Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am extremely in love with human biology and studying biology Alevel was actually fun! sure it was difficult, but i truly enjoyed spending hours learning about diseases and genetics. Therefore, I have applied to study biomedical science at 5 universities and so far got 4 offers. The problem is that I am an Egyptian girl, so it's very expensive to study in the UK and I don't want to waste my parents' money. I love science but will I have a good paying job after I graduate, any examples? If i stay in Egypt, I will study medicine and maybe do post grad science related subjects abroad, the problem is that the quality of life and education in Egypt is bad, and I would be wasting all the hard work of the last 2 years(in egypt only one Alevel is required i did 2 and currently doing the third and one more AS subject). I don't like living here at all. Also, I absolutely don't want to be a doctor, so I am afraid that by delaying going abroad that i will become depressed like how most Egyptian teens are and give up the idea when i graduate, or worse just become another doctor and not work in science and forever regret not going abroad. At the same time, I will have a job if science doesn't work out. I am so confused, this is all i think about even though my exams are in a month!
    Any advices?

ReputationRep:
    Biomedical science is a good course, it will allow to explore the biological sciences you're interested in. However, many students here in the UK who study Biomed have the intention to move on to further studies, i.e. medicine. I think it might be because a career in Medicine offers better career prospects. You can practice medicine in many other careers if you graduate from Egypt, you'll need to do PLAB for the UK (I think), but if you hate medicine, don't do it. Education here in the UK is obviously very good, if you have an offer from a highly-ranked uni, then go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tttt34mk)
    Biomedical science is a good course, it will allow to explore the biological sciences you're interested in. However, many students here in the UK who study Biomed have the intention to move on to further studies, i.e. medicine. I think it might be because a career in Medicine offers better career prospects. You can practice medicine in many other careers if you graduate from Egypt, you'll need to do PLAB for the UK (I think), but if you hate medicine, don't do it. Education here in the UK is obviously very good, if you have an offer from a highly-ranked uni, then go for it
    Do you think that if i get great grades in all my three years and do masters and phd that i can get a high paying job in research? I really never paid attention to jobs and how much money i will make until recently when my parents brought it into my attention that science doesn't make money and that being a doctor will earn you way more so I will be able to live comfortably. I want to work in something I love, but I am scared that I won't be able to get a job and end up wasting my parents' money and my hard work. It is a huge decision to take especially that I will live alone in a place I don't know anyone in. I know that some scientists are geniuses and really impact the world with what they do ,so earn money, but all I have is my love for science and my good grades, I have never created something or had a genius idea :/ I feel like I will fail. I am such a negative person
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    If you're worried about getting a secure job and earning lots of money they science and academia is not for you. Career paths aren't straightforward, jobs aren't secure because they're dependent on funding and it takes a lot of hard work and persistence to get to PhD level and beyond. However, I always advise people to go with what they're most interested in because becoming a doctor isn't a walk in the park either and takes several years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.