Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I don't even know what a catheter is I'd probably order it in a restaurant?
    I suppose you might get a few calories out of the tip if its been in long enough.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing very controversial about the facts as they have been presented here. It sounds as if a very sick patient was brought into resus and died while undergoing active treatment aimed at his resuscitation. This happens once or twice a day in most EDs. The OP is understandably shaken - perhaps this was the first person that he/she has seen die - but certainly didn't contribute to the death in any way.

Okay, so a catheter isn't high priority in the peri-arrest setting. It sounds as if other treatments (15l O2) were ongoing and perhaps this was started while waiting for ITU and/or a decision about appropriateness for invasive ventilation. It wasn't necessarily wrong to insert a catheter by any means - if he had survived much longer then it would have been necessary for urine output monitoring. Without being there, it's pretty bold for anyone to say that the catheter was inappropriate.

OP - you didn't do anything wrong and there aren't many clinical lessons to be learned from this case. It may however be useful in helping you to come to terms with some of the things you will encounter when working - there are many more "shock moments" to come.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.