and so it may take them a little longer to reply.

There are shuttle buses which run between Thornton Science Park and Parkgate Road Campus during term time.

ReputationRep:
    I just typed out a detailed reply, then TSR asked me to sign in again (even though I had already signed in) and now it's gone. Fuming.

The buses are fairly regular, I'll pm you a timetable (they change once or twice a year). I've never had 9am lectures but I can imagine they would probably be annoying if you're not a morning person. The bus usually takes 20-25 minutes to get to and from Thornton from main campus, so you won't be spending your breaks with any students that are based at main campus. Wednesdays, evenings and weekends are free so you'll have plenty of time to see your other friends.

Thornton is a 5-10 minute drive from Cheshire Oaks too, if you or your class mates drive and wanna go there during your break or after uni.

The library on main campus has computers with maths software so you don't have to travel to Thornton to use the computers. Also a lot of the software is either free or downloadable through the uni license.

Currently with regards to bus times there's a gap between 2:30 and 4:15 which is mostly what people are annoyed about. But if you're doing Maths then after a few weeks you'll have plenty of work that you can do during that time. They will probably alter the timetable by then though, so it might not be an issue.

Hope this helps,

Harrison

Edit: tried PMing the timetable but it was marked as spam, don't wanna post it publicly just in case I get into trouble. To give an idea there are buses to Thornton roughly every 1-1.5 hours from 8:15-13:30 and buses back from 13:00-18:30 and a minibus at 20:30

ReputationRep:
    Hello Matthew,

I am Joshua. I am currently a first year undergraduate studying Maths at the University of Chester. So next year, you would be joining our class in the second year.

So far I have really enjoyed the programme of study. The degree mainly focuses on pure maths, statistics and abstract algebra which are all quite interesting modules and all of the lecturers are dedicated professionals and extremely helpful.

The course is run over at Thornton Science Park which is a 15-20 minute bus journey from Parkgate Campus. The journey is quite short but is a good opportunity to catch up with friends and discuss lecture material and coursework. They try to organise the buses at reasonable times close to when our lectures start and finish so you should never have to wait too long. Obviously, having to get the early bus for a 9am lecture doesn’t sound the most appealing but it is good practice for when you complete your degree and go into the work place.

I hope this has helped. Please do feel free to message with any others questions and I’ll try and help.

Joshua.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
  2. University of Chester
    Warrington Campus and University Centre Shrewsbury Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  3. University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.