Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you sneeze when you look at the sun? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you sneeze when you look at bright lights (eg the Sun) ?
    Yes
    42.11%
    No
    57.89%

ReputationRep:
    Photoptarmosis, or 'sun sneezing' is the reflex that supposedly affects 18-35% of the population -- but most people I've met 'have it' too

basically do you sneeze when you look at a bright light e.g. the sun?

I'm genuinely curious to see how many people on TSR get this too, or if anyone knows anything about it, I'd like to know :yy:

ReputationRep:
    No, the only thing which happens when I look at the sun is this

ReputationRep:
    No
    Because i am indoors 24/7

Serious answer no i dont
    But intresting non the less

ReputationRep:
    Why would anyone look at the sun? won't it be painful and damage your eyesight?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes yea. Never understood why

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

Happens to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
    Sometimes yea. Never understood why
    I find it really helpful lol, like you knwo that horrible will-i-yawn-will-i-sneeze I can just go BOOM stare at the ceiling (light) and achoooooooooo hooo hooo the relief is delicious

ReputationRep:
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I've never known anyone who does either. How strange
    --
    Though on the flip side, I always hiccup after the first sip I have of a [cold] fizzy drink and I've yet to figure out why

(Original post by Milzime)
    I find it really helpful lol, like you knwo that horrible will-i-yawn-will-i-sneeze I can just go BOOM stare at the ceiling (light) and achoooooooooo hooo hooo the relief is delicious
    Lmao, I do the same thing! Like when you can feel the sneeze coming but not quite, that helps. Will try to find out why that works

ReputationRep:
    No, although I am quite sensitive to sunlight. Even if it's cloudy, I'll have to squint to stop my eyes from hurting
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I noticed I did when I was younger. Wouldn't know now because as someone who is severely photophobic, I'm not in the habit of looking at the sun.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, any bright light will make me sneeze if I have the urge. I am one of the chosen few :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milzime)
    (Original post by UnknownRoyalist)
    Lmao, I do the same thing! Like when you can feel the sneeze coming but not quite, that helps. Will try to find out why that works
    hahah same :five:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nope, my eyes just water and feel stingy when I look at the sun or really bright light.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it feels so good

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. This is the condition in question. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

I actually had no idea it only affects 18 - 35% of people. I always thought it was something that happened to everybody.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.