Turn on thread page Beta

Sexuality vs feelings watch

Announcements

With all sort of 'new' sexualities coming up now, I wonder how far we can push with that.

Let's say a clear gay goes on online dating web and find another guy with whom he connects. After countless of online chats they fall for each other and decides to meet. Turns out the online guy was a girl (don't ask me why or what), it's a made up story, I wonder if there are deep/real feelings, would that work out? Would that make him not a true gay? Or would he change, as in the fluidity concept of sexualities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    With all sort of 'new' sexualities coming up now, I wonder how far we can push with that.

Let's say a clear gay goes on online dating web and find another guy with whom he connects. After countless of online chats they fall for each other and decides to meet. Turns out the online guy was a girl (don't ask me why or what), it's a made up story, I wonder if there are deep/real feelings, would that work out? Would that make him not a true gay? Or would he change, as in the fluidity concept of sexualities?
    Regardless of whether the gay guy feels as though he has now fallen for a woman, I would say that the trust issues brought about by one person lying to another would cause the relationship to fail before it had even begun.

The thing about sexuality is that attraction to somebody involves falling for the whole of them. There's obviously an intellectual/emotional attraction, but then most people also rely on some physical attraction and connection with the other person. If a gay guy emotionally fell for a woman online (gay guys and gay girls emotionally fall in love with the opposite sex even in real life, just as straight guys and girls might find themselves falling in 'friend-love' with a member of the same sex) he wouldn't necessarily be able to make the relationship work out because the physical attraction wouldn't be there. Of course there are exceptions to everyone's general attractions, and sometimes a gay guy might find himself falling in emotional and physical love with a woman. In that case it's really up to the individual to identify as whatever they feel best describes them - some guys in that situation would still class themselves as being gay but with the one exception, others might adopt another label such as bi/pansexual/queer, and others might just talk about fluidity and the Kinsey scale.

ReputationRep:
    Especially with transgender things coming up now and bisexual, homosexual, seems the barriers have been pushed more then ever before

ReputationRep:
    What is a clear gay??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.