Failing to get into accountancy for two years. Help needed ASAP.

Watch
Brapadoo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
OK I'm a 2014 graduate, and after uni I worked a year in retail while trying to get onto a grad scheme. Now it's been nearly two years and I still haven't secured a place on an accountancy grad scheme despite giving it my utmost and applying to anywhere in site. I pass application forms, pass online tests but it's the interviews where I'm getting killed. I'm always told my commercial awareness and knowledge of the role is very good but lack the necessary communication skills.

Now I can't sit around like this chasing a dream that's obviously not coming to fruition, plus I need to make money ASAP. What can I go into? I'm a Maths grad, 2:1 and from UCL. I feel like I can't wait any longer languishing in retail/at home trying to chase something which is obviously not suited to me, from a recruiter's point of view. Can anyone tell me how to get a decent office job? I don't even care about the pay. Please help me, I feel so lost. I'm willing to work extremely hard at anything, this is one thing I never lack and that's a work ethic. Please, I'm begging at this point.
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Apply to... non-grad schemes? They're extremely competitive but by any means not the only entry level jobs.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Brapadoo)
OK I'm a 2014 graduate, and after uni I worked a year in retail while trying to get onto a grad scheme. Now it's been nearly two years and I still haven't secured a place on an accountancy grad scheme despite giving it my utmost and applying to anywhere in site. I pass application forms, pass online tests but it's the interviews where I'm getting killed. I'm always told my commercial awareness and knowledge of the role is very good but lack the necessary communication skills.

Now I can't sit around like this chasing a dream that's obviously not coming to fruition, plus I need to make money ASAP. What can I go into? I'm a Maths grad, 2:1 and from UCL. I feel like I can't wait any longer languishing in retail/at home trying to chase something which is obviously not suited to me, from a recruiter's point of view. Can anyone tell me how to get a decent office job? I don't even care about the pay. Please help me, I feel so lost. I'm willing to work extremely hard at anything, this is one thing I never lack and that's a work ethic. Please, I'm begging at this point.
Have you tried getting interview practice or more general help to improve your communication skills. Also as Speckle said there are jobs outside of grad schemes, however you still need to be able to pass the interview.
Adeel Ali
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Bloody hell. 2:1 from UCL?! And you can't get a freaking entry level accountancy job?! That's freaking crazy. 😫
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adeel Ali)
Bloody hell. 2:1 from UCL?! And you can't get a freaking entry level accountancy job?! That's freaking crazy. 😫
No, they can't get a job because their interviewing technique isn't strong enough. The degree + the rest of their CV got them through to the interview stage. Welcome to how grad recruitment is truly done! Recruiters don't just hand out jobs to people aha.

The takeaway is to work on gaining as much experience as possible in varying situations such that you develop the right skill set (communication, problem solving etc) that is assessed for at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Adeel Ali)
Employers in most sectors are more interested in soft skills than the university name.
stevey396
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Actually, scratch the advice - I've just seen your thread from December.

You are an arrogant, self-entitled slob who has the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to feel that they can just walk into a graduate job because they have a "respected" degree. You are not worthy of my advice, and I do not give a sh*t about your whining. You are NOT entitled to a single f*cking thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (212)
43.8%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.44%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.28%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (50)
10.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed