Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in studying psychology at university and am currently studying at AS level and I start my uni application in June. The social aspect of psychology interest me the most and the University of Leicester offer a psychology with sociology major/minor course which looks appealing (both the course and the university).

I've researched combined honours and from what I've read it sounds as though you have twice as much reading/work to do for the same number of modules as a single honours student. I've also seen that it can lead tutors to look down on you as you're not doing their course 'properly' for want of a better word and both subjects believe theirs is more important and you get pulled in both directions.

So I was wondering if a major/minor course is a happy medium?

Is it worthwhile? Is there more or less or the same work/reading as a single honours student and is it more stressful, for those that have done it or are doing it, or have friends/family that have done it, not necessarily in psychology though...

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JakeMuttitt)
    I am interested in studying psychology at university and am currently studying at AS level and I start my uni application in June. The social aspect of psychology interest me the most and the University of Leicester offer a psychology with sociology major/minor course which looks appealing (both the course and the university).

I've researched combined honours and from what I've read it sounds as though you have twice as much reading/work to do for the same number of modules as a single honours student. I've also seen that it can lead tutors to look down on you as you're not doing their course 'properly' for want of a better word and both subjects believe theirs is more important and you get pulled in both directions.

Is it worthwhile? Is there more or less or the same work/reading as a single honours student and is it more stressful, for those that have done it or are doing it, or have friends/family that have done it, not necessarily in psychology though...

Thanks
    My boyfriend did an education with a minor in psychology degree and it didnt appear to be more work than a single honours degree was.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Twice is an exaggeration but from what I've heard from those doing a 50:50 split, in actuality it's like 60:60. A bit more work but it's not burdensome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeMuttitt)

Thanks
    Hi. It really depends. If you do a course which is specifically designed to be multiple honours (e.g. HSPS at cambridge) then since everyone is doing multiple different papers it is not relatively harder. The issue is when your doing a course like PPE or dual honours (like with a language) where your competing against single honours students doing the same exams - who may be advantaged strongly (or less so) by having done more modules on the same course than you. This may be less of an issue for certain subjects than others....

I've not heard this thing about tutors looking down on your for doing dual honours.

I'd recommend doing dual honours anyway though its much better to get a taste for different things at uni

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2016

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.