Watch
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi to all,

I'm looking at both DM and CS, with the current idea / goal / illusion of going into data science or some quantitative field.

First of all if anyone knows if this is the right or wrong choice I'd be appreciative of any advice as information relating to DM courses are limited.

Onto my main question however, is DM just like Computer Science with maths or is there a distinct difference.

For all other universities I'm looking at pure CS and wondered if applying to a DM course would be so mathy it would look rather odd.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the rather bland post but I figured where-better than the Warwick thread,

Matthew

P.S. If anyone is doing DM anything you could tell me would be a blessing at this stage ( and yes, I will be going to the open day )
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think that for all intents and purposes, Warwick's Discrete Maths course is just their name for computer science and maths joint honours. The only difference may be that the computer science and maths elements are more tightly integrated than at other universities. I've certainly applied under the assumption that it is more or less the same as a CS and maths joint honours.

I think that applying for Discrete Maths at Warwick and straight CS elsewhere would be a bit odd, since approximately half the Discrete Maths course is maths (as far as I know). The reverse, applying to mostly joint honours courses and one straight CS one (e.g. at Imperial where JMC is allegedly super maths intensive) is more understandable. You don't need to worry about how it will look - universities don't see who else you've applied to, and you can easily write your personal statement to cover both. But you do need to decide which way your interests lie.
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied to a DM and CS courses, got offers in both.
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
I think that for all intents and purposes, Warwick's Discrete Maths course is just their name for computer science and maths joint honours. The only difference may be that the computer science and maths elements are more tightly integrated than at other universities. I've certainly applied under the assumption that it is more or less the same as a CS and maths joint honours.

I think that applying for Discrete Maths at Warwick and straight CS elsewhere would be a bit odd, since approximately half the Discrete Maths course is maths (as far as I know). The reverse, applying to mostly joint honours courses and one straight CS one (e.g. at Imperial where JMC is allegedly super maths intensive) is more understandable. You don't need to worry about how it will look - universities don't see who else you've applied to, and you can easily write your personal statement to cover both. But you do need to decide which way your interests lie.

Really interesting. Thank you once again, it's interesting with the maths: computing ratio and it's something I'll have a closer look at.

(Original post by Bobjim12)
I applied to a DM and CS courses, got offers in both.
Thanks - interesting.
If you don't mind me asking what subjects and predicted grades do you have? Trying to gauge both subjects and grades for different universities.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EricAteYou)
Really interesting. Thank you once again, it's interesting with the maths: computing ratio and it's something I'll have a closer look at.

Thanks - interesting.
If you don't mind me asking what subjects and predicted grades do you have? Trying to gauge both subjects and grades for different universities.
Sure. Maths/F.Maths/Computing/Physics with prediction A*AAA
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Sure. Maths/F.Maths/Computing/Physics with prediction A*AAA
Oooh, well good luck!

I'm not doing further maths, but have Maths, Computing and Politics at a prediction ( could all change ) at A*A*A. My research is telling me verge more towards pure Comp Sci, but even then without the FM I fear I could be at a disadvantage?
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oooh, well good luck!

I'm not doing further maths, but have Maths, Computing and Politics at a prediction ( could all change ) at A*A*A. My research is telling me verge more towards pure Comp Sci, but even then without the FM I fear I could be at a disadvantage?
At very top unis it is preferable, is there a reason why you're not? (e.g. it isn't offered at your school?)
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
At very top unis it is preferable, is there a reason why you're not? (e.g. it isn't offered at your school?)
Just missed out the A* at GCSE so chose not to do it ( A* to do it ). Did alright, but not badly, at GCSE but suddenly doing extremely well at A-Level.

That's my problem unfortunatly.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just missed out the A* at GCSE so chose not to do it ( A* to do it ). Did alright, but not badly, at GCSE but suddenly doing extremely well at A-Level.

That's my problem unfortunatly.
Well, if you get an A in those two subjects then that's so far so good, is your school not entering you for a 4th AS? (i understand the changes).
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Well, if you get an A in those two subjects then that's so far so good, is your school not entering you for a 4th AS? (i understand the changes).
No, I'm doing an EPQ - with the intention of something computer science related.

Hopefully that will plug some gaps.
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No, I'm doing an EPQ - with the intention of something computer science related.

Hopefully that will plug some gaps.
That and a good personal statement could do nicely.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi to all,

I'm looking at both DM and CS, with the current idea / goal / illusion of going into data science or some quantitative field.

First of all if anyone knows if this is the right or wrong choice I'd be appreciative of any advice as information relating to DM courses are limited.

Onto my main question however, is DM just like Computer Science with maths or is there a distinct difference.

For all other universities I'm looking at pure CS and wondered if applying to a DM course would be so mathy it would look rather odd.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the rather bland post but I figured where-better than the Warwick thread,

Matthew

P.S. If anyone is doing DM anything you could tell me would be a blessing at this stage ( and yes, I will be going to the open day )
Warwick has a data science course, I'll be hopefully studying it come October

It's a solid blend of maths, statistics and computer science. Plus, being administered by the Stats department, there's potentially more support available than through the Discrete Maths course. For example, the tutors you'll have during seminars will be housed in the Maths/Stats department rather than, say the CS department.

Notts has a data science course as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Warwick has a data science course, I'll be hopefully studying it come October

It's a solid blend of maths, statistics and computer science. Plus, being administered by the Stats department, there's potentially more support available than through the Discrete Maths course. For example, the tutors you'll have during seminars will be housed in the Maths/Stats department rather than, say the CS department.

Notts has a data science course as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, really interesting ! I was looking at the data science course but I felt it would limit my options if I decided Data Science wasn't my cup of tea later on.

It looks like an interesting course though, and something I'll look at!
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks, really interesting ! I was looking at the data science course but I felt it would limit my options if I decided Data Science wasn't my cup of tea later on.

It looks like an interesting course though, and something I'll look at!
Nevermind the name!! It's a Maths, Stats and CS degree at its core - i.e. you can chop and change between those three subjects very easily. Your career prospects aren't limited as the same variety of jobs will be open to you.

Definitely check it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
EricAteYou
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Nevermind the name!! It's a Maths, Stats and CS degree at its core - i.e. you can chop and change between those three subjects very easily. Your career prospects aren't limited as the same variety of jobs will be open to you.

Definitely check it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the early week blues thst's confusing me

The modules look really interesting, something I'll look when I visit later on! I think I'll look at doing STEP possibly to ease the entry grades!

Cheers!
Bobjim12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Definitely check it out

Posted from TSR Mobile
I completely forgot about this course! It looks pretty cool.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (126)
14.6%
I'm not sure (39)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (261)
30.24%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.55%
I'm not a current university student (415)
48.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed