Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Acid Reflux Causes, and How to Fix or Help the Conidtion? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I have been suffering from acid reflux a lot lately. and the anti-acids don't help, and ive tried painkillers too. I wanted to know if anyone else suffered this, and has ever found a solution to the high acidity in the stomach?

I have visited my doctor many times about this, and not been helped very much other than the pills that don't work...

ReputationRep:
    from my experience, acidity can be caused by many things, and sometimes an allergy to something like diary (milk, yogurt etc) and sometimes sugar based foods (carbohydrates, sugar, fat). I found that when I ate more of any of these foods, that night i suffered a lot of acid problems and pain at night.

I found an article on acid reflux here, which helps explain this in detail: http://humancure.com/acid-reflux-cau...cure-powerful/

It basically says that a lean protein diet will help you. I was told about this from an eastern medical doctor, and I have fully cured my condition. It has been almost a year, and I have no stomach acid problems at all, even after I eat more sugar or anything. Good thing is, it also repairs ulcers, but you have to stay on the protein diet for at least 2 weeks if you want to restore the ulcer (if you have one)... otherwise an increased lean meat will help absorb the excess acid in the stomach, and will stop the problem altogether, you won't have to keep doing it after the balance is restored.

I personally was on the lean meat diet for 10 days, which was very hard because I ate only lean meats (beef is essential here) and leafy greens, but it helped me a lot. so maybe look into it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Omeprazole is the only thing that works for me and works very well. Your doc should prescribe it if you tell them you'd like to try it and see if it helps.

ReputationRep:
    try eating slower and chew your food properly. cut out fizzy drinks if possible (if you manage it well you wont need to). i was on omeprazole too but ran out and went a few days without it and just continued. i changed my breathing up aswell and breathe through my nose aswell and that helped massively. sometimes doctors just prescribe the obvious but try that it helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dantheman11)
    from my experience, acidity can be caused by many things, and sometimes an allergy to something like diary (milk, yogurt etc) and sometimes sugar based foods (carbohydrates, sugar, fat). I found that when I ate more of any of these foods, that night i suffered a lot of acid problems and pain at night.

I found an article on acid reflux here, which helps explain this in detail: http://humancure.com/acid-reflux-cau...cure-powerful/

It basically says that a lean protein diet will help you.
    Wow this is eye opening, thank you for you sharing that website. It makes sense as the acid gets absorbed from eating a highier protein food like red meat.

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Omeprazole is the only thing that works for me and works very well. Your doc should prescribe it if you tell them you'd like to try it and see if it helps.
    Thank you but i have tried that, and it did not really help me.

(Original post by neal95)
    try eating slower and chew your food properly. cut out fizzy drinks if possible (if you manage it well you wont need to). i was on omeprazole too but ran out and went a few days without it and just continued. i changed my breathing up aswell and breathe through my nose aswell and that helped massively. sometimes doctors just prescribe the obvious but try that it helps a lot.
    Yes I have had to cute out all fizzy drinks ever since. I haven't tried the breathing thing, but will do that from now on. Yes I try to eat more slowly than i normally do. I think other user was right about certains foods making it worse. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greendorge)
    Hi guys,

I have been suffering from acid reflux a lot lately. and the anti-acids don't help, and ive tried painkillers too. I wanted to know if anyone else suffered this, and has ever found a solution to the high acidity in the stomach?

I have visited my doctor many times about this, and not been helped very much other than the pills that don't work...
    Hi
    I also am experiencing similar problems, and struggle to find any relief for the pain as meds don't help me either. I also do not know what the cause could be because I eat a balanced healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg, at regular intervals. I have also tried different diets but none really have that much effect.
    This reply wasn't helpful but if you find anything that helps you out please share!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Omeprazole is the only medication that really works for me. I don't eat meat or drink fizzy pops at all, so I can't speak to those. I still have severe reflux, even when I only drink water. It may sound counterproductive, but actually, apple cider vinegar has helped me as well. I first heard about it to avoid getting the stomach bug when that's going around, but I noticed that it also helps with my acid reflux. I drink it with 100% grape juice (too gross to just drink with water, though I'm get used to it), and somehow, that combination works pretty well. It also really does prevent the stomach bug! No guarantees but give it a shot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by greendorge)

Thank you but i have tried that, and it did not really help me.
    Did they try you on higher doses? GPs typically start you on 10mg, I need at least 20 for it to noticeable work. My neighbour is on 60mg!

ReputationRep:
    I was recently diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD). I had a endoscopy which found that I have a stomach hernia and stage one esophagealitis (basically where the acid has burned my esophagus). I take carafate for it and it really helps. I tried omeprazole and ranitidine but neither helped. I would try asking your GP to refer you for testing to see if there's a cause rather than just prescribing you meds that don't work. It's not ideal to take antacids too often.

ReputationRep:
    see if your GP can refer you for an endoscopy or something

i found omeprazole useless but lansoprazole worked much better so another PPI might help still

don't take painkillers, especially ibuprofen as it's bad for your stomach

watch your diet, high acid foods (fruit, tomatoes etc), alcohol and fizzy drinks can all be triggers, as can fatty foods

try and avoid lying down or moving too much right after eating

you could try eating little and often rather than big meals

ReputationRep:
    I had a test done a few years ago and was told there was a chance of a hernia. I find spicy food or very tomato-y food set me off.

I have recently found that stress sparks awful reflux for me. In the build up to an important meeting at uni the other day, I couldn't eat a thing and suffered so badly. I had to apologise to my tutor for the funny noises my body was making!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lascelles)
    I had a test done a few years ago and was told there was a chance of a hernia. I find spicy food or very tomato-y food set me off.

I have recently found that stress sparks awful reflux for me. In the build up to an important meeting at uni the other day, I couldn't eat a thing and suffered so badly. I had to apologise to my tutor for the funny noises my body was making!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had pizza on wednesday with all that tomato sauce, and boy was that a huge mistake. The aftermath was extremely unpleasant. :sigh:

How are you with tea/coffee? I adore tea but can't drink it anymore because of the discomfort following it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Omeprazole 40mg minimum helps a lot. There's now OTC variants available, I believe one of them is called Nexium Control and is at most pharmacies in the UK.

NSAID painkillers such as ibuprofen will make it worse if that's what you're taking. It's harsh against the stomach lining.

ReputationRep:
    The Doctor gave me Omeprazole for it. Could it be caused by stress?

ReputationRep:
    Nexium is esomeprazole, an omeprazole derivative. It's available off the shelf and over the counter from any pharmacy. If you're experiencing long term issues you need to make sure you are taking it regularly as it provides a lining on the stomach that will protect against reflux. You may need to take if for a good couple of weeks before you notice any difference.

Avoid anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen as they are likely to make the issue worse. If you are still experiencing pain - paracetamol is fine to take alongside the nexium.

This issue is typically caused by diet but can be stirred up by stress or other underlying conditions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.