Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    "A rival company Y sells bulbs with a mean lifetime of 860 hours and 20% of these bulbs have a lifetime of less than 818 hours.
    (c) Find the standard deviation of the lifetimes of bulbs from company Y."

The mark scheme says that the z value equates to 0.8416 but can someone explain why this is so?
    Because I drew out the diagram for it and since 20% of the bulbs have a lifetime of less than 818 hours, surely the Z value should equal a probability of z being less than 0.2 and in the normal distribution tables, this means that Z=0.4000.

0.8416 isn't even a probability in the tables, the closest one to it is 0.8413 and thats for when z=1. Argghhh I'm so confused!!!

(Btw I understand how to use the standardisation equation, I am just unsure why the z value that this equates to is 0.8416).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    "A rival company Y sells bulbs with a mean lifetime of 860 hours and 20% of these bulbs have a lifetime of less than 818 hours.

The mark scheme says that the z value equates to 0.8416 but can someone explain why this is so?
    Because I drew out the diagram for it and since 20% of the bulbs have a lifetime of less than 818 hours, surely the Z value should equal a probability of z being less than 0.2 and in the normal distribution tables, this means that Z=0.4000.

0.8416 isn't even a probability in the tables, the closest one to it is 0.8413 and thats for when z=1. Argghhh I'm so confused!!!

(Btw I understand how to use the standardisation equation, I am just unsure why the z value that this equates to is 0.8416).
    It seems like you're looking at the wrong bits of the table.

You're right in that P(Z<z) = 0.2 for some z value that corresponds to a Y value (if we say Y~N(860, standard deviation^2)) so you need to find that z value and work your magic with the standardisation to find the thing you're looking for.

Which exam board are you with, by the way? Different boards have different tables and for Edexcel for example you can't directly read off P(Z<z) = 0.2

ReputationRep:

So we want P(Z < z) = 0.2 Which is the same as saying P(Z> -z) = 0.2 - from which, the percentage points table lets you say that -z = 0.8416, the percentage points table is the table below the normal distribution table in your formula booklet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    It seems like you're looking at the wrong bits of the table.

You're right in that P(Z<z) = 0.2 for some z value that corresponds to a Y value (if we say Y~N(860, standard deviation^2)) so you need to find that z value and work your magic with the standardisation to find the thing you're looking for.

Which exam board are you with, by the way? Different boards have different tables and for Edexcel for example you can't directly read off P(Z<z) = 0.2
    I'm doing Edexcel and I haven't seen the formula booklet yet, but in the textbook theres a whole page with the normal distribution table and then on the next page theres a percentage points table but I never know which one to use!

(Original post by Zacken)
    So we want P(Z < z) = 0.2 Which is the same as saying P(Z> -z) = 0.2 - from which, the percentage points table lets you say that -z = 0.8416, the percentage points table is the table below the normal distribution table in your formula booklet.
    Ohhh okay I see that now. But how do you know when to use the normal distribution table and when to use the percentage points table? Because 0.2 for example is on both tables, but each has a different value for it

ReputationRep:

Ohhh okay I see that now. But how do you know when to use the normal distribution table and when to use the percentage points table? Because 0.2 for example is on both tables, but each has a different value for it
    0.2 isn't in the normal table. The normal table starts from 0.5.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel and I haven't seen the formula booklet yet, but in the textbook theres a whole page with the normal distribution table and then on the next page theres a percentage points table but I never know which one to use!

0.2 is a probability (so a p or phi value) not a z value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    0.2 is a probability (so a p or phi value) not a z value.
    (Original post by Zacken)
    0.2 isn't in the normal table. The normal table starts from 0.5.
    Ah I've been reading off the wrong columns :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Well, by the central limit theorem: the sample means will be normally distributed.
    QED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiggaQuestions)
    Well, by the central limit theorem: the sample means will be normally distributed.
    QED
    Hilarious.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.