Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm interested in a Pakistani girl and time is running out Watch

ReputationRep:
    look i don't want to be harsh but i think its best to be blatantly honest:
    if she really loves her religion as u said- she won't by any chance marry a Sikh boy unless u wholeheartedly convert
    and that too start practicing islam after marriage so that u didn't just convert for the sake of getting her hand in marriage
    but hey cross that bridge if it comes to it- see if feelings are there first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I honestly can't think of any issues to be faced. As long as she says yes, the situation is very simple.
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    lol you clearly dont know much about pakistani muslim family's
    OP Ishea just gave you the answer. Its a reality and it sucks but this is how it is. Even within Muslims, there's different denominations, like sunnis, shias, ahmadis, wahabis and even they don't marry within. Its real stupid tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm actually a Sikh. Of course I have no problem with marrying someone outside my religion and would never impose it on anyone. In fact I'd encourage her to be a good Muslim if I got serious and married her.
    If you wanted her to be a good Muslim, then that would involve not being with you because actively being with a non-Muslim man intentionally is like having sex outside of marriage in Islam (even if you are legally married in the Western sense), so essentially she would be incurring massive massive sins and potentially go to Hell just to be wih you...

I'd drop the idea, and her family would never agree also... if you want what's truly best for her, don't make her compromise herself and her religion for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrokenLife)
    OP Ishea just gave you the answer. Its a reality and it sucks but this is how it is. Even within Muslims, there's different denominations, like sunnis, shias, ahmadis, wahabis and even they don't marry within. Its real stupid tbh.
    the funny thing is that you dont even know if she likes you and you are thinking of marriage
    it does show that you do really want to commit to it though
    i really hope it works out

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense though - if one believes that what they are on is the truth, then why would they risk having their children and family members influenced and poluted by introducing someone into their close family with completely different beliefs?

There is the misconception that people can have a happy family where they coexist and just stick to their own beliefs without confict, but the reality is that the very foundations of Islam necessitates sticking to the truth, so there cannot be two truths living equally side by side but that they inherently conflict and seek the extinguishment of the other; the only way a mixed faith/sect marriage would work is if both husband and wife were ignorant or non-practicing :holmes:

Ahmadis aren't Muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zamestaneh)
    If you wanted her to be a good Muslim, then that would involve not being with you because actively being with a non-Muslim man intentionally is like being having sex outside of marriage in Islam (even if you are legally married in the Western sense), so essentially she would be incurring massive massive sins and potentially go to Hell just to to be wih you...

I'd drop the idea, and her family would never agree also... if you want what's truly best for her, don't make her compromise herself and her religion for you
    Lol was gna type this . Gj I came to the second page .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    the funny thing is that you dont even know if she likes you and you are thinking of marriage
    it does show that you do really want to commit to it though
    i really hope it works out
    Agreed

It makes sense though - if one believes that what they are on is the truth, then why would they risk having their children and family members influenced and poluted by introducing someone into their close family with completely different beliefs?

There is the misconception that people can have a happy family where they coexist and just stick to their own beliefs without confict, but the reality is that the very foundations of Islam necessitates sticking to the truth, so there cannot be two truths living equally side by side but that they inherently conflict and seek the extinguishment of the other; the only way a mixed faith/sect marriage would work is if both husband and wife were ignorant or non-practicing :holmes:
    I agree that interfaith relationships are only for those who are open minded and non-practicing. If the girl is not very religious, then it would work. but if she is, no hope lol.

ReputationRep:
    Only religion I follow is compassion, rest of them can go stuff it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that interfaith relationships are only for those who are open minded and non-practicing. If the girl is not very religious, then it would work. but if she is, no hope lol.
    True, but even if she was non-practicing, from my perspective, I would still strongly discourage the interfaith marriage because if she isn't practicing, then this will add another massive block in the way of her ever getting close to the religion in the future, because being realistic, not many people do actually become more religious after having a mixed faith marriage; at least with a normal marriage to a Muslim, she would be inclined to become more religious one day... The marriage would function but otherwise it's still religious suicide for even a non-practicing Muslim, in summary.

ReputationRep:
    True, but even if she was non-practicing, from my perspective, I would still strongly discourage the interfaith marriage because if she isn't practicing, then this will add another massive block in the way of her ever getting close to the religion in the future, because being realistic, not many people do actually become more religious after having a mixed faith marriage; at least with a normal marriage to a Muslim, she would be inclined to become more religious one day... The marriage would function but otherwise it's still religious suicide for even a non-practicing Muslim, in summary.
    Yeah I see where you're coming from but what if she isn't interested in becoming religious anyway? Anyhow, I believe one should do what they wish to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see where you're coming from but what if she isn't interested in becoming religious anyway? Anyhow, I believe one should do what they wish to.
    From my own conscience, I would still want her to get married to a Muslim - she might not want to be religious at the moment but really there are moments in people's lives where something just clicks and it suddenly dawns on them that they need to make that change in their life... the alternative is to leave her to be accountable for her own downfall; 'free choice' seems like a rosy concept but inevitably humans will either make or break themselves with it, and I feel it's my duty as a Muslim to help facilitate the best use of that 'free choice' towards doing good rather than bad, even if they do not see the bad in their own actions.

'By time [which is running out],

Indeed mankind is in loss [in this life and the next];

Except those who believe and do righteous deeds and advise each other to truth and advise each other to patience' [Surah Asr]

ReputationRep:
    and when children came and both argued as to what religion they would follow? one doing what they wish to is pretty reckless, needs to be some level of maturity in making life decisions.

ReputationRep:
    From my own conscience, I would still want her to get married to a Muslim - she might not want to be religious at the moment but really there are moments in people's lives where something just clicks and it suddenly dawns on them that they need to make that change in their life... the alternative is to leave her to be accountable for her own downfall; 'free choice' seems like a rosy concept but inevitably humans will either make or break themselves with it, and I feel it's my duty as a Muslim to help facilitate the best use of that 'free choice' towards doing good rather than bad, even if they do not see the bad in their own actions.

'By time [which is running out],

Indeed mankind is in loss [in this life and the next];

Except those who believe and do righteous deeds and advise each other to truth and advise each other to patience' [Surah Asr]
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    and when children came and both argued as to what religion they would follow? one doing what they wish to is pretty reckless, needs to be some level of maturity in making life decisions.
    Guys, you're more than welcome to marry Muslims and no one is telling you not to. However, you cannot tell someone who to marry either. Also, there are many Muslims who are Muslims by name only and don't really believe in Islam or have very little faith and are very open minded and easy going and yes I know many of such Muslims and I'm one of them too. This means that they couldn't careless what their children chose to follow, Islam, Shikism or being a non believer.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, you're more than welcome to marry Muslims and no one is telling you not to. However, you cannot tell someone who to marry either. Also, there are many Muslims who are Muslims by name only and don't really believe in Islam or have very little faith and are very open minded and easy going and yes I know many of such Muslims and I'm one of them too. This means that they couldn't careless what their children chose to follow, Islam, Shikism or being a non believer.
    im not saying this on my behalf, i dont follow religion, its what someone who follows the religion would say. a muslim women who practices would never think of marrying a sikh person, that makes no sense at all... its not a case of saying who to marry or not, open minded to marry a non muslim means you dont believe in your religion to adhere to one of the main rules. if muslim by name then they should not call themselves a muslim when it suits them and pick and choose what is for their benefit. common sense really.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not compelling, I'm just advising in the best interest of my fellow human beings according to the truth which God will inevitably judge us by and hold us accountable to, irrespective of whatever personal beliefs we do or do not have

ReputationRep:
    im not saying this on my behalf, i dont follow religion, its what someone who follows the religion would say. a muslim women who practices would never think of marrying a sikh person, that makes no sense at all... its not a case of saying who to marry or not, open minded to marry a non muslim means you dont believe in your religion to adhere to one of the main rules. if muslim by name then they should not call themselves a muslim when it suits them and pick and choose what is for their benefit. common sense really.
    Okay understandable. This is obvious that a religious Muslim will never marry a non-Muslim but how can the OP know that she's religious? Just cos she wears hijab doesn't mean she's religious.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not compelling, I'm just advising in the best interest of my fellow human beings according to the truth which God will inevitably judge us by and hold us accountable to, irrespective of whatever personal beliefs we do or do not have
    Well, that's good of you to give advice. sorry if I misunderstood you.

ReputationRep:
    Okay understandable. This is obvious that a religious Muslim will never marry a non-Muslim but how can the OP know that she's religious? Just cos she wears hijab doesn't mean she's religious.
    its not about being religious lol, its just being muslim, a muslim female doesnt marry a non muslim, religious or just a mere normal follower, i dont think thats something crazy to say, i thought this was fact? he doesnt know she is religious but again being reckless now will lead to future issues. i dont say whether i agree or disagree, just stating what the fact is.

ReputationRep:
    In her defence, it's not sufficient to call someone a non-Muslim just because they chose not to follow a rule, rather it's just sinful to do that, and although it is unIslamic and sinful to call something which is sinful 'not sinful', this does not always in of itself make someone a non-Muslim

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.