Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The fact that people on have TSR flirting/relationships shows... (LOL) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    In general they most certainly are... can't disagree with that tbh. You get a lot of supposed 'Alpha's' claiming to be x, y and z when really they are nothing but nerdy little teenagers who can't even iron a shirt, cook for themselves, let alone properly satisfy someone of the opposite sex.

My point is just that you get these people on other mediums, you get introverted people in clubs and societies, you get these people in everywalk of life.... so why can't you meet normal people (with a greater likelihood of being intelligent) on tsr and go from there? I'm struggling to see what is different?
    I don't tend to meet people like that at my age anymore.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    I don't tend to meet people like that at my age anymore.
    Can I ask how old you are bro? Again, your whole vendetta against people on tsr mingling (god forbid!) is based on your personal opinion and bias. It has no real case, certainly no justification to slate and generalise about individuals who are causing no harm to anyone else... imo anyway

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask how old you are bro? Again, your whole vendetta against people on tsr mingling (god forbid!) is based on your personal opinion and bias. It has no real case, certainly no justification to slate and generalise about individuals who are causing no harm to anyone else... imo anyway
    I'm 23.

I think you're overestimating as well as misinterpreting my position. I haven't slated any individual. You're missing the point of what I've been saying. What bias?

I'll make it easy for you:

I believe meeting people in person is far superior to meeting them online. The medium of which you meet people to an extent, is also important. The initial engagement of two individuals is important. We need a generation of young people that aren't scared of walking and talking to eachother, without the comfort of messaging before hand. We need young, confident people.

1) I don't like texting.
    2) I don't like social media.
    3) I don't like texting culture.
    4) People online are not who they are in person to an extent.
    5) Mannerisms/body language are exceptionally important to me. They speak volumes to me about a person.
    6) A persons voice is important to me.
    7) I don't like phone calls. I pace around the room too much.

This is the basis on which I make my opinion from.

People need to have the confidence to be able to approach a woman/man in person and strike up a conversation. If you can't do that, and you'd rather slide into DMs then be a pussy and do that instead.

If you want to get to know somebody, do it in person? We live in a 'I want it all now' society that wants to remain in contact with a person of interest 24/7. Constant barrage of messages/dms/tweets/pms. Then we get people complaining about said messages, ohhh he didn't leave any kisses, ohhh shes taking too long to response. What kind of dating culture is that?

We live in a society where it's now acceptable to just add a random girl on fb and be like "oh hey, I saw you in my class..." and proceed from there. Yet, it's not frowned upon that you didn't speak to her IN PERSON.

We live in a society where, when people go on dates, and if they get nervous, they take to their phones for comfort. People are afraid to be on their own and not on their phone. The relationship we have with social media/likes/reps/followers/online attention sickens me.

People are afraid of non communication yet..we forget how to actually talk to eachother?

Yeah, okay it doesn't affect me at all, but many things don't affect me, am I not allowed to have an opinion?

I'm not losing sleep over it, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23.

I think you're overestimating as well as misinterpreting my position. I haven't slated any individual. You're missing the point of what I've been saying. What bias?

I believe meeting people in person is far superior to meeting them online. The medium of which you meet people to an extent, is also important. The initial engagement of two individuals is important. We need a generation of young people that aren't scared of walking and talking to eachother, without the comfort of messaging before hand. We need young, confident people.

1) I don't like texting.
    5) Mannerisms/body language are exceptionally important to me. They speak volumes to me about a person.

People need to have the confidence to be able to approach a woman/man in person and strike up a conversation. If you can't do that, and you'd rather slide into DMs then be a pussy and do that instead.

If you want to get to know somebody, do it in person? We live in a 'I want it all now' society that wants to remain in contact with a person of interest 24/7. Constant barrage of messages/dms/tweets/pms. Then we get people complaining about said messages, ohhh he didn't leave any kisses, ohhh shes taking too long to response. What kind of dating culture is that?

We live in a society where it's now acceptable to just add a random girl on fb and be like "oh hey, I saw you in my class..." and proceed from there. Yet, it's not frowned upon that you didn't speak to her IN PERSON.

We live in a society where, when people go on dates, and if they get nervous, they take to their phones for comfort. People are afraid to be on their own and not on their phone. The relationship we have with social media/likes/reps/followers/online attention sickens me.

People are afraid of non communication yet..we forget how to actually talk to eachother?

Yeah, okay it doesn't affect me at all, but many things don't affect me, am I not allowed to have an opinion?

Online dating is probably more about convenience than lack of confidence. That's what it is for me, at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Online dating is probably more about convenience than lack of confidence. That's what it is for me, at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was about to edit and make a point on that.

There are people, probably like yourself, who can do both. They can meet people in person and online. That's fine, great. But there are people who don't have the balls to approach a beautiful woman, but instead follow on instagram, like the pics and send a DM and do it that way instead and that's what I take issue with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    Because this website is primarily a demonstration of one's intelligence, and not personality which most relationships are based on.

I'm not saying that there are no sapiosexuals on here, but intelligence takes a backseat to people who are introverted as what they desire is some kind of feeling or warmth and general acceptance which would boost their confidence.

Compounded to this issue, someone may be warmth and loving but lacking in intelligence and confidence which could hamper their chances if they come across someone that valued intelligence above all else.

Getting the balance right is difficult in any medium but especially on the internet, behind a computer screen on a website that expects some degree of intelligence.
    True but how would two users get on if their personalities clashed? Yes, more weight is given to intelligence but personality is still a monumentally huge factor.

I agree that the computer screen creates white knights, confident people who aren't confident etc etc but you get that in almost any sphere of life.

I just take every opportunity as it comes and if I and someone else can benefit from that then I'm in. I treat people online as I would in real life (95% of the time, obviously in some threads I'd be more open or aggressive but usually I'm just honest) and take it from there.

A friend of mine changed his profile picture on fb recently. Some girl messaged him as a result, they hadn't spoken before that although vaguely knew of one another, They met up and banged.

For me, I'd want something of more significance if I was chatting to someone on here but...... what is the difference between that scenario and a tsr hook up? nothing imo.

ReputationRep:
    Because this website is primarily a demonstration of one's intelligence, and not personality which most relationships are based on.
    You can still tell a fair bit about someone's personality from posts though.

I'm 23.

The bias where you say "meeting in person is better" but then justify that statement with a list of six things you personally like/don't like and one statement I happen to disagree with. Meeting in person is better for you, but you're making it sound like everyone who meets someone online must be socially incompetent in person. And while you claim you aren't slating anybody, you also say "why not just meet in person?" with the clear undertone of "what's wrong with you for not meeting in person?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desdemonata)
    How?!

The bias where you say "meeting in person is better" but then justify that statement with a list of six things you personally like/don't like and one statement I happen to disagree with.
    I don't understand what point you are trying to make here.

Meeting in person is better for you
    Um okay, do you prefer to talk online then and not meet in person....?

but you're making it sound like everyone who meets someone online must be socially incompetent in person.
    Look at my response to RobML, that's not what I'm saying. I think that people who exclusively invest a lot of their time online trying to meet people are socially incompetent, yeah.

And while you claim you aren't slating anybody, you also say "why not just meet in person?" with the clear undertone of "what's wrong with you for not meeting in person?"
    There is no undertone, you've just added that in.

And if you disagree with me, give me your reasons why so it can evolve into a discussion at least.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm 23.

1) I don't like texting.

Ok, I get you a bit better now...
    You seem unusual in your hatred of texting/social media etc. I don't share that hatred but I think you do have a point, with some people to portray a totally different persona online to how they are in person.

You aren't old?!? I thought you were going to say 30 plus tbh haha

Unfortunately fore you bro, I think the online nature of things will remain/even intensify further. The boys and I were chatting about how we all go on our phones so much more than even 5 years ago. FB, multiple group chats on fb, snapchat, tsr, I'm on another forum too, football apps, whatsapp, then texts and spotify, soundcloud. Those are all things I check multiple times a day.... I'm not sure it's a good thing but it's somewhat necessary tbh.

I was about to edit and make a point on that.

There are people, probably like yourself, who can do both. They can meet people in person and online. That's fine, great. But there are people who don't have the balls to approach a beautiful woman, but instead follow on instagram, like the pics and send a DM and do it that way instead and that's what I take issue with.
    Maybe I'm one of the rare people who can also do both. idk. I don't think I'm that rare on here but I do accept there are loads of people who hide behind the computer screen...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

The bias where you say "meeting in person is better" but then justify that statement with a list of six things you personally like/don't like and one statement I happen to disagree with. Meeting in person is better for you, but you're making it sound like everyone who meets someone online must be socially incompetent in person. And while you claim you aren't slating anybody, you also say "why not just meet in person?" with the clear undertone of "what's wrong with you for not meeting in person?"

Nailed it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How can you say there is no undertone in your posts? whhaaaaaaat? you're deluded if you think you are neutral, you suffer from bias. Biased against using social media as a form of connecting with others. That's absolutely fine bro but it is simply an opinion. Most people hold a different opinion about technology, texting etc. Each to their own I say...

Do you even tsr? with an answer like 'how?' to 'you can tell something about a person's personality through their posts' (and far, far more through PMs).... I'm thinking not.

ReputationRep:
    How?!

I don't understand what point you are trying to make here.

Um okay, do you prefer to talk online then and not meet in person....?

Look at my response to RobML, that's not what I'm saying. I think that people who exclusively invest a lot of their time online trying to meet people are socially incompetent, yeah.

There is no undertone, you've just added that in.
    So what you've actually just done is vented about how you don't like people being on their phones all the time and preferring to talk online, coupled with finding it sad when people can't communicate in person? I mean, legitimate opinions, but you aren't actually that clear a communicator because you really made it sound like everyone who didn't share your preferences was a thirsty saddo who can't communicate 'properly'.

No, I don't prefer to talk online, and about the personality thing... are you telling me that if someone posts something about supporting Trump that doesn't tell you something about them? Or what they say when they post relationship advice? Or if they spend all their time making asinine comments à la Youtube? Or if they write long and detailed thoughtful posts about philosophy? Not saying online is the perfect medium, and obviously you get your trolls and whatnot, but (back in my early days at least) something about what a person is like comes across in their posts.

ReputationRep:
    How can you say there is no undertone in your posts? whhaaaaaaat? you're deluded if you think you are neutral, you suffer from bias. Biased against using social media as a form of connecting with others. That's absolutely fine bro but it is simply an opinion. Most people hold a different opinion about technology, texting etc. Each to their own I say...
    I don't think you understand what bias means. I use social media.

This video is really lame, but sort of explains it.

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think you understand what bias means. I use social media.

This video is really lame, but sort of explains it.

I do know what bias means but thanks for being patronsing bro. I was convinced that you were being deliberately obtuse with many of your replies but now I just think you are not actually reading what myself and others posters have been saying.

That video is EXACTLY what I meant with my paragraph on facebook, snapchat etc etc. I said it isn't a good thing. That is straying off from the initial point of discussion though but I can see how in your head these perceived 'evils' are all interconnected but imo that is too black and white.

ReputationRep:
    So what you've actually just done is vented about how you don't like people being on their phones all the time and preferring to talk online, coupled with finding it sad when people can't communicate in person? I mean, legitimate opinions, but you aren't actually that clear a communicator because you really made it sound like everyone who didn't share your preferences was a thirsty saddo who can't communicate 'properly'.
    Again, I you're just adding things in that I didn't say. If all you do is go around messaging girls/boys online...doesn't that make you thirsty and sad, however?

No, I don't prefer to talk online, and about the personality thing... are you telling me that if someone posts something about supporting Trump that doesn't tell you something about them?
    Okay, well...that's an extreme? What if they don't post any political/religious content or any jokes. Does that mean that person doesn't have an opinion? Does it mean they're not funny?

Or what they say when they post relationship advice? Or if they spend all their time making asinine comments à la Youtube?
    Another extreme? It's really easy to give advice, remember. The quality of advice you give to another person doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of individual you are.

Or if they write long and detailed thoughtful posts about philosophy? Not saying online is the perfect medium, and obviously you get your trolls and whatnot, but (back in my early days at least) something about what a person is like comes across in their posts.
    Well that's the thing. The question is, can a person make an equally articulate and thoughtful/detailed opinion on philosophy IN PERSON. Not where you can sit and type and correct mistakes, you can take your time and think about it.

Some of my friends write terribly yet articulate themselves beautifully. The opposite as well.

ReputationRep:
    I do know what bias means but thanks for being patronsing bro. I was convinced that you were being deliberately obtuse with many of your replies but now I just think you are not actually reading what myself and others posters have been saying.
    bias

noun
    1. 1.inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.
    Do explain how I'm 'biased against social media'.

That video is EXACTLY what I meant with my paragraph on facebook, snapchat etc etc. I said it isn't a good thing. That is straying off from the initial point of discussion though but I can see how in your head these perceived 'evils' are all interconnected but imo that is too black and white.
    Ofcourse I'm reading the responses. I'm replying bit by bit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

No, I don't prefer to talk online, and about the personality thing... are you telling me that if someone posts something about supporting Trump that doesn't tell you something about them? Or what they say when they post relationship advice? Or if they spend all their time making asinine comments à la Youtube? Or if they write long and detailed thoughtful posts about philosophy? Not saying online is the perfect medium, and obviously you get your trolls and whatnot, but (back in my early days at least) something about what a person is like comes across in their posts.
    I appreciate your contribution here

It's like banging your head against a brick wall with these two posters, it really is. (btw, I don't mean that in an aggressive way. You seem like reasonable chaps - OH NO wait... you can't tell anything from an online persona - but we couldn't be conveying our points more clearly and you repeatedly are misinterpreting them....)

Anyway, I'm away to bed. Might continue this discussion in the morning if I can find the strength

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the fact that they might be able to, at the very least, speak English.

Unless you're pretty outgoing and adept at reading people (which requires you to know people), it is very difficult to establish personality through an online persona.

Personality is seeing someone and falling in love with how they talk, how they smile, how they laugh and all the little things that they do that you feel such an outpouring of love that your chest starts to tighten

Your first impression of someone on TSR is usually based on intelligence and even though you may find yourself agreeing with everything they may have said, if you meet up, there just isn't that "click" because in your mind, you've built up this person into a fantasy, a standard that they must meet and everytime they don't hit that standard, you are left feeling disappointed.

I'm not saying that online relationships are detrimental, but the fact that it puts heavy expectations without necessarily getting to know the person.
    I wasn't saying anything about relationships. I was just pointing out that posts online (assuming that they aren't a troll which seems ever more common these days) if conveying someone's actual views/opinions/beliefs does tell you something about them. As does all sorts of other stuff, like how they write, whether they use proper English or abuse ellipses, and just what they post on in general. I'm sure you have opinions on how people on here are like in real life, based upon what they've posted?

And funnily enough I know what you mean, and it is one of the risks of meeting online, because that "click" moment when you meet in person is a make or break one IMO. But that doesn't change the fact that if people are being honest (and in my mind they are more likely to be honest on TSR where no one is looking for relationships than a dating site where you're actively trying to put your best foot forward) online then it can be a very useful way of meeting people who have things in common with you and that you can get along with and, if that click happens, more with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    bias

noun
    1. 1.inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.
    Do explain how I'm 'biased against social media'.

Ofcourse I'm reading the responses. I'm replying bit by bit.
    Biased against people who use social media. By social media we CLEARLY mean tsr etc before you go 'but I use social media'... people who use social media as a way of chatting to people. I f two heterosexual people of different sexes chat, that may lead to them wanting to meet. WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?

You have stated how much you dislike texting etc, how it is apparently 'sad' to use technology to connect with other people. You must be trying to be difficult on purpose. Deliberately ignoring the context of my reply, it's blindingly obvious.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I wasn't saying anything about relationships. I was just pointing out that posts online (assuming that they aren't a troll which seems ever more common these days) if conveying someone's actual views/opinions/beliefs does tell you something about them. As does all sorts of other stuff, like how they write, whether they use proper English or abuse ellipses, and just what they post on in general. I'm sure you have opinions on how people on here are like in real life, based upon what they've posted?

And funnily enough I know what you mean, and it is one of the risks of meeting online, because that "click" moment when you meet in person is a make or break one IMO. But that doesn't change the fact that if people are being honest (and in my mind they are more likely to be honest on TSR where no one is looking for relationships than a dating site where you're actively trying to put your best foot forward) online then it can be a very useful way of meeting people who have things in common with you and that you can get along with and, if that click happens, more with.
    PRSOM
    Concise and accurate imo.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.