Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I've got a question on Fourier series, I know the answer i should be getting, however i'm getting the opposite sign. I've checked my work and just cant see where i have gone wrong, please help. Ill put my working below.
    If someone could inform me why im getting 12/(pi)(n) instead of -12/(pi)(n), i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramjam)
    Hi all

I've got a question on Fourier series, I know the answer i should be getting, however i'm getting the opposite sign. I've checked my work and just cant see where i have gone wrong, please help. Ill put my working below.
    If someone could inform me why im getting 12/(pi)(n) instead of -12/(pi)(n), i would be very grateful

Thanks in advance
    I'm a little puzzled as to where you got your expression for b_n. . .
    Should it not be b_n=\dfrac{1}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt?
    With this expression the result you want follows.

Edit: Also what is \omega here? You've written it in some places, and not others. . .
    An image of the question itself might be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    I'm a little puzzled as to where you got your expression for b_n. . .
    Should it not be b_n=\dfrac{1}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt?
    With this expression the result you want follows.

Edit: Also what is \omega here? You've written it in some places, and not others. . .
    An image of the question itself might be useful.
    It came from 'Modern Engineering Mathematics by Glyn James', it states that i can use that formula specifically for odd function. However I will work through using the original formula for bn and see what answer I achieve.

The question is on the working, in black pen, it is to find the fourier series of f (t) = 3 (-pi < t < 0) -3 (0 < t < pi

ReputationRep:
    It came from 'Modern Engineering Mathematics by Glyn James', it states that i can use that formula specifically for odd function. However I will work through using the original formula for bn and see what answer I achieve.

The question is on the working, in black pen, it is to find the fourier series of f (t) = 3 (-pi < t < 0) -3 (0 < t < pi
    I can't say I've seen that formula before, so I can't comment as to what's gone on there.
    All I can see is that for an odd function f on [-\pi,\pi] one can rewrite: b_n=\dfrac{2}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt.

Yeah, I figured that was the question, but then I don't see what \omega has to do with anything.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I've seen that formula before, so I can't comment as to what's gone on there.
    All I can see is that for an odd function f on [-\pi,\pi] one can rewrite: b_n=\dfrac{2}{\pi} \displaystyle\int_0^{\pi} f(t) \sin(nt) \ dt.

Yeah, I figured that was the question, but then I don't see what \omega has to do with anything.
    The \omega issue is just me making mistakes again (sorry)

I've reworked the question and reached a point in which i'm unsure on where to go from here. Whats do i have to do next? The point at which you assign odd and even values of n, although sounds simple always confuses me.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The \omega issue is just me making mistakes again (sorry)

I've reworked the question and reached a point in which i'm unsure on where to go from here. Whats do i have to do next? The point at which you assign odd and even values of n, although sounds simple always confuses me.
    There seems to be a mistake prior to that: f(t) changes sign in the interval, so you'll want to write:
    \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt .

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a mistake prior to that: f(t) changes sign in the interval, so you'll want to write:
    \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt .
    Whats happens after that? do you integrate between limits separately for both of those?

ReputationRep:
    Whats happens after that? do you integrate between limits separately for both of those?
    You could do that, or you could send t \mapsto -t in either integral to obtain a single integral, it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    You could do that, or you could send t \mapsto -t in either integral to obtain a single integral, it doesn't really matter.
    Well i'm getting no where quick, i just cant seem to get my head around this question, i must be making mistakes somewhere as it keeps going completly wrong

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm getting no where quick, i just cant seem to get my head around this question, i must be making mistakes somewhere as it keeps going completly wrong
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt

\Rightarrow \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt=\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} 3\sin(nt) \ dt - \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} 3\sin(nt) \ dt
    These integrals are then simple to evaluate.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt = \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt + \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt

\Rightarrow \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)\sin(nt) \ dt=\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} 3\sin(nt) \ dt - \displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} 3\sin(nt) \ dt
    These integrals are then simple to evaluate.
    from here would you integrate them to get it in terms of cos?

ReputationRep:
    from here would you integrate them to get it in terms of cos?
    Well I actually used the fact that \sin(nt) is odd to write\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{0} 3\sin(nt) \ dt=-\displaystyle\int_{0}^{\pi} 3\sin(nt) \ dt.
    But you could just as well integrate now.

ReputationRep:
    Hint: \displaystyle b_n=\frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} f(t)\sin (nt)~dt=-\frac{6}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin (nt)~dt (Since the integrand is an even function.)

Then note \displaystyle \cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n to tidy up your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poorform)
    Hint: \displaystyle b_n=\frac{2}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} f(t)\sin (nt)~dt=\frac{6}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin (nt)~dt (Since the integrand is an even function.)

Then note \displaystyle \cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n to tidy up your answer.
    You dropped a minus in your expression for b_n.

ReputationRep:
    You dropped a minus in your expression for b_n.
    Will update now thanks!

I (wrongly) assumed that f(t) was positive for positive t and negative for negative t.

Since I did a very similar question the other day that was defined that way haaaaa.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.