Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failing to get into accountancy for two years. Help needed ASAP. Watch

ReputationRep:
    OK I'm a 2014 graduate, and after uni I worked a year in retail while trying to get onto a grad scheme. Now it's been nearly two years and I still haven't secured a place on an accountancy grad scheme despite giving it my utmost and applying to anywhere in site. I pass application forms, pass online tests but it's the interviews where I'm getting killed. I'm always told my commercial awareness and knowledge of the role is very good but lack the necessary communication skills.

Now I can't sit around like this chasing a dream that's obviously not coming to fruition, plus I need to make money ASAP. What can I go into? I'm a Maths grad, 2:1 and from UCL. I feel like I can't wait any longer languishing in retail/at home trying to chase something which is obviously not suited to me, from a recruiter's point of view. Can anyone tell me how to get a decent office job? I don't even care about the pay. Please help me, I feel so lost. I'm willing to work extremely hard at anything, this is one thing I never lack and that's a work ethic. Please, I'm begging at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Apply to... non-grad schemes? They're extremely competitive but by any means not the only entry level jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brapadoo)
    OK I'm a 2014 graduate, and after uni I worked a year in retail while trying to get onto a grad scheme. Now it's been nearly two years and I still haven't secured a place on an accountancy grad scheme despite giving it my utmost and applying to anywhere in site. I pass application forms, pass online tests but it's the interviews where I'm getting killed. I'm always told my commercial awareness and knowledge of the role is very good but lack the necessary communication skills.

Now I can't sit around like this chasing a dream that's obviously not coming to fruition, plus I need to make money ASAP. What can I go into? I'm a Maths grad, 2:1 and from UCL. I feel like I can't wait any longer languishing in retail/at home trying to chase something which is obviously not suited to me, from a recruiter's point of view. Can anyone tell me how to get a decent office job? I don't even care about the pay. Please help me, I feel so lost. I'm willing to work extremely hard at anything, this is one thing I never lack and that's a work ethic. Please, I'm begging at this point.
    Have you tried getting interview practice or more general help to improve your communication skills. Also as Speckle said there are jobs outside of grad schemes, however you still need to be able to pass the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. 2:1 from UCL?! And you can't get a freaking entry level accountancy job?! That's freaking crazy. 😫
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Bloody hell. 2:1 from UCL?! And you can't get a freaking entry level accountancy job?! That's freaking crazy. 😫
    No, they can't get a job because their interviewing technique isn't strong enough. The degree + the rest of their CV got them through to the interview stage. Welcome to how grad recruitment is truly done! Recruiters don't just hand out jobs to people aha.

The takeaway is to work on gaining as much experience as possible in varying situations such that you develop the right skill set (communication, problem solving etc) that is assessed for at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Employers in most sectors are more interested in soft skills than the university name.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, scratch the advice - I've just seen your thread from December.

You are an arrogant, self-entitled slob who has the audacity, the unmitigated gall, to feel that they can just walk into a graduate job because they have a "respected" degree. You are not worthy of my advice, and I do not give a sh*t about your whining. You are NOT entitled to a single f*cking thing.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to still access your university careers service, although not for much longer (pretty sure their policy is up to 2 years after graduation).

Go and speak to them.

Find ways to throw yourself in situations that will develop your communication skills. It could be public speaking, it could be starting a vlog. Just do something outside of your comfort zone that will push and develop those skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.