Turn on thread page Beta

Extra/clearing question watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know, if a course is in UCAS extra, does that make it anymore likely that it'll be in clearing?

I'm just thinking ahead in case disaster strikes and results day, and I saw a couple of courses that I might be interested in listed in UCAS extra (one at Cardiff and one at Lancaster)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Does anybody know, if a course is in UCAS extra, does that make it anymore likely that it'll be in clearing?

I'm just thinking ahead in case disaster strikes and results day, and I saw a couple of courses that I might be interested in listed in UCAS extra (one at Cardiff and one at Lancaster)
    probably, ive been looking at them too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratva10)
    probably, ive been looking at them too
    Perhaps I should too? I don't want to think negatively but most of those exams were completely disastrous for me. I am going to have to at some point go back on the UCAS site and find out more about my options just in case results day confirms my worst fears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Perhaps I should too? I don't want to think negatively but most of those exams were completely disastrous for me. I am going to have to at some point go back on the UCAS site and find out more about my options just in case results day confirms my worst fears.
    yeah, hope for the best be prepared for the worst,lol, but one thing calms me now... no matter what happens ill end up at some uni,, well most of us will i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bratva10)
    yeah, hope for the best be prepared for the worst,lol, but one thing calms me now... no matter what happens ill end up at some uni,, well most of us will i think

Yes but I don't want to end up doing a course I hate or be at a university that I don't want to be in. If it's so terrible I might retake...my goodness we really should start thinking positively...it can't have been that bad but it's the waiting and wondering that's so painful!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but I don't want to end up doing a course I hate or be at a university that I don't want to be in. If it's so terrible I might retake...my goodness we really should start thinking positively...it can't have been that bad but it's the waiting and wondering that's so painful!
    There's some surprisingly decent univerisites with places in clearing. I had a look at last year's list on the mirror website, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on East Anglia, Cardiff, Essex and Lancaster, who all had politics/joint honours politics courses open. I actually think I'd be more disapointed with actually missing the grades rather than having to go to any of those places, although I do really want to get to Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    There's some surprisingly decent univerisites with places in clearing. I had a look at last year's list on the mirror website, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on East Anglia, Cardiff, Essex and Lancaster, who all had politics/joint honours politics courses open. I actually think I'd be more disapointed with actually missing the grades rather than having to go to any of those places, although I do really want to get to Nottingham.
    I'm just worried that if I do have to go through clearing I won't be able to do English Lit as that's a really popular course, although you've made me feel much better about it all

ReputationRep:
    I'm just worried that if I do have to go through clearing I won't be able to do English Lit as that's a really popular course, although you've made me feel much better about it all
    There were some reasonable unis in clearing for english lit I think. The only ones I can remember right now were Lancaster and Keele, but I'll have another look at the list when I can actually get the damn thing to load.

ReputationRep:
    There were some reasonable unis in clearing for english lit I think. The only ones I can remember right now were Lancaster and Keele, but I'll have another look at the list when I can actually get the damn thing to load.
    I rejected Lancaster but wouldn't mind going there if everything goes wrong. It's pretty good for English Lit. Thanks Frances.

ReputationRep:

No -if they fill their course in Extra, and no one fails to make their grades, the course probably will not be in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    I rejected Lancaster but wouldn't mind going there if everything goes wrong. It's pretty good for English Lit. Thanks Frances.
    Yeah, I rejected them too, but I wouldn't mind going there either. I nearly put them as my insurance anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    No -if they fill their course in Extra, and no one fails to make their grades, the course probably will not be in clearing.
    Hmm, well I guess I'll have to hope they don't fill their spaces then. Still, according to the mirrors list of clearing spaces for last year, they were still avaliable then, so I can hope. Of course, ideally, I'd prefer to just get the grades in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well I guess I'll have to hope they don't fill their spaces then. Still, according to the mirrors list of clearing spaces for last year, they were still avaliable then, so I can hope. Of course, ideally, I'd prefer to just get the grades in the first place.
    Extra only started last year as a method for getting people with no offers on to courses and to releave the presure on Clearing. I'm guessing it wasn't used as widely as it might have been due to the who fear of the unknown thing, especially amongst teachers.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the course doesn't fill up in Extra, although I'm sure you will get into one of your two choices...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Extra only started last year as a method for getting people with no offers on to courses and to releave the presure on Clearing. I'm guessing it wasn't used as widely as it might have been due to the who fear of the unknown thing, especially amongst teachers.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the course doesn't fill up in Extra, although I'm sure you will get into one of your two choices...
    Well I should get the grades. I'm on AAA from last year, so to not get ABB (Nottingham) or BBB (Sheffield) would be pretty bad. Strange as it must sound to some people, the one I'm most worried about is media, where the exams went pretty awful. But thanks

One of the courses I was interested in was politics/religious studies. It seems like a pretty unusal combination, so I'm hoping that will be on my side should I need it.

ReputationRep:

I've been looking at them too. It means they've got spare places. But some places don't participate in Extra at all... I'm trying to work out a couple of second choices as I'm holding just one offer, but I really, really don't want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mussed)
    I've been looking at them too. It means they've got spare places. But some places don't participate in Extra at all... I'm trying to work out a couple of second choices as I'm holding just one offer, but I really, really don't want to
    I don't doubt for a second that you'll get your AAA and be on your way to Oxford.

Then again, nobody I know seems to have any doubt that I'll get the ABB. Everybody has confidence in my ability but me it seems. I think my media teacher will be more disapointed than me if I don't get an A.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has confidence in my ability but me it seems. I think my media teacher will be more disapointed than me if I don't get an A.
    Exactly the same for me. I need an ABB, but the A needs to be for English Lit, however, I struggled with timing during the Reading for Meaning paper and now fear the worst. My predicted grades are along the lines of AABB which everyone assumes I'll get but most of those exams were horrible . It'll be lovely if I manage it but I think I'll still be pretty happy as long as I end up doing English Lit at a reasonable university so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same for me. I need an ABB, but the A needs to be for English Lit, however, I struggled with timing during the Reading for Meaning paper and now fear the worst. My predicted grades are along the lines of AABB which everyone assumes I'll get but most of those exams were horrible . It'll be lovely if I manage it but I think I'll still be pretty happy as long as I end up doing English Lit at a reasonable university so fingers crossed.
    Ah well, at least you didn't have to analyse a bit of CBBC talking about fame academy. All the hard work I've put in to the last two years, and then my final grade boils down to that. I think think AQA were on crack when they set that. It was insulting.And needed to be longer.*bitter*

ReputationRep:
    English clearing places from last year, if you were wondering (I left out the really crappy ones):

Aberystwyth
    Bangor
    Birmingham
    West of England
    East Anglia
    Essex
    Keele
    Lancaster
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Loughbourh
    Manchester
    Some of those might have been joint honours rather than straight english though (to lazy to look up the individual course codes )

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Thanks! Where did you get this list from? I feel ever so hopeful now! If I had to choose from there I'd pick: Loughbourh, Manchester, Lancaster or East Anglia...Yes I'm getting carried away

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.