Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it too late to go around asking solicitors' firms for legal work experience? Y12 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomnomnomm)
    ahaha, yeah, i'm aware i'm pretty much useless at this stage, and that i won't be doing anything significant/interesting in the work experience i get still, headstarts are always nice! oh man, and if it helps with the ps that would be just ideal since honestly that's something i'm really dreading :s but hey, work experience should help give it some padding
    it's just nice to have something to bulk up my CV and/or my personal statement (... if that's the kind of thing you're supposed to put in there, anyway)
    Advice:

You are applying to study law as an academic discipline. This is a different ballgame from law in practice. Don't lose sight of that. Mention your work experience, but do not spend a long time talking about it, and be sure to link it back in the end to why you are interested in academic law.

If I were you I would read about some topical legal issues over summer. Pick an issue, discuss it in your PS, and, again, show how this relates to and develops your interest in studying law as an academic subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Advice:

You are applying to study law as an academic discipline. This is a different ballgame from law in practice. Don't lose sight of that. Mention your work experience, but do not spend a long time talking about it, and be sure to link it back in the end to why you are interested in academic law.

If I were you I would read about some topical legal issues over summer. Pick an issue, discuss it in your PS, and, again, show how this relates to and develops your interest in studying law as an academic subject.

law as an academic discipline, eh?... thanks for the advice. i always just assumed law in university would have me training for law in practice.. ok! topical legal issues over summer, right. so that's something to think about out of interest, are you doing law in university? if so, how much is the workload compared to other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    law as an academic discipline, eh?... thanks for the advice. i always just assumed law in university would have me training for law in practice.. ok! topical legal issues over summer, right. so that's something to think about out of interest, are you doing law in university? if so, how much is the workload compared to other subjects?
    I earned my B.A. in 2014 and LL.M. in 2015.

The workload is heavy in comparison to most other subjects (medics and engineers also have a hard time of it) but also depends heavily on your university.

Yeah, it depends on exactly what area of practice you go into, but legal practice is somewhere between somewhat and completely different from academic law. Thus, your law degree constitutes the academic preparation for your practice. You will then have to complete either the BPTC (for the Bar) or the LPC (to become a solicitor) as preparation for actually joining your chosen profession, and this will focus much more on the actual practice of law.

When I say that a law degree is academic I mean that it concentrates on what the law is, how it applies in theory to particular facts, its merits and demerits, etc. You will spend almost no time on the practicalities of being a lawyer or dealing with the law. For example, when you study criminal law, you will spend no time thinking about what evidence you could introduce in court to prove any particular matter, the procedure leading up to the trial, the procedure during it, etc. You will just look at the law in the abstract and then consider how it might be applied in theory to a set of stated facts.

ReputationRep:
    High Street firms, ok! wow, you lucky thing, already secured a placement : o

and ok! pre-uni work experience! so that's definitely something i need, at least that's confirmed... wow that's a lot of pressure.... ahh, but thank you for the advice
    This is such a late reply, I'm sorry! Firstly, no problem!!! Thank you - whenever you apply just be yourself. Don't worry about pressure, think of it as something your doing for yourself to stand out from the crowd. It's not a 'confirmed' must, just my opinion from personal experience. I have just applied to Uni so I found it useful to have work experience under my belt!

Laura

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.