Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

I am starting this thread as I really believe things need to change regarding this issue! I am due to graduate in June, and reeeeeeeeeally really want to do medicine afterwards, however the competitiveness of graduate entry (GEM) disheartens me. I am from a family with a low income so a normal 5 year course is totally out of the question for me, due to student finance!!

Is anyone else worrying about this? I have seen a few petitions in the past but that have not gotten anywhere near as much attention as they need for this issue to be addressed!!!!! Should we start one?!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its a shame we as graduates get no funding for undergrad, non GEM, medicine courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Yeah its a shame we as graduates get no funding for undergrad, non GEM, medicine courses
    it seems so unfair! As this restricts it then to the wealthy or those families with only one or two children to focus on and support!

I have spent the past two months hounding everyone I could get a number for, student finance, ucas, the BMA, and no one knows whether or not this will be changing any time soon! Feel like we should be doing something to get the ball rolling - provided there is enough people who are affected by it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopefulGEM17)
    Hello all!

I am starting this thread as I really believe things need to change regarding this issue! I am due to graduate in June, and reeeeeeeeeally really want to do medicine afterwards, however the competitiveness of graduate entry (GEM) disheartens me. I am from a family with a low income so a normal 5 year course is totally out of the question for me, due to student finance!!

Is anyone else worrying about this? I have seen a few petitions in the past but that have not gotten anywhere near as much attention as they need for this issue to be addressed!!!!! Should we start one?!
    I know it's a longshot; and it won't change the situation for everyone, only you, but try asking a philanthropist millionaire/ billionaire for funding. It works for some people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I know it's a longshot; and it won't change the situation for everyone, only you, but try asking a philanthropist millionaire/ billionaire for funding. It works for some people
    Any idea how to fine one to ask?!

ReputationRep:
    it seems so unfair! As this restricts it then to the wealthy or those families with only one or two children to focus on and support!

I have spent the past two months hounding everyone I could get a number for, student finance, ucas, the BMA, and no one knows whether or not this will be changing any time soon! Feel like we should be doing something to get the ball rolling - provided there is enough people who are affected by it!
    Aye. Would be good!

ReputationRep:
    Can't imagine it changing unless GEM gets dissolved completely. Remember that the argument for wealthy students doing more than one degree is appliable across the entire spectrum. At least we have the option of a graduate entry with funding which does not exist in many other lines of study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scitea)
    Any idea how to fine one to ask?!
    I'll let you know when I have £100,000 sitting in the bank

Umm.. Maybe check the Forbes list? There is a website out there dedicated to this sort of thing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What's the issue? That they wont fund 2 degrees? Out of interest why do the first degree, then and use up the funding?
    Syrely if they have a problem they need to be spending the money to deal with retention rates?
    Just asking.

ReputationRep:
    i did not realise i wanted to do medicine until halfway through my degree
    also, students who have tried and failed to get into medicine as an undergrad do a degree in the hopes that they'll get in after their degree
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    But dont they do some research and realise its degree +1? Surely everyone knows that? What is it you want? Anyone who gets on a medical course gets funding no matter how much previous funding they have had?

ReputationRep:
    no they don't?
    graduates on a standard five year course have to pay the 36 grand out of their own pockets (currently the nhs funds the fifth year)

what i want is to at least have the option to borrow this and then pay back once i have graduated! i know a lot of people never end up earning over the threshold to pay back their student loans but this isn't the case for those studying medicine, paying it back is almost guaranteed so it just seems unfair that we can't even borrow it
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    no they don't?
    graduates on a standard five year course have to pay the 36 grand out of their own pockets (currently the nhs funds the fifth year)

what i want is to at least have the option to borrow this and then pay back once i have graduated! i know a lot of people never end up earning over the threshold to pay back their student loans but this isn't the case for those studying medicine, paying it back is almost guaranteed so it just seems unfair that we can't even borrow it
    so its 3+1, then where does the 36k come from?
    Do you wnat ,edcine to be a free degree?

ReputationRep:
    no, having to pay 4 years of tuition for a 5 year course at £9000 a year makes it a £36000 degree. and no that is the point i am trying to make. i do not want it to be free, i want graduates to be entitled to a tuition fee loan from student finance so that they can borrow this money and pay it back once they are earning!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.