Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recent mock,i got a high D(61 out of 200).How can i get a B
    Thanks youuu

ReputationRep:
    GCSE or A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year ten and our teacher tells us if we want to get a good grade we should organize our work clearly, with colour code if needed as it is easy to revise from. You should also ask ask questions if you don't understand the concept of the work set as then you will be better prepared for the exam
    hope this is helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    GCSE or A-Level?
    It looks like it must be GCSE as it is out of 200.

Mostly just practice questions, particularly those you get wrong. You should also look over past questions you got correct so you can see your pattern of thought and what you did well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iwannagoodgrade)
    Thanks youuu
    you can do it! work really hard, do loads of revision - practice papers and questions. keep going over it - you will achieve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abigail2001)
    I'm in year ten and our teacher tells us if we want to get a good grade we should organize our work clearly, with colour code if needed as it is easy to revise from. You should also ask ask questions if you don't understand the concept of the work set as then you will be better prepared for the exam
    hope this is helpful!
    Whats more important is to use website like HegartyMaths and ExamSolutions to understand EVERY topic, and then do many past papers and questions to drill everything i nto your head. If you do this, by the time you reach exams it will be a breeze.

ReputationRep:
    -work.

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesy11)
    It looks like it must be GCSE as it is out of 200.

Mostly just practice questions, particularly those you get wrong. You should also look over past questions you got correct so you can see your pattern of thought and what you did well.
    I think the OP will benefit more from that information than me personally

I did my GCSE's in 2010 :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I find that just doing a lot of MyMaths (if your school has it) is really good. Make sure to know the formulas (e.g. for volumes of 3d shapes, etc.) and doing a lot of questions in general is probably the best way to progress.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    61/200 is pretty embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    turn up to class = C
    turn up to class & do homework = B
    turn up to class, do homework & revision = A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iwannagoodgrade)
    Thanks youuu
    Mathswatch is the best. I got a grade C on the higher paper at first, and then I achieved an A* in the real thing.

ReputationRep:
    Do lots of practice questions. Thats how i boosted my grades.
    Also make sure to do lots of work in lessons and ask the teacher to help you with anything youre stuck on.
    I used youtube videos to help with some of the really tricky stuff. You can watch it over and make notes and learn to figure it out.
    A method to test your skills is to do past papers. You can then learn your strengths and weaknesses.
    This is what i did and i got a B overall. I couldve started earlier but i kept procrastinating.
    Dont procrastinate.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'd suggest you write lots of past papers and mark them according to the mark scheme. Be a bit hard on yourself while marking them. Also, I think making a daily revision schedule would be beneficial

Good luck and hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    A combination of past papers, MathsWatch and examsolutions.net and you'll have no problems getting a B

ReputationRep:
    I got a B in my last mock (2 marks off of an A) (Non-calc B and Calc A) and I'm targetted an A. In the winter mocks I got a C so I've jumped nearly 2 grades. This might not work for you but at the moment it's working for me.
    1) If you're stuck on something, ask your teacher.
    This helps so much more than you think as it prevents holes from appearing in your knowledge and helps you to understand more topics. If your school offers revision sessions, (if you can) DO THEM. Having a 1 to 1 (or near enough) tutoring with your teacher will greatly help you to develop your understanding of tricky topics and I can't think of someone better to help you understand maths than somebody who's spent years working with it.

2) Use past papers!
    Past papers are quite easily available and you can do 1 or 2 a week, mark them, see what grade you got (which makes you feel better if you got a good grade) and it shows you where you need to revise. Hopefully this will strengthen your weakest topics and give you a good all round knowledge. The internet is one of your best resources, youtube has plenty of videos explaining different topics and there are websites specifically for maths, where you can find tricky topics and improve.

3) Revision revision revision!
    Although you could count the last 2 as revision, this bit expands on helping you to understand maths. If you're doing Edexcel, then get the appropriate revision guide (your school may sell them at a discounted price); these are normally simplified to help you to understand without having to read the equivalent of an essay :3. They will (well at least mine does) have pretty pictures and diagrams with helpful annotations to help you to understand what's happening where, and how it links to what you've just read about. You can also make posters with key info on and notes which summarise topics and contain key info too.

Helpful Links
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tecmath/videos
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z6pfb9q <--- (BBC Bitesize is a pretty good source of info).

I really hope that this helps you :3 Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iKiss.)
    Mathswatch is the best. I got a grade C on the higher paper at first, and then I achieved an A* in the real thing.
    Very noice

ReputationRep:
    Just practise, I have never ever seen a person getting anything less than a B at GCSE level given that they did a bit of work.

ReputationRep:
    As nearly everyone has said, revision is essential but you need to do effective revision.
    By effective, it means you need to organise yourself. Start by looking through the different modules and rate them based on how confident and how good you are at that topic, my maths teacher always made us do this at GCSE. Then you must focus on these weaker areas as these will be the questions which will cause you to lose marks. Try to lots of questions whether they are from a textbook or another resource such as mymaths, I did my GCSEs a few years ago so I'm unsure of the best resources to go to now. Hopefully by doing this you can improve on these weaker areas but also ensure that you keep up with other topics, even those you feel confident in. Once you have exhausted this, you can try past papers, make sure to mark these and go through any that you got wrong, if needed use the mark scheme to guide you through the answer and make sure you understand where you went wrong and how to do it correctly next time. This is what I have done for all my maths exams and it has served me well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    turn up to class = C
    turn up to class & do homework = B
    turn up to class, do homework & revision = A
    turn up to class, do homework & revision & be a part of a study group = A*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.