sahil19
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Someone please tell me which one's are dangerous in the body etc.
TheFactor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's Alpha that is the most dangerous as it is the least penetrating. ie when it gets in, it won't get out and can kill and damage various cells by ionising them.
The other 2 are dangerous 2, just not in the same way and capacity as alpha radiation.
A$aprocky
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sahil19)
Alpha is the most ionising but least penetrating. Gamma is least ionising but most penetrating. Both are very dangerous and can cause mutations. Beta is kind of in the middle and can still be dangerous.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Alpha is the most ionizing, beta is in the middle and gamma is the least.

In the body, an alpha source is the most dangerous, as most/all of the radiation will be absorbed by body tissue. A gamma source will be less damaging as it is significantly less ionizing, so most of the radiation will pass straight through your body. Beta radiation is somewhere in the middle.

Considering other times, it also affects the distance it travels through air - alpha radiation won't pass through more than a metre or so of air and can be stopped by just a piece of paper. However, gamma radiation can travel hundreds of metres before interacting with an atom :yep:
M14B
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Look also at wikipedia
Fractite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Alpha is the most ionising (dangerous) inside the body as it can't get out nor travel very far.

Gamma is arguably the least ionising inside the body as it passes straight out; however, it can travel very, very far and it takes a lot to stop it.

Beta is somewhere in the middle. It's also (technically) the most ionising outside of the body as Alpha doesn't travel very far and is stopped very easily, and gamma radiation is too weak.
sandvika
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alexion)
Alpha is the most ionizing, beta is in the middle and gamma is the least.

In the body, an alpha source is the most dangerous, as most/all of the radiation will be absorbed by body tissue. A gamma source will be less damaging as it is significantly less ionizing, so most of the radiation will pass straight through your body. Beta radiation is somewhere in the middle.

Considering other times, it also affects the distance it travels through air - alpha radiation won't pass through more than a metre or so of air and can be stopped by just a piece of paper. However, gamma radiation can travel hundreds of metres before interacting with an atom :yep:
ionising not ionizing
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sandvika)
ionising not ionizing
Well I'm sorry :unimpressed:

Spoiler:
Show
'MURICA!

Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Fractite)
Beta is somewhere in the middle. It's also (technically) the most ionising outside of the body as Alpha doesn't travel very far and is stopped very easily, and gamma radiation is too weak.
Alpha particles don't travel very far because they're the most ionising. i.e. they're the most likely to interact with particles.
sahil19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks lads!
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks lads!
np :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (87)
24.3%
No (271)
75.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed