Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I am not an ugly man, sure am fat now and always been plain but never actually ugly just with low self esteem.

Over the years a lot of girls who have liked me have done so due to liking my type as in guys with glasses and non styled hair(the geek look basically) other girls which doesn't bother me as much liked me because I am built like a rugby player so feel safe in my arms.

Then there is girls who actually thought I was attractive.

None of the reasons really helped my self esteem much as it felt it wasn't me they were attracted to but some physical trait.

Then again none were as bad as a girl fancying me because she thought I was the type to never cheat and used words like "looks aren't important" which made me feel she thought I wasn't physically attractive and heard similar things from other girls.

My ideal scenario where a girl likes my actual personality and thinks theres no problem with my looks (not that they can't be improved just she finds me attractive enough physically as is) and then individually she may like the fact I have glasses and the such.

What are your thoughts on what you like in a partner and what you dislike being judged on.

I don't like being known as the funny guy too much, because then I feel like an entertainer and the expectations are high and it's stressful if I don't meet them ygm, people get used to it as well which is annoying in long term relationships.

My boyfriend says he likes me because my face is plain and "nice" looking like the type of girl you wouldn't mind your parents seeing you with. I guess this is a compliment but I'm not sure if looking like a "nice" girl is a reason to be attracted to me.

I've never been good looking so I think I'd be happy if someone were attracted to me for my appearance but obviously personality and intelligence last longer and take more work
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.