Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Yet surveys of Muslims consistently show that levels of support for Islmist extremism vary from 5-10% in the UK, to more than 50% in the Middle East, N Africa and South Asia. (eg. 29% of Egyptian Muslims consider suicide bombing to be sometimes or often justified - Pew Research).

It is irrelevant that less than 1% of a group are actually carrying out attacks, if a significant number support their actions, and the vast majority support the ideology that inspires them. Did the fact that only a few thousand were actually involved in operating the death camps make the Nazi ideology supported by 8 million people any less abhorrent?
    A miniscule amount to carry out the terrorism. An extremely large amount to blame the west for it and apologise for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    You do realise the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have admitted to doing this
    Yeah I know
    I don't believe they are religious or are doing it in the name of religion. If your doing it in the name of Islam why would you be killing your own people? They bomb Mosques...kill their own 'fellow' Muslims in these attacks etc...Wasn't one of the police officers in the Charlie Hebdo attacks Muslim?

For me they just have their own evil ideology and are just using religion to justify it because religion is the one thing that cannot be disregarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NicklLCFC)
    See yesterday when I was saying the muslims are a threat and they need to be stopped, people were laughing at me, and now look what happened today!
    Lol because it seems you are either silly or haven't thought things through.
    Terrorism is obviously a threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    The Iranians, Russians, Saudi's, Turks, Kurds, the Israeli's (and many other nations) largely look upon the Islamic State, as an organisation, in a very favourable light because it has made their objectives easier.

Iran - Because it gave them an excuse to come to an agreement with the US on their nuclear deal.

Russians - Because it helped facilitate arms deals to the Syrian regime and entrench their presence in Syria.

Saudi's/Turks - Because Iranian money getting sucked into supporting Al Assad means less money to influence other nations, such as Yemen. And also because of the Sunni-Shia political dominance and the gas pipeline that was set to go from Qatar to Turkey, bypassing Iraq which the Shiite administration was not too happy about and Assad's reservations as to how it would impact Russia's dealing with Europe in energy markets.

Kurds - Because it gave them an opportunity to occupy what they consider to be the future lands of a Kurdistan and the oil trade is a lucrative one for any potential state in the making.

Israeli's - Because it's sucking the resources of Iran and it's ally, Hezbollah into the Syrian conflict thus reducing it's operative capabilities in the long run.

In essence, the growth of IS has shifted the state of play in a favourable manner for many people and it is ridiculous to suggest that anyone who looks upon it in a favourable manner is an extremist.
    Okay, so what about the the countries that were included in the source I provided? What reason do they have for having a favourable view of ISIS apart from holding the same extremist beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    it's not so difficult to find people supporting ISIS. In fact, go to the most important English-speaking Muslim forum, ummah.com/forum, and have a look around

while most posters do not support (or are very careful not to sound as supporting ISIS), quite a few people refuse to condemn them, claim that ISIS are not actually killing "Sunni Muslims" but just deviant "rafidhi" (Shias) and "kuffar", then blame the US etc etc
    Hmmm you do get a few radical forums but I'm being extremely truthful in saying that any muslims that I've come across if this is in the UK, Saudi, Qatar, Kuwait etc. especially those of the younger generation understand that their is anger against those who put the likes of Bashar al-Assad and Sadam Hussain in power but also understand that the fundamentals of Islam teach us to not to act in brutality towards women and children through any kind of extremism (which clearly was not followed today). In terms of Sunni and Shi'ite conflicts these are usually fought within countries like Iran and Iraq (muslim countries) and I don't see why they would have attacked Brussels as it doesn't really have any relation to Shiie/a islam. Kuffars are basically non muslims of any other scripture, again it is clearly condemned to attack others due to their religion and the Quran encourages free religious practice
    Quran-
    “To you be your religion, to me be mine.”

Peace and love

NK

ReputationRep:
    A lot of talk about Muslims being pro IS or not. This is irrelevant really. Islam always advanced itself globally, not by preaching but by conquest i.e. by military force ( or by political 'soft jihad' from within it's borders). That is fact. IS are like the military front of Islam of those who are willing and able to fight jihad in the name of Allah to promote the spread of Islam. Not all Muslims are up for the fight, not all are capable, but there are plenty of young guys who are willing. Central to Islam, taught to young Muslim girls and boys, is that it is every Muslim's duty to fight in the name of Allah against the unbeliever until they submit to Islam or are verily subdued. The question so many people waste time with is not about whether all Muslims are dangerous. The important question is whether this political religion's ideology is dangerous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NK18444)
    Hi there,

there are a few factors to consider when using such polls as evidence. How much of the general public in places like Pakistan have access to use advanced polling systems and the people that do have access to the net are usually higher class in Pakistan with political agendas that may be fulfilled with terror attacks carried out by ISIS, also how many women are included in such ballots?
    I'm a well traveled person I've visited many many muslim countries so I'm not just using the views of my mates in the UK.
    I understand that those in war struck zones like Palestine blame other countries for not supporting them when there's outrage in other western lands when they are under any kind of threat, due to this these individuals may hold extremist views. But to be quite honest the reason for this is injustice, war and lack of support. As well as the spurring of hate by trying to encourage the generalisation that muslims favour terrorism through statistics, it causes tension for muslims like myself who are trying to get by in this crazy world through peace, love and education. I love the UK and all it has to offer, I try hard and give back so please don't throw shade by encouraging generalisation, because quite frankly it does evoke anger in other non muslims which can lead to normal (non extreme) practicing muslims being targeted through hate crimes.

Peace and love

NK
    Just to point out this was but one question among many throughout the middle east and North Africa. I don't think you're point is completely unreasonable, though Pew may have answered your question already by explaining they polling. However, many countries who do have the neccessary equipment for the average man to take the poll exist in the area, so it's probably not strong enough to place much doubt on the results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    See yesterday when I was saying the muslims are a threat and they need to be stopped, people were laughing at me, and now look what happened today!
    In what context were you saying it? If you mean the whole Muslim population in general, then I guess I need to be "stopped" too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    A lot of talk about Muslims being pro IS or not. This is irrelevant really. Islam always advanced itself globally, not by preaching but by conquest i.e. by military force. That is fact. IS are like the military front of Islam of those who are willing and able to fight jihad in the name of Allah to promote the spread of Islam. Not all Muslims are up for the fight, not all are capable, but there are plenty of young guys who are willing. Central to Islam, taught to young Muslim girls and boys, is that every Muslim should be prepared to fight in the name of Allah against the unbeliever until they submit to Islam or are verily subdued and pay the extra 'jizya' tax. The question so many people waste time with is not about whether all Muslims are dangerous. The question is whether this political religion's ideology is dangerous?
    Exactly. What Islam teaches is completely incompatible with any notion of co-existence with other cultures. We have to stop the Muslims before they turn Europe into 13th century Mecca.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know looking at the facts it seems the more islam is present in countries more bombings and such happen. We want to deny it but we would be silly not to look at it the terrorists have a different view they have been conditioned to kill the kuffar and they will be rewarded in heaven with sex and lots of food. these people value what might happen after death as opposed to life right now. They live for their 7th century God and the west needs to acknowledge what extreme religion can do like it did to us up until the 20th century .

ReputationRep:
    x
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    x
    That isn't me btw. Some guy keeps creating accounts impersonating me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by champ_mc99)
    x
    x
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    You're impersonating me!!

I've reported you to the mods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    These people are just evil
    It has nothing to with religion imo....similar to the nazis
    It has everything to do with religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Cool. no probz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    If this is the case then why is everyone tripping over themselves to denounce Islamic State.
    All the condemnations that I have seen seem to be based on the idea that what they are doing "is not Islamic". This suggests that if what they are doing was Islamic, they would support it.

When you look at the scriptural justification that ISIS uses for its activities, we find that most of them appear to be supported by an unmodernised, literal interpretation of the Quran and sunnah. So what we appear to have in reality, is condemnation for "following a different interpretation of Islam", not for "being unislaimc".

Guess I answered my own question.
    I guess.

A better question, are you positing that most Muslims are (for all intents and purposes) our enemies.
    Not at all. It is important to judge individuals on the basis of their words and actions.
    However, Islam - as an ideology - is a threat to secular, liberal democracy. Not because every Muslim wants to overthrow it - they clearly don't - but because the ideology readily produces people who do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    Better you listen to what they actually say and their justifications if you want to be taken seriously.

But let me guess you're a moslem right.
    Moslem? Wtf?

Nope
    I'm Catholic. What does it matter what religion I am anyways lol?

lol at 'listen to them'. What does what they say matter...it's clearly propaganda rubbish. Just because they say something doesn't mean it's true. They can say they are doing it in the name of religion all they like. Doesn't mean anything!

ReputationRep:
    You're impersonating me!!

I've reported you to the mods
    Considering the fact his account is a year older??

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. What Islam teaches is completely incompatible with any notion of co-existence with other cultures. We have to stop the Muslims before they turn Europe into 13th century Mecca.
    Stop them how? Kill them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marco1)
    A lot of talk about Muslims being pro IS or not. This is irrelevant really. Islam always advanced itself globally, not by preaching but by conquest i.e. by military force ( or by political 'soft jihad' from within it's borders). That is fact. IS are like the military front of Islam of those who are willing and able to fight jihad in the name of Allah to promote the spread of Islam. Not all Muslims are up for the fight, not all are capable, but there are plenty of young guys who are willing. Central to Islam, taught to young Muslim girls and boys, is that it is every Muslim's duty to fight in the name of Allah against the unbeliever until they submit to Islam or are verily subdued. The question so many people waste time with is not about whether all Muslims are dangerous. The question is whether this political religion's ideology is dangerous?
    you raise many points, some correct, some exaggerated

however, it is true that Islam, as a political ideology, should be opposed with the strongest determination, just like the "West" opposed communism and fascism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    It has everything to do with religion.
    So they say

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.