Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    According to my teachers, wider reading around medicine can really boost your chances into getting into Medical school (Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc.).

I think I would prefer books I can understand (year 12) than magazines. But I don't really mind.

Where do I start?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    According to my teachers, wider reading around medicine can really boost your chances into getting into Medical school (Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial etc.).

I think I would prefer books I can understand (year 12) than magazines. But I don't really mind.

Where do I start?
    I didn't get into med in the end, but I read these:

Genome (this one confused the hell out of me)
    Bad Science
    The man who mistook his wife for a hat
    Trust me, I'm a junior doctor (this was more for fun )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    I didn't get into med in the end, but I read these:

Genome (this one confused the hell out of me)
    Bad Science
    The man who mistook his wife for a hat
    Trust me, I'm a junior doctor (this was more for fun )
    Thanks Did you enjoy them all or just read them for the sake of PS?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Did you enjoy them all or just read them for the sake of PS?
    At first I just got them for my PS, but I ended up enjoying Bad Science

ReputationRep:
    At first I just got them for my PS, but I ended up enjoying Bad Science
    Cool. So what stopped you from pursuing a career in medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Cool. So what stopped you from pursuing a career in medicine?
    I didn't get the offers.

ReputationRep:
    To become enthusiastic about the process of becoming a doctor, while simultaneously exploring some of the issues that come up in healthcare. Some are a little dated but they're all fun to read:

-- Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor. Michael Foxton. Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-1843540328. £8.99.
    -- Trust Me, I’m a (Junior) Doctor. Max Pemberton. Hodder Paperbacks. ISBN 978-0340962053. £7.99.
    -- In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor. Nick Edwards. The Friday Project Ltd. ISBN 978-1905548705. £7.99.

A few titles dealing with more serious issues in healthcare but all very well written:

-- Complications: A Surgeon’s Notes on an Imperfect Science. Atul Gawande. Profile Books. ISBN 978-1846681325. £8.99. If you enjoy this one, some of Gawande's other books are The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right and Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance.
    -- Bad Science. Ben Goldacre. HarperPerennial. ISBN 978-0007284870. £8.99.
    -- NHS Plc: The Privatisation of Our Healthcare. Allyson Pollock. Verso Books. ISBN 978-1844675395. £9.99.
    -- Hippocratic Oaths: Medicine and its Discontents. Raymond Tallis. Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-1843541271. £9.99.

A couple blogs worth following are www.badscience.net and www.kevinmd.com/blog (US focussed but things to think about...). It's also worth following the health section of a few broadsheet newspapers - The Guardian is still free to read online.

I think the key is to find things that you enjoy reading (there is plenty written about healthcare) rather than seeing the task as extra homework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonteCristo)
    To become enthusiastic about the process of becoming a doctor, while simultaneously exploring some of the issues that come up in healthcare. Some are a little dated but they're all fun to read:

-- Bedside Stories: Confessions of a Junior Doctor. Michael Foxton. Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-1843540328. £8.99.
    -- Trust Me, I’m a (Junior) Doctor. Max Pemberton. Hodder Paperbacks. ISBN 978-0340962053. £7.99.
    -- In Stitches: The Highs and Lows of Life as an A&E Doctor. Nick Edwards. The Friday Project Ltd. ISBN 978-1905548705. £7.99.

A few titles dealing with more serious issues in healthcare but all very well written:

-- Complications: A Surgeon’s Notes on an Imperfect Science. Atul Gawande. Profile Books. ISBN 978-1846681325. £8.99. If you enjoy this one, some of Gawande's other books are The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right and Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance.
    -- Bad Science. Ben Goldacre. HarperPerennial. ISBN 978-0007284870. £8.99.
    -- NHS Plc: The Privatisation of Our Healthcare. Allyson Pollock. Verso Books. ISBN 978-1844675395. £9.99.
    -- Hippocratic Oaths: Medicine and its Discontents. Raymond Tallis. Atlantic Books. ISBN 978-1843541271. £9.99.

A couple blogs worth following are www.badscience.net and www.kevinmd.com/blog (US focussed but things to think about...). It's also worth following the health section of a few broadsheet newspapers - The Guardian is still free to read online.

I think the key is to find things that you enjoy reading (there is plenty written about healthcare) rather than seeing the task as extra homework.

Wow cheers! Are any of these on future medical advancements?

I didn't get the offers.

Sorry to hear that. What are you up to now?

ReputationRep:

Sorry to hear that. What are you up to now?
    It's fine, I've actually just firmed Nottingham for Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience.

If you have any q's about applying for medicine, feel free to ask, I know I didn't get my offers but by going through the process I can kinda tell why I was rejected and what I could have done to make my application stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. There are lots of new treatments mentioned in Bad Science although the book is really about how we know which new treatments are better rather than the technologies themselves.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, I've actually just firmed Nottingham for Psychology and Cognitive Neuroscience.

If you have any q's about applying for medicine, feel free to ask, I know I didn't get my offers but by going through the process I can kinda tell why I was rejected and what I could have done to make my application stronger.

Oh you're year 13? Did you consider taking a Gap Year or doing Bio Med, and then a Post Grad? And thanks will do.

(Original post by MonteCristo)
    Not really. There are lots of new treatments mentioned in Bad Science although the book is really about how we know which new treatments are better rather than the technologies themselves.
    Ah right. So which would you recommend reading first?

ReputationRep:
    Oh you're year 13? Did you consider taking a Gap Year or doing Bio Med, and then a Post Grad? And thanks will do.

Yes I am , No, I didn't really want to take a gap year as I felt so drained from the amount of WE I did in year 12, also, for me, I would feel like I was unnecessarily wasting a year (knowing me, I'd just spend the whole year at home 24/7)

And no, I didn't consider boimed, because I looked into it and the course really didn't intrigue me, it just seemed like everyone who applied for med applied for biomed as their fifth choice, after searching through I stumbled upon Neuroscience which I loved instantly

As for post grad, I have no clue at the moment, I guess I'll just have to see when the time comes whether I want to continue in Neuroscience or transfer out to try post grad medicine.

Have you looked at any uni's or.... (I would research well into uni's if I were you, I stupidly picked two unis which were heavy on personal statements which sucked because I wasn't really good at expressing words that put my experiences into a good light)

ReputationRep:
    Would highly recommend Bad Science. Should be mandatory reading for any subject I think - gives a great perspective on use and misuse of statistics, how people can be tricked by pseudoscience, all sorts. And Ben Goldacre is a funny and engaging writer.

I would also recommend reading New Scientist. There's a good chance your school will have a subscription - ask your librarians

ReputationRep:
    Read the descriptions on Amazon and pick up whatever you think looks most interesting.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hello!

Well done for being active on finding some medical reading. Although our suggestion isn't a book, it is great exposure to medical journals in an easy to read and often funny way:

Richard Lehman's weekly review of medical journals

You can click on the link above, or just Google search it. What's great is that it's free to read and gives you great insight into how to be analytical of medical research and experiments.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.