Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Two explosions at Brussels Airport, several injured watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian's anti-science messiah Simon Jenkins wades in with some advice on how to react:

The intention of the terrorist is clearly to shut down western society, to show liberal democracy to be a sham and to invoke the persecution of Muslims. Yet that is the invariable response of the security industry to these incidents. Convinced of its potency, it dare not admit there are some things against which it cannot protect us. So when incidents occur it jerks the knee and demands ever more money and ever more power. It must not be given them.

Tl;dr - love trumps hate, don't beef up security

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    The EU is trying to create a deal with Turkey were for every non-Syrian migrant already in Europe, we'll swap one for a genuine Syrian refugee in Turkey

In return the Turks want 3 billion Euros and fast-track into the EU + Schengen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35854413

inb4 Erdogan gets into Europe and then grants all the migrants in Turkey citizenship + free train ticket to Berlin

Such a diehard Londoner :rolleyes:
    You know us too well,habibi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    It's not just one culture tho is it? Isn't it just as diverse as British cities?
    No. French colonial immigration was almost exclusively from North (and some Sub-Saharan) Africa.

ReputationRep:
    It's a reality, these things have happened throughout history, it happened in Lebanon which in the past was heavily Christian around 90% if I recall.

I have learned Arabic phrases and extracts from the Qur'an in case this happens, I would lol so hard if they actually let me go :teehee:
    Like what exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    You should, or remove the toll altogether, rather than posting a wildly incorrect figure
    Updated, though my previous update was correct when posted.

ReputationRep:
    This was predictable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Read yesterday that he was "cooperating with authorities". Sounds like his programming might have broken. Possibly why these attacks went ahead so soon after his arrest - in case he was spilling the beans.
    So you think it was in relation to his arrest? Quite possibly so but he also might have fought them extraditing him to France which is apparently what his lawyer doesn't want to happen to him

ReputationRep:
    No surprise. Really sad news

ReputationRep:
    But we also have a large proportion of middle eastern communities in London,especially central London area. I doubt it's to do with culture,because no culture as far as I'm aware allows people to carry out disgusting acts of terror
    The significant ethnic communities in the UK are Afro Caribbean and South Asian. And we were never actually at war with those regions the way the French were in North Africa in the 20th century. The sense of grievance and victimisation if far greater in the French NA communities than in British Black or Asian.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, really, what do these Islamists hope to achieve? If their aim is to dissolve Western civilisation and wage war on "Western lifestyles" then they're destined to fail abysmally. Their terrorist attacks are horrific, yes, but compared to all the Westerners that exist, those killed in such attacks isn't even a drop in the ocean. They'd either have to kill all Westerners, which is a pretty impossible task, or somehow force all Westerners to accept radical Islam, which clearly won't ever happen.

The height of irony is that these terrorists are actually making their aims more difficult as attacks like these just give rise to more hatred of Islam and more anti-Muslim bigotry. If they think that's going to make people more likely to convert to 7th century, Islamic living then they are deluded more than we can possibly imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Like what exactly?
    but if I tell you, when you capture me, you'll be like ''get him, he's the worst one of the lot :sly:''

and I'll be like ''Wallah ana min al maghrib''

and you'll be all ''we know ur ******** me m8''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    The significant ethnic communities in the UK are Afro Caribbean and South Asian. And we were never actually at war with those regions the way the French were in North Africa in the 20th century. The sense of grievance and victimisation if far greater in the French NA communities than in British Black or Asian.
    I recently watched an aljazeera documentary about France and the Middle East,it's true that some NAs living in France still feel margininalised within French society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I mean, really, what do these Islamists hope to achieve? If their aim is to dissolve Western civilisation and wage war on "Western lifestyles" then they're destined to fail abysmally. Their terrorist attacks are horrific, yes, but compared to all the Westerners that exist, those killed in such attacks isn't even a drop in the ocean. They'd either have to kill all Westerners, which is a pretty impossible task, or somehow force all Westerners to accept radical Islam, which clearly won't ever happen.

The height of irony is that these terrorists are actually making their aims more difficult as attacks like these just give rise to more hatred of Islam and more anti-Muslim bigotry. If they think that's going to make people more likely to convert to 7th century, Islamic living then they are deluded more than we can possibly imagine.
    But thats what they want to happen,surely? For Muslims living in the west to feel demonised. That's how they end up brainwashing young people

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So disgusting.I wonder if this will end in my life time.

ReputationRep:
    But thats what they want to happen,surely? For Muslims living in the west to feel demonised. That's how they end up brainwashing young people
    But their ultimate aim is to destroy the West and presumably convert us all to Islam or kill us, which won't be achieved on any significant scale regardless of the people brainwashed due to the sheer number of Westerners that exist. Not even an atomic bomb would kill us all.

ReputationRep:
    Hah! Can you read Arabic without the vowel letters? The Arabic writing in the Quran has vowel letters
    It will come with experience

It doesn't help how much Arabic words sound like other Arabic words so one slip and the meaning changes, could lose a eye over that.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the recruitment ads, they dont appeal to victimhood, but to macho and bravado attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    It will come with experience

It doesn't help how much Arabic words sound like other Arabic words so one slip and the meaning changes, could lose a eye over that.
    That's the thing about the Arabic language,if you say a word the wrong way,it could have a different meaning all together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Hopefully we can get rid of Islam so these young Muslims will not feel demonised any longer.
    No chance...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.