Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

On a scale of 1 to 10, how violently were you bullied in high school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would say 9 for me.

Bullied physically and verbally every day from first year til I went to college.

Bullying included racist abuse (I'm Irish, so it was abit odd to suffer from racism in the uk), homophobic abuse, physical attacks, food being spat in, property being stolen.

Culminated in one lad getting his older brothers and his friends to jump me on the bus on the way home every night for 2 weeks in my last year

Ended up with a broken nose and a broken hand and various cuts and bruises.

Told the teachers for five years, they did nothing.

Only thing I can ever say is that it really does get better.

I was bright in high school, head prefect, head of the student council, head librarian etc....

a combination of being tall, gay, bright and naturally very gentle made me a perfect target for cowards.

However I didn't let it hold me back. I went to college and blossomed. In 6 months I went from dreading school and being quiet and hiding away to being popular, outspoken, respected and funny.

I made friends who have stuck by me for a lifetime and I went to university and became a human rights and family lawyer. I've recently given this up as I've just been accepted into medical school and will be a doctor in about 6 years. In between then I've been a dance teacher, worked at rockstar and done everything I wanted to do.

My life has been full. Joy and loss and everything in between but I have travelled, lived in several countries, made friends from all over and have accomplishments that I'm respected for and most of all; I'm happy with my life.

(Also all the people that picked on me, I check on them from time to time; as we're all friends on Facebook... And I have to admit I occasionally look at their small lives, still living on the same street they grew up on, with 4 kids, eeking out a living doing basic wage jobs and honestly, I'm just not angry anymore. I just feel sorry for them, that they'll never get to see the world the way I do; with open doors, possibility and opportunity)

For those of us who are bright and driven, life is an adventure with doors to walk through and be discovered; for the bullies, in the main they peak at high school and it's all downhill from there for them.

Stay strong!

ReputationRep:
    7. I had an embarrasing facebook name and I was kinda stupid and talked to the wrong people (all the "cool kids") so I was (and still am) made fun of because of it.

Recently there's this annoying guy who pretends he's my friend but says really rude things about my appearance and insults my intelligence. What's even worse is that everyone loves him. I just ignore him but it really annoys me because I kinda have anxiety, when people who aren't my friends talk to me it kinda makes me nervous.

ReputationRep:
    Meh around 2,3 or 4.

Sure we had those jerks that think they're all that and hit you on the head or take your pens once in a while.

But we were all friends and i was quite popular.

I was kind of that guy that was cool with everyone and only got hit when my jokes went a bit tooo far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Well

Primary: 5/10
    Lower secondary: 2/10
    Upper secondary: 1/10
    Sixth form: 0/10

You had upper and lower and called it secondary! D: must be an english thing rather than a UK thing, we were just by offical school name, KBT high school and i had friends at peebles high school, never really heard anyone use the term secondary in scotland. Was just primary then high school.

ReputationRep:
    In primary school I would say 8 or 9 out of 10
    I was bullied for months for having my hair in a bun for one day. I was called 'Bubble head' and it was treated like a game of it. If I touched someone they had 'germs' and had to touch someone else and say 'ew bubble head germs no returns!' I was young, and this made me cry. I also was mocked for playing with my own imagination in the play ground.

In secondary school I think 7/10
    Some bullies came from my primary school so that continued, but there were also some new people who were horrible. I also had my hair cut short purely because I liked the short hairstyle, and I had it longer on one side which led to me being called 'half boy, half girl'. When I had it all cut short, lower year children walked up to me and asked 'excuse me, are you a boy?'

Right now I'm in Year 13, I don't get bullied (as far as I'm aware) anymore, I have a group of close friends and I'm happy. I had a horrible few years but it got better.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I had a really long post typed up but the website deleted it all fml

I would say around 1-2 due to the fact that it was mostly just verbal abuse x

(Original post by Torel)
    I would say 9 for me.

Bullied physically and verbally every day from first year til I went to college.

Bullying included racist abuse (I'm Irish, so it was abit odd to suffer from racism in the uk), homophobic abuse, physical attacks, food being spat in, property being stolen.

Culminated in one lad getting his older brothers and his friends to jump me on the bus on the way home every night for 2 weeks in my last year

Ended up with a broken nose and a broken hand and various cuts and bruises.

Told the teachers for five years, they did nothing.

Only thing I can ever say is that it really does get better.

I was bright in high school, head prefect, head of the student council, head librarian etc....

a combination of being tall, gay, bright and naturally very gentle made me a perfect target for cowards.

However I didn't let it hold me back. I went to college and blossomed. In 6 months I went from dreading school and being quiet and hiding away to being popular, outspoken, respected and funny.

I made friends who have stuck by me for a lifetime and I went to university and became a human rights and family lawyer. I've recently given this up as I've just been accepted into medical school and will be a doctor in about 6 years. In between then I've been a dance teacher, worked at rockstar and done everything I wanted to do.

My life has been full. Joy and loss and everything in between but I have traveled, lived in several countries, made friends from all over and have accomplishments that I'm respected for and most of all; I'm happy with my life.

(Also all the people that picked on me, I check on them from time to time; as we're all friends on Facebook... And I have to admit I occasionally look at their small lives, still living on the same street they grew up on, with 4 kids, seeking out a living doing basic wage jobs and honestly, I'm just not angry anymore. I just feel sorry for them, that they'll never get to see the world the way I do; with open doors, possibility and opportunity)

For those of us who are bright and driven, life is an adventure with doors to walk through and be discovered; for the bullies, in the main they peak at high school and it's all downhill from there for them.

Stay strong!
    oml it really came back to bite them in the ass

I'd say around a 8 out of 10. Got chased out of school a few times, was sometimes to scared to go to class. Got a fair few bloody noses, split lips, beaten up on the bus. My education suffered hugely because of it.

Would occasionally fight back. Smashed a kids head in against a wall one time but that just resulted in someone running off and getting their friends from a couple of years up. Basically I went to a **** school and am still recovering from it. Didn't start uni until 20. Finished that and had a good time but in many ways still struggling to move on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annabelrhia93)
    You had upper and lower and called it secondary! D: must be an english thing rather than a UK thing, we were just by offical school name, KBT high school and i had friends at peebles high school, never really heard anyone use the term secondary in scotland. Was just primary then high school.
    Hmm, maybe it is just an English thing, didn't know that :holmes:

Really the upper and lower school weren't separated, just wanted to show that it changed a little as I went up through secondary school :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annabelrhia93)
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Hmm, maybe it is just an English thing, didn't know that :holmes:

Really the upper and lower school weren't separated, just wanted to show that it changed a little as I went up through secondary school :cute:

My brother's secondary school had "high school" in its name. :dontknow: My secondary school had an upper and lower split (+ 6th form attached), but my school also had two separate sites (upper school's site and lower school's site were across the road from one another basically), they were merged the year before I started in year 7. Teachers still referred to years 7 and 8 as lower school and 9-11 (+ 12-13) as upper school though.

Kinda thought it was common? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    Teachers still referred to years 7 and 8 as lower school and 9-11 (+ 12-13) as upper school though.
    Yeah, this is exactly how it works here :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well given your crazy scale, I'd say around a 5. I ended up skipping most days!

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't really bullied. People gave me crap which would have constituted bullying, but I liked violence a bit too much so it never ended very well for them and they generally didn't do it again :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    In Primary School: 3, not really bullied by anyone but a group of freshie Asian boys targeted me sometimes cos they thought "I was being too white" just because I was in Group 1 for English :rofl: :rofl:
    In Secondary school: 4, when I was first subjected to completely unwarranted racism, however not bullied to the extent other people were, never got physical. Secondary school must be nightmarish for people who get bullied incessantly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    In Primary School: 3, not really bullied by anyone but a group of freshie Asian boys targeted me sometimes cos they thought "I was being too white" just because I was in Group 1 for English :rofl: :rofl:
    In Secondary school: 4, when I was first subjected to completely unwarranted racism, however not bullied to the extent other people were, never got physical. Secondary school must be nightmarish for people who get bullied incessantly
    To think the a'mighty SMS888 got targeted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    To think the a'mighty SMS888 got targeted!
    LOOOL :rofl:

I am Asian lol, it's inescapable growing up in a deprived, poor backwards area smh, was shocking at first but after the first year I wasn't bothered. Although I remember this one time, someone asked me for the time, I didn't hear so I said "Sorry?" and he said "What's the time you dumb P*ki" and I was so shocked lmao, I'd never heard that word used aggressively (since much like the N word, Asians have begun to use it within the ranks as a common non-offensive term). But after the first few times mehhhhh, racism doesn't affect me as much :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    LOOOL :rofl:

I am Asian lol, it's inescapable growing up in a deprived, poor backwards area smh, was shocking at first but after the first year I wasn't bothered. Although I remember this one time, someone asked me for the time, I didn't hear so I said "Sorry?" and he said "What's the time you dumb P*ki" and I was so shocked lmao, I'd never heard that word used aggressively (since much like the N word, Asians have begun to use it within the ranks as a common non-offensive term). But after the first few times mehhhhh, racism doesn't affect me as much :rofl:
    Lmao!! Damn!! $hit like that happens especially at secondary!!

Initially I got bullied for being on medication and the autistic spectrum.. Until an RE lesson when I lobbed a chair at another student during detention.. Got detention for getting bullied :rofl: then it was the case I got targeted (more than bullied) for having ADHD!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Lmao!! Damn!! $hit like that happens especially at secondary!!

Initially I got bullied for being on medication and the autistic spectrum.. Until an RE lesson when I lobbed a chair at another student during detention.. Got detention for getting bullied :rofl: then it was the case I got targeted (more than bullied) for having ADHD!
    Yeah man, like I said, this was MILD compared to some stuff, I saw people go from being happy kids to really sad and miserable cos of other people

Oh nahh lmao :rofl: That's rough, how did they know you were on meds? Shiiit, how do you lob a chair though, if that'd hit the guy/girl it'd have been a young offenders institution for you :rofl: That's so sad tho, detention for sticking up for yourself smh. How tf can you get targeted for ADHD, what'd they say :/ ? School kids man, such ***** I swear :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, like I said, this was MILD compared to some stuff, I saw people go from being happy kids to really sad and miserable cos of other people

Oh nahh lmao :rofl: That's rough, how did they know you were on meds? Shiiit, how do you lob a chair though, if that'd hit the guy/girl it'd have been a young offenders institution for you :rofl: That's so sad tho, detention for sticking up for yourself smh. How tf can you get targeted for ADHD, what'd they say :/ ? School kids man, such ***** I swear :rofl:
    Whether it's mild IMO depends on the impact it has! Some people can just get punched in the face and not care!!

I got took out of class since primary school!! More a case of I pushed it across the room!! It's only these cheap chairs though! Just crap like r*t£rd, as you can probably tell I never really care about it these days!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.