Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear Mrs Brown,
    I am writing today to express my concerns about the new school policy of abolishing school uniform. I believe that this new policy will bring many students such as myself a great struggle.
    In today’s society, students forget about the real reason for going to school and focus on their appearance and popularity. If public schools were to bring in school uniforms, this would cut back on the ‘socio-economic’ differences, wearing a single standard of dress code takes away the pressure of what to wear, so students are less likely to focus their attention on how they look but rather on their education. This will help remove social barriers and eliminates prejudice amongst students.
    From my point of view, uniforms make pupils look smarter compared to casual apparel and this gives outsiders a good impression of the school. As well as that, uniform acts as a social- leveller under which all students are equal in the eyes of the school and each other. Most importantly, students don’t have to worry about buying the latest clothing in order to fit in, they could wear the same outfit every day without worrying if their peers will accept their fashion sense. Why should any child feel inferior due to the clothing they wear?
    It may be true as some people state that uniform does suppress individuality but it is, in fact, this individuality that causes social stigma and results in bullying. Due to this reason I have a strong belief that uniform gives students a sense of belonging and creates an identity for the school in the community. It provides students with comfort, confidence and courage which helps remove a severe burden about what they should wear every morning just to be ‘accepted’ by their friends.
    People say that uniform provides parents with financial stress as they have to replace the uniform every year as students are ever-growing but what about that stress that parents receive when their child insists them to buy them a £250 pair of jeans because their friends have them?
    Wearing a proper uniform can reduce violence inside the campus. How? It makes it easy for authorities and administrators to recognise students from outsiders. Lately, we have seen on the news that many schools are being attacked and students can be at risk. Uniforms prevent non-students from getting inside the campus, thereby avoiding the possibility of them committing disruptive acts. Isn’t the safety of students the students the most important thing?
    In many researches, it is proven that school uniforms can improve learning by reducing distraction, sharpening focus on school work and allowing students to perform better automatically. Clearly, you would want this for your students?
    In conclusion, allowing students to continue on wearing casual apparel will bring a negative effect on the students and lower their self-esteem which will discourage them to come to school and will lower their attendance which has various disadvantages. Whilst freedom is important and children should have a right to wear what they want, it does bring struggle and injustice upon many other students.
    Wearing a uniform provides students with a myriad of benefits. It not only promotes a better learning environment, but it also instils positive values in them. This will help them to become better individuals and learn to discipline themselves and enable themselves to follow rules in the future.
    I deeply hope that my suggestion is brought to your consideration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.