Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    The last thing we need is a backlash against Muslims in general.
    And therein lies the problem with the thread title. There is no anti-Moslem agenda among the British press. Unfortunately, Moslems are tarred with the brush of Islam. Many, if not most, just don't fully understand the religion they have been indoctrinated into from birth, and how its scripture makes statements and rules they would disagree with if they did.

Unfortunately, though, many do understand some of the controversial dogma. On TSR a Moslem, only yesterday, expressed a wish for adultery to be criminalized, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    Hating on Islam is big business

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Bad news sell papers

Islam creates a lot of bad news for itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    What are you doing to combat the hate? Maybe you could start a campaign to tackle homophobia within Muslims communities within the UK? If issues like this are tackled, then we can start to move forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Why don't they shut up about the terrorism then? If they want to stop terrorism then they should stop spreading the fear
    completely wrong

if they want to stop terrorism, there have to be increased controls, intelligence has to infiltrate Islamist groups, etc

there is a trade-off between security and privacy : and this is not the moment to lower our guard

fear is not at all irrational : it is quite logical to be afraid when attacks like the last ones are happening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    And therein lies the problem with the thread title. There is no anti-Moslem agenda among the British press. Unfortunately, Moslems are tarred with the brush of Islam. Many, if not most, just don't fully understand the religion they have been indoctrinated into from birth, and how its scripture makes statements and rules they would disagree with if they did.

Unfortunately, though, many do understand some of the controversial dogma. On TSR a Moslem, only yesterday, expressed a wish for adultery to be criminalized, for instance.
    there are so many issues with political Islam that one does not even know where to start

luckily, most Muslims are just normal people, and widely ignore the most violent aspects of Islam : we should be careful not to blame the Muslim community in general for what is happening

however, there are about 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide, and just 1% of that means about 11.6 million people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    The majority of terrorist attacks in the news are committed by Muslims. Their interpretation of Islam is a literal one and as such they are a representation of their faith (not a complete one but an important segment nevertheless). The 'Regressive Left' and other apologists will continually argue that ISIS are un-Islamic and that criticism of the faith that justifies their actions is either Islamophobic or racist. Both are false accusations as few are saying that all Muslims are terrorists and the ones who are, are a minority.

Fact is that one can find justification for ISIS's actions in the Qur'an. A very simple reading of it will show this (and no, context cannot justify violence).
    But why doesn't anyone ever mention events such as the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, where the 'Mujahdeen' were encouraged to be radicalised by the US and later formed the Taliban? :/ Including the meddling it did in the Middle East as well? :/

I know this is a bit off the topic but It makes me curious :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruby17)
    But why doesn't anyone ever mention events such as the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan, where the 'Mujahdeen' were encouraged to be radicalised by the US and later formed the Taliban? :/ Including the meddling it did in the Middle East as well? :/

Because it is ancient history. People are more concerned with current problems and the future. In addition, there is not yet any will among politicians to tackle the Saudi breeding ground and funding for Islamism.

ReputationRep:

It is mentioned, just watch the credits of Rambo 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Because it is ancient history. People are more concerned with current problems and the future. In addition, there is not yet any will among politicians to tackle the Saudi breeding ground and funding for Islamism.

It's FAR from anything such as ancient history and is intact the one of the main backdrops upon which the actual debate on the war against terror, cannot take place without,

And there you have it with Saudi Arabia, countries are too busy basking in their own beneficial agenda, to even confront them. It's a two way thing.

ReputationRep:
    >Defending the cancer that is Islam

Regressive leftie detected

ReputationRep:

They do, it gets mentioned all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    They do, it gets mentioned all the time.
    Maybe for you, but I rarely see it mentioned here in specific.

ReputationRep:
    TSR isn't a news site, or representative of public debate.

ReputationRep:
    If you use the TSR search function on the word "Mujahideen" you will find a list of posts over 70 pages long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    TSR isn't a news site, or representative of public debate.
    Neither did I say it was. I was referring to whenever something of this sort is discussed here. People should at least know the background no matter where it's being discussed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Systematic racism perpetuated by inflammatory media outlets. Combined with the fact that the defence spending of the UK and US is so high that the idea of a civilian population even existing is highly debatable.
    Being anti-Islam is not racism!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3N...ature=youtu.be

Even when people die, Muslims don't care about the lives lost but that their feelings are hurt.

ReputationRep:

It is indeed an important part of history and has a huge effect on the world. We can't undo the damage that has been caused there. I think the main issue nowadays seems to be the funding from Saudi Arabia and such nations, with their funding for Wahhabi and Salafi groups. I think more than anything, we look to realise that our supporting of Saudi Arabia is not too different from our supporting of the Mujahdeen in Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    People should at least know the background no matter where it's being discussed.
    The background is an ideology that was purposely designed by a mediaeval desert warlord to influence and control his superstitious people in order to gain domination of Arabia and that was more successful than expected and is still followed by huge numbers of superstitious people, and still used to influence the superstitious for political gain.

ReputationRep:
    Neither did I say it was. I was referring to whenever something of this sort is discussed here. People should at least know the background no matter where it's being discussed.
    True. But discussion about the Taliban, Mujahideen (different groups) or the Soviet invasion in the1980s is incredibly irrelevant to the Belgium attacks, especially given that we don't explicitly know who did it (although we can guess)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.