ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B948 - National Education Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR UKIP
    National Education Bill 2016

A
    BILL
    TO
    Implement a compulsory ‘National Education’ subject in schools
    BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1) Definitions

(a) ‘United Kingdom’ in the context of this bill refers to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and its previous forms before the Acts of Union 1707.
    (b) ‘Societal obligations' shall be defined as duties which individuals must perform in accordance to the law, including but not limited to paying taxes and fulfilling jury duties if summoned by court order.
    (c) 'Promotion of traditional family values' shall be defined as the promotion of the nuclear family with a father and a mother.

2) National Education

(1) ‘National Education’ shall be included in the national curriculum
    (2) All schools following the national curriculum shall provide at least 40 minutes of ‘national education’ every school week that consists of at least five days to all students from the early years foundation stage to Key Stage 4.
    (3) ‘National Education’ shall include—
    (a) the mandatory singing of the national anthem every week there is a 'national education' session;
    (b) the teaching of British culture and history in a manner that focuses on the positive portrayal of the United Kingdom's history and culture;
    (c) lessons teaching students to abide by the law, respect the police, and respect the notion of national sovereignty;
    (d) the promotion of patriotism and the message that the United Kingdom is the greatest country in the world;
    (e) lessons on carrying out societal obligations;
    (f) the promotion of traditional family values (as defined by the Department of Education);
    (g) basic first aid training; and
    (h) the promotion of freedom of expression in the United Kingdom as long as such expression does not violate any legislative provisions.

3) Teachers’ duties

(1) Teachers shall ensure that all students sing the national anthem during ‘national education’ sessions, unless a student has a disability that prevents him from singing.
    (2) Teachers shall ensure that students do not use any language other than English; or Scots, Welsh, British Sign Language, Irish, Scottish Gaelic, or Cornish if the situation permits.
    (3) Ensure that when teaching ‘national education’, no reference to the flag, anthem, monarchy, or history of the United Kingdom may be portrayed negatively.
    (4) Teachers have a responsibility to punish students who—
    (a) refuse to sing the national anthem during a national anthem singing session;
    (b) use any language other than the ones permitted under subsection (2);
    (c) refer to the flag, anthem, monarchy, or history of the United Kingdom in a negative manner.

4) Enforcement

(1) The Department of Education shall be responsible for issuing ‘national education’ licenses for ‘national education’ teachers.
    (2) Only those with ‘national education’ licenses may teach ‘national education’ in schools.
    (3) The Department of Education may only issue ‘national education’ licenses to individuals who—
    (a) are British citizens;
    (b) have not been convicted of a crime;
    (c) do not advocate for the independence (from the United Kingdom) of a part of the United Kingdom; and
    (d) do not advocate for a republican form of government in the United Kingdom and support the abolishment of the monarchy.
    (4) The Department of Education shall be responsible for carrying out audits in schools to ensure that ‘national education’ is taught in accordance to the provisions in section 2 of this bill, and to ensure that teachers of ‘national education’ comply with the provisions in section 3.

5) Consequences of violation

(1) Teachers who fail to comply with the provisions in section 3 are liable to a minimum fine of £500.
    (2) Schools that fail to teach ‘national education’ in accordance to the provisions in section 2 are liable to a minimum fine of £10,000.
    (3) Those who attempt to teach ‘national education’ in schools without a license are liable to a maximum fine of £1000 and 12 months imprisonment.

6) Short title, commencement and extent

(1) This Act may be cited as the National Education Act 2016.
    (2) This Act comes into effect 90 days after Royal Assent.
    (3) This Act extends to Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Changes for the second reading:
    - The definitions for 'separatists' and 'republicans' are removed.
    - The definitions of 'societal obligations' and 'promotion of traditional family values' are added.
    - 2.3(h) includes the promotion of freedom of speech in 'national education' lessons.
    - Commencement is changed from 30 days to 90 days after Royal Assent.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :bubbles:

ReputationRep:
    'Murica, **** yea!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Still a no... I don't support changing history to make us look better and teaching patriotism.

ReputationRep:
    this isn't really better
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah.......No.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Disagree with everything. Whilst I think it's correct for teaching of British history and values to commence, not in this way and not thes "values".

Also, your definition of a traditional family is out of date. Look around you.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Disagree with everything. Whilst I think it's correct for teaching of British history and values to commence, not in this way and not thes "values".

Also, your definition of a traditional family is out of date. Look around you.
    You have a funny definition of tradition, last i checked it doesn't really mean "what is permissible today"
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You have a funny definition of tradition, last i checked it doesn't really mean "what is permissible today"
    Fair point.

EDIT: Also, your definition of a family is out of date. Look around you.

Better?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Fair point.

EDIT: Also, your definition of a family is out of date. Look around you.

Better?
    Nope, because family is not being defined

ReputationRep:
    Still Nay. I have known some excellent Australian teachers who would be disqualified, for example.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nope, because family is not being defined
    It goes to teach about tradional family values, where tradional is out of date and counter-productive for prepearing kids for society.

If I learn science at school, I'd want to learn about current theorems not outdates tradional ones.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It goes to teach about tradional family values, where tradional is out of date and counter-productive for prepearing kids for society.

If I learn science at school, I'd want to learn about current theorems not outdates tradional ones.
    You disgust me, comparing social science with real science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Still Nay. I have known some excellent Australian teachers who would be disqualified, for example.
    They do not need to teach 'national education'. They can teach other subjects.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Even more of a nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think I'd abstain on this.

I think that national education should instead be about telling kids about what's relevant in the real world. Telling kids about credit cards, mortgages, banks, the economy and politics as a whole is more important than giving them a rose tinted view of our history. That's not to say that we shouldn't be proud of our history, but part of studying history is to take an objective view of past events, this (in my point of view) doesn't offer that and while it's good for all students (not just history students) to be aware of the history of Britain, there are more pressing things that we should be introducing into the national curriculum.

ReputationRep:
    Nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You disgust me, comparing social science with real science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're disgusted beacuse I compared a science with science? Social science is a science - it's the teaching of a set of theorms and a systematic approach to a problem.

The real reason that you are disgusted is that you're simply uncomfortable with that fact.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You're disgusted beacuse I compared a science with science? Social science is a science - it's the teaching of a set of theorms and a systematic approach to a problem.

The real reason that you are disgusted is that you're simply uncomfortable with that fact.
    Social sciences are not based on objective fact, they're based in subjective opinion. social science has us failing to treat illness

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.