Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you are a guy and come from a ... relationship paranoia Watch

We are not originally British, but we live here. I don't want to go into figures, I was shocked.

As I was growing up and very recently, I did not know the heritage in my family as it was kept secret from me. They never wanted me to know because I could have went off the rails. I didn't know the reason why my mother's family for example decided to leave our home country (back when it was a very dark time for the country) to come to a small town in England.
    I am 25 soon and they felt it was time to tell me. We are just like any ordinary family and are very modest in the way we live our lives. I grew up thinking I was poor, poorer than my peers. So much so that when my friends used to visit my home they used to look down their noses at how run down our home was.
    My Dad in England did not really take his opportunities because all throughout his life he has been ill with all sorts (TB, brain tumour), I was raised mostly by my mother. The rest of my family live abroad.

Now that I know who I am and that my great grandfather ran one of the biggest logistics companies in the region of his home country, I am not quite sure how I am meant to trust a girl to eventually settle down with. The problem never really crossed my mind before. It's not like I can't find a date, but how do I exactly break it to them about where I come from and the family situation. I just want to be able to find a girl that will love me completely for who I am, including all of my immature jokes and simple life with my pets.

It feels really weird in a way, that they raised me in a way to always be hungry for success and for more, that they voluntarily chose to shun the life of having the new car on the driveway or nice house.

It is like all throughout my life I did not know who I really was, and now that I do it feels very strange.

Sorry about the title , meant to put "If you are a guy and come from a certain background... relationship paranoia"

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.