Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

This is a bit of a silly question but I'm currently ranking jobs, and there is a particular rotation that says 'Gastro-enterology and Dermatology'.

Does that mean that two months will be spent on Gastro and then two months on derm?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the hospital/trust. You would be best emailing the relevant deanery. It could be anything.

ReputationRep:
    Two specialties listed that way could mean anything, e.g. 2 months each or that they haven't finalised which it will end up being. If I had to wager, I'd guess that the dermatologists rarely have any inpatients and so they share the gastro FY1 just so that, when they do have patients, they don't have to write their own discharge summaries. As dermatology is an outpatient specialty, I can't see there is much of a role for an FY1 or even that it could satisfy the requirements of the foundation programme. If you're ranking FY2 jobs then *maybe* there is a formal dermatology component, e.g. 2 months in a supernumerary outpatient dermatology role by way of a taster placement. You need to ask the trust, though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it could turn out to be almost anything. I was looking at some derm jobs that were listed as pure dermatology, but when I looked into it it turned out that it was mostly general medical, and they covered vascular and plastics and some other stuff for on-calls. Very bizarre

Don't trust derm for foundation posts - as MonteCristo says, what would an F1 even do in an outpatient speciality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    Yeah it could turn out to be almost anything. I was looking at some derm jobs that were listed as pure dermatology, but when I looked into it it turned out that it was mostly general medical, and they covered vascular and plastics and some other stuff for on-calls. Very bizarre

Don't trust derm for foundation posts - as MonteCristo says, what would an F1 even do in an outpatient speciality?
    There's a Rheum/Derm F1 at my current Trust. They do outpatient clinics (with consultant in adjacent room), do supervised minor surgery, and do the inpatient ward round with the consultant, plus general medical on-calls.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.