Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Looking for some advice from individuals who many know any details about life/quality of particular MSc courses

my situation is the following

MSc Finance - Imperial - offered
    MSc Finance - Warwick - offered with £16500 scholarship
    Masters in Financial Analysis - London Business School - Called for interview
    MSc Finance - LSE - awaiting reply

My particular decision is between taking the scholarship at WBS or LBS (if i am offered). The MFA at LBS is a new course, so i'm a bit skeptical about its value, even if the business school is so highly regarded.

Just curious to if anyone has an opinion on the following courses, as I am finding it very hard to decide even after extensive research

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I will pick LSE Finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does your master profile looks like, OP (If I may ask)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeamanDemon)
    What does your master profile looks like, OP (If I may ask)?
    sure

Exeter uni, Economics, 1st class all 3 years (graduating this year)
    GMAT 710
    1 finance summer internship (nothing impressive)
    Reasonable EC's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by econstudent28)
    If I were you, I will pick LSE Finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

any particular reason? If i was to be accepted, is there anything amazing that warrants the extra cost

ReputationRep:
    The general consensus is that lse finance will open the most doors for you, and will net you the highest roi, even with its absurdly high tuition fee.

ReputationRep:
    tricky between Warwick and LSE for me.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulation on these offers man.

Can't go wrong with LSE. London location, great reputation, guaranteed interview I would imagine. Although the WBS scholarship is intriguing, I would think that LSE quality, location and brand is worth it.

I for one am going to Cass, if you decide to go for LSE, see you in London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minerdigger)
    Congratulation on these offers man.

Can't go wrong with LSE. London location, great reputation, guaranteed interview I would imagine. Although the WBS scholarship is intriguing, I would think that LSE quality, location and brand is worth it.

I for one am going to Cass, if you decide to go for LSE, see you in London!
    Thanks! also I appreciate the advice. I am very surprised at my fortune with the offers too given my profile is nothing outstanding.

Was going to go for the mathematical trading at Cass myself, but seriously doubted my quant skills :P I'm sure you will reap the benefits of being so centrally located, something I will definitely miss out of if I choose Warwick, but campus life rocks so whatever .

I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tutonic)
    The general consensus is that lse finance will open the most doors for you, and will net you the highest roi, even with its absurdly high tuition fee.
    (Original post by TheGrammarGuru)
    tricky between Warwick and LSE for me.
    Thanks for the opinions, both are generally what I'm thinking! More open doors vs a better lifestyle + finances.

ReputationRep:
    If money really isn't a problem for you, I strongly advice you to pursue lse > imperial > wbs.

Imperial's msc finance is quite a good programme and seems to be the next best alternative. However, like lse, it's crazy expensive. So if money really isn't a problem, then go imperial. However, the difference in prestige and content of Warwick's and imperial's course is marginal. Do note that imperial's course is highly quantitative iirc.

ReputationRep:
    If money really isn't a problem for you, I strongly advice you to pursue lse > imperial > wbs.

Imperial's msc finance is quite a good programme and seems to be the next best alternative. However, like lse, it's crazy expensive. So if money really isn't a problem, then go imperial. However, the difference in prestige and content of Warwick's and imperial's course is marginal. Do note that imperial's course is highly quantitative iirc.

100% agree. Imperial and Warwick are practically the same in terms of reputation, I just think Imperials location puts it ahead in terms of employment.

Its a bit of a silly question on my behalf to begin with to be honest, essentially its quite obvious that LSE has an edge and its just about how much money matters to me. Unfortunately it matters a lot haha, so I think Warwick still wins. There just might be a few key course benefits which I'm missing out on which tilt my view. To me, the LSE course looks insanely bland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StefanG)
    100% agree. Imperial and Warwick are practically the same in terms of reputation, I just think Imperials location puts it ahead in terms of employment.

Its a bit of a silly question on my behalf to begin with to be honest, essentially its quite obvious that LSE has an edge and its just about how much money matters to me. Unfortunately it matters a lot haha, so I think Warwick still wins. There just might be a few key course benefits which I'm missing out on which tilt my view. To me, the LSE course looks insanely bland.
    Well, the thing with lse is that if you intend to work upon completion of the msc, then you'll be in a good position to find gainful employment since the big players in Finance have a hard on for lse grads. So it isn't really about the module per se. You're mainly spending the extra money for the fancy name that opens countless doors.

But yes, if money is a problem (like it normally should) then you won't be missing out on much by attending Warwick. The programme is quite good. Only downside is that it isn't in the city, albeit just a short ride away.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    100% would take Warwick.. £16.5k is a substantial amount of money that you can't pass up. It's a target university for literally all financial institutions.

I'd have taken LBS had you applied for their Masters in Management program (which is two years, allowing for an internship), however, I feel their MFA programming isn't as strong a brand enough to pass up a substantial scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, the thing with lse is that if you intend to work upon completion of the msc, then you'll be in a good position to find gainful employment since the big players in Finance have a hard on for lse grads. So it isn't really about the module per se. You're mainly spending the extra money for the fancy name that opens countless doors.

But yes, if money is a problem (like it normally should) then you won't be missing out on much by attending Warwick. The programme is quite good. Only downside is that it isn't in the city, albeit just a short ride away.
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    100% would take Warwick.. £16.5k is a substantial amount of money that you can't pass up. It's a target university for literally all financial institutions.

I'd have taken LBS had you applied for their Masters in Management program (which is two years, allowing for an internship), however, I feel their MFA programming isn't as strong a brand enough to pass up a substantial scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah man, think I'm just going to see what unfolds. I'm also looking into America too. At the end of the day, there are so many more factors playing into my decision than employment figures, so I think to tunnel vision onto the one which gives the likes of Goldman 'hardons' is probably a huge error.

As for your comment Prince, its what I'm feeling at the moment in terms of Warwick. As for LBS, although the management course has a good reputation, I think LBS is still a MBA powerhouse. Salary stats are OK, but not too great for LBS standards. I met 1 on 1 with one of their admissions team and she explained their careers help (which is very strong), but I just get the impression its a lot stronger for MBA hires than it is undergraduate/masters. Just my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious. What was your profile like? The £16k looks quite nice. Are you expected to graduate with first class or like 80+ average mark?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick easily imo a targets a target, and £16500 isn't a sum of money i'd ever want to pass up. (in the process of obtaining a £4500 scholarship from imperial and having to jump through hoops).

I was considering MFA at LBS too but i'm too poor for it 31k for 1 year of pre-experience study =T.

ReputationRep:
    Just curious. What was your profile like? The £16k looks quite nice. Are you expected to graduate with first class or like 80+ average mark?
    ~72.5% average all 3 years in Econ at Exeter
    ~80% average in finance modules i've taken

(Original post by Oilfreak1)
    Warwick easily imo a targets a target, and £16500 isn't a sum of money i'd ever want to pass up. (in the process of obtaining a £4500 scholarship from imperial and having to jump through hoops).

I was considering MFA at LBS too but i'm too poor for it 31k for 1 year of pre-experience study =T.
    A target is a target indeed, hard to accurately describe opportunity differences between the top ones. Does that happen to be the Grundy fund or whatever its called? Received an email about that one.

Same for me too - don't think I can even afford the 31k + living costs even if I get accepted to LBS

ReputationRep:
    Since my thread got no response, I ask your permission, StefanG, to ask my question here hehe.

I received an offer from Warwick, for the MSc Business (Financial Management). From what I gathered here, Warwick IS a target institution. However this particular course is new thus has no track record and figures. Should I go for Cass (MSc Finance) or the course doesnt really matter as long as it is Warwick's and it has finance element in it? The fee of both courses is pretty much the same. I am planning to apply for Banking job.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minerdigger)
    Since my thread got no response, I ask your permission, StefanG, to ask my question here hehe.

I received an offer from Warwick, for the MSc Business (Financial Management). From what I gathered here, Warwick IS a target institution. However this particular course is new thus has no track record and figures. Should I go for Cass (MSc Finance) or the course doesnt really matter as long as it is Warwick's and it has finance element in it? The fee of both courses is pretty much the same. I am planning to apply for Banking job.

Thanks!
    Of course, I hope someone can provide some insight on the topic for you.

In my opinion if you are going PURELY for the job prospects, go to Cass. The course has got very good employment stats and I think you will be open to a lot of London based opportunities such as network events. Have a look at the Financial Times stats for Cass MSc Finance, it must place quite well into the market.

I don't know anything about a financial management course, but in my view if you want a job in finance you are much better going for a Finance/econ degree rather than a management one. New courses are also quite risky. Yes, they are part of a reputed institute, but do you really want to be the guinea pig?

If you are thinking about other aspects, then I would consider Warwick. I think its nicer to have Warwick on your CV, given its long standing reputation, rather than just a good business school linked with City uni. In addition, I much prefer a campus lifestyle to a London one. Live next to the business school, cheap living costs, etc... Remember, you want to enjoy the year too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.