Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Explosion at metro station near the EU main offices in Brussels. (several networks)
    The airport and the metro now? watching aljazeera now
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    My Dad is in a meeting in an office in central Brussels. Armed police moving on streets below, constant sirens, helicopters rotating above city centre.
    Is he okay? (and are you?) :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Terrible news from Brussels. Terrible news.

ReputationRep:
    HLN: Maelbeek metro station bomb: multiple deaths.
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Bomaa...-Airport.dhtml

Close to Barleymont.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5b4d194449510d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Is he okay? (and are you?) :hugs:
    Thanks, we just spoke, he feels safe in a secure building but he says lots of people very worried. Lockdown in city centre, no movements on roads where he is (About 1km from centre). Army vehicles moving around the EU buildings.

Update: they've closed the Metro. Mayor of Brussels on radio telling people to remain indoors.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Reports of explosions on the Metro in central Brussels from BBC...

ReputationRep:
    HLN: Maelbeek metro station bomb: multiple deaths.
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Bomaa...-Airport.dhtml

Close to Barleymont.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5b4d194449510d
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Terrible news from Brussels. Terrible news.
    Our thoughts are with the families :console:

ReputationRep:
    They targeted innocent people during rush hour period

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, we just spoke, he feels safe in a secure building but he says lots of people very worried. Lockdown in city centre, no movements on roads where he is (About 1km from centre). Army vehicles moving around the EU buildings.

Update: they've closed the Metro. Mayor of Brussels on radio telling people to remain indoors.
    I don't think there is a possibility that this is a lone wolf attack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Nothing in the news shocks me anymore. I just find it entertaining, kind of like a modern Game of Thrones.

I suspect that lots edit,well an increasing number, of people think the same way as you.If you really mean what you say.

They wouldn't admit it though.

(Probably because it's rather insensitive of course.)

But I do wonder why (so many) people feel the need to look at the pictures.....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I had a look on Twitter. Pretty dire. And now this metro bombing? It's just disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    The BBC tend not to say anything until it is confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot of Sky "breaking news" stories disappear from the news agenda when they turn out to be incorrect or less significant.

One function of the internet age is that death tolls in accidents/incidents reported live tend to fall, not rise, over time.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I had a look on Twitter. Pretty dire. And now this metro bombing? It's just disgusting.
    The whole thing terrifies me. Absolutely disgusting. How could anyone in their right mind commit such atrocity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Less than a year after the Paris attacks
    Devastating pictures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I don't think this is a lone wolf attack
    More will emerge of course, but I can't help wondering if the French bombing guy was back in Brussels to help plan this.

ReputationRep:
    Dad says all mobile networks there have abruptly stopped working. Either overloaded or the authorities have taken them down deliberately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    So you think so? I'm not sure and I doubt it's connected.
    More likely that a planned attack (not necessarily on Brussels) has been brought forward because of the fear that the terrorists' cover has been penetrated.

ReputationRep:
    Dad says all mobile networks there have abruptly stopped working. Either overloaded or the authorities have taken them down deliberately.
    The latter, almost certainly

ReputationRep:
    More will emerge of course, but I can't help wondering if the French bombing guy was back in Brussels to help plan this.
    Definitely. I saw the press conference they held yesterday where it was said he was able to just walk about in Belgium after the attacks without ever being noticed. He was on the run for 5 months. He apparently wanted to blow himself up during the Paris attacks but later changed his mind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.