The Student Room Group

I want to change degrees

So I'm a mature student and I'm currently studying Computer Science I'm a second year but I don't want to do my course, I want to do adult nursing instead, I was wondering if I'd be able to change degrees?

I'm assuming I would not be able to do the following?

1. Drop out of uni
2. Do an access course suitable for adult nursing
3. Go study at a university that does adult nursing

Am I screwed? As I have already had 2 out of 4 years of funding?

Note: I have no qualms about starting as a first year and would probably prefer it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrConfussle
So I'm a mature student and I'm currently studying Computer Science I'm a second year but I don't want to do my course, I want to do adult nursing instead, I was wondering if I'd be able to change degrees?

I'm assuming I would not be able to do the following?

1. Drop out of uni
2. Do an access course suitable for adult nursing
3. Go study at a university that does adult nursing

Am I screwed? As I have already had 2 out of 4 years of funding?

Note: I have no qualms about starting as a first year and would probably prefer it.

I think you'd have to pay 1 of the years if it's your first degree.

How did you get onto the computer science degree? A levels or access or?
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123
I think you'd have to pay 1 of the years if it's your first degree.

How did you get onto the computer science degree? A levels or access or?

I had industry experience so they let me in based on self taught knowledge & I had an interview, I don't think I could fund the £9k myself? At least not any time soon.
Original post by MrConfussle
I had industry experience so they let me in based on self taught knowledge & I had an interview, I don't think I could fund the £9k myself? At least not any time soon.

Hmm.. See, student finance tend to allow 1 year to decide whether or not the course is for you.. I'm not the most knowledgeable person on finance situations. I think an access course would be the most suitable way onto the course, but you should sort out the funding first.
Contact your University and speak to them about it, but I'll tag the scottish queen cause' she'll know something :yep: @Ethereal World
Hmm.. See, student finance tend to allow 1 year to decide whether or not the course is for you.. I'm not the most knowledgeable person on finance situations. I think an access course would be the most suitable way onto the course, but you should sort out the funding first.
Contact your University and speak to them about it, but I'll tag the scottish queen cause' she'll know something :yep: @Ethereal World

I am not Scottish :noway:

I live in Edinburgh, but I am very much an English rose :love:
Reply 5

Thanks for your help, I'll give them a call and discuss what's best to do.

I was medically ill during my first year so I'm actually a repeat year but it's a hard one to prove (Epilepsy) and I was never registered on DSA because of my doctor sending me the wrong letters.
Original post by Ethereal World
I am not Scottish :noway:

I live in Edinburgh, but I am very much an English rose :love:

OH. Sorry

:adore:
Reply 7
I believe your new course will be covered as it is an NHS funded degree.

"What if I’ve already done a degree? Could I take out another loan to do one of these courses?

Under current rules, you can’t usually access the student loans system if you’ve already done a degree at the same level. But we understand that the Government will make these courses exempt from this rule, so in the new system you could access student loans if you want. This is called an equivalent or lower qualification (ELQ) exemption"

SOURCE HERE

Quick Reply

Latest