Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    dont worrry about it. i think the answer was obvious a while back
    And you were wondering why I didn't respond to your stupid posts 5 times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    You remind me of those annoying kids who post Britain First stuff thinking that they are being really clever when really they are just making themselves look like fools.

Save yourself.
    i 100% agree it is quite a silly use of designed semantics to try and create a correlation of your choosing .

it is of course common practice also on the Isoc and various islamic chat forums ( in favour of islam in those cases of course) . seems like the far right chat forums and islamic chat forums practice some sort of online parralel universe phenomena

Lives has been lost today, and all you lot are fascinated with is bashing Islam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    It just proves my point that we are currently in the apocalypse...
    So you disagree with the evidence that shows we are living in the most peaceful time in history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    If members of ISIS believe in Allah, Muhammad and quote the Quran then I find it impossible to see how anyone could, in an intellectually honest way say they are not Muslim. It's just that their version is a lot more literal and extreme which is why radicalisation that leads to this must be tackled. Crying "this has nothing to do with Islam", as well as being moronic, is just ignoring the problem.
    The thing is, Islam is not problem.
    because not every islamic country produces terrorists?
    Kazakhstan, Krgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Turkey, Cyprus, Kosovo and many many more.
    These are all muslim countries. They do no produce terrorists for the very large minority. And they are not extreme.

THEN AGAIN, Like you say, there are extremists, and extremist countries, that create problems, that especially come from the middle east.

So, the media trying to portray Islam as the root of a problem is false. because as given above, there are a lot of peaceful muslims and muslim countries.

For example, even though I am a muslim, if I go Saudi Arabia or Oman today, for Holiday, I will probably be stoned.(for not being as extreme as them)
    if I go indonesia, i doubt anything will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Underwood)
    And you were wondering why I didn't respond to your stupid posts 5 times.
    i asked 5 times what your personal opinion of islamic doctrine was good or bad - you ignored 5 times and then gave me some guff about comparisons with christianity. andso your own agenda became quite clear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slipandsquirm)
    I don't think all muslims are bad. I've come across a completely mixed bag, exactly what you'll find in any demographic. One had a great heart, another belonged to a family which had extremist views.

What is important is to understand that the surveys talked about so far aren't European. However, we shouldn't hide away if evidence exists that a significant amount hide these views.

If I went to Egypt, Palestine or Pakistan and met many many extreme muslims, would I be right to dismiss there being many good ones? No. Is it not the same in reverse? If I only encountered many good muslims, I can't conclude a significant number of muslims don't hold extreme views. What's more, the surrounding environment plays a part. Compare views in Lebanon with Somalia for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I know I can't generalise just on the people I meet. Their is a variety of muslims from different countries living in the UK. I would assume if extremism is significant in their home country it would be brought here too. So ask your friends (Muslim friends) if they know of anyone who is part of a terrorist organisation or who holds extremist views, and if you have a large Muslim community around you ask them too, if you receive an "alarming number" then please inform me.
    Also in terms of the terrorist organisations in other countries I absolutely condemn them but we need to understand one thing, when foreign soldiers walk with guns and drive in tanks around your home, when you lose your parents to war, when you are crammed into a tight space and a wall is built around you and when foreign countries sign contracts for a person to be in power that kills those that don't worship him (yes I have Syrian friends who's families have experienced this) their does become a vulnerability, their does become psychological issues and children do become tyrannical. I'm not saying this is the right thing, but just like good old JB Priestly said everyone has a responsibility and a role in another persons life. What we choose to take action upon (ISIS) and what our country doesn't (Gaza) is completely politics, but where are the humane hearts in any of this, where are the voices that can change this all from happening?

Peace and love always

NK

(Original post by Onde)
    So you disagree with the evidence that shows we are living in the most peaceful time in history?
    :dontknow:
    All I know is soon the antichrist will be coming and marking everyone with a 666 and we will be judged in the eyes of god and I am seriously hoping that will be before the 17th May...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lol of course not! It's just sad to hear about these things so often these days...

ReputationRep:
    i 100% agree it is quite a silly use of designed semantics to try and create a correlation of your choosing .

it is of course common practice also on the Isoc and various islamic chat forums ( in favour of islam in those cases of course) . seems like the far right chat forums and islamic chat forums practice some sort of online parralel universe phenomena
    They have more similarities than they would ever care to admit. It's rather amusing I must say lol

My favourite are the 'signs of judgement day'. Absolutely brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    i asked 5 times what your personal opinion of islamic doctrine was good or bad - you ignored 5 times and then gave me some guff about comparisons with christianity. andso your own agenda became quite clear
    Yeah because I don't care about you and you are deliberately trying to lead me into a situation where I will say something you can attack, meanwhile I fight off 6 simultaneous discussions from people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Lives has been lost today, and all you lot are fascinated with is bashing Islam?

why would you not address the cause ? otherwise wouldnt each attrocity simply repeat - noone wants that,. i think people have had enough and want to end this cycle of loss of life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    No, I said it was about rarity, shared cultural identity, and distance.

I would also say that the Western world has "cared" for the Middle East quite considerably - in fact, many are of the opinion that they have "cared" too much, or at least inappropriately.
    hmmmm...why are terror attacks rare in the west? maybe because people care about it and take action about it.
    why are there constant terror attacks in syria,palestine and recently Turkey?
    maybe because nobody seems to take it seriously and take action about it?

Belgium, for example, closes all eyes to terrorism in palestine and syria.
    and hasn't been responsive to attacks in turkey.
    Tell me, why should I care about Brussels today?

ReputationRep:
    Crying "this has nothing to do with Islam", as well as being moronic, is just ignoring the problem.
    ISIS is part of the Islamic "family album"

just like Communist terrorist movements in Italy and Germany (Red Brigades, RAF) were part of the communist family album

legal, reformist Communist parties in Western Europe took something like 5-6 years to realise this (initially, they spoke of false flag attacks, provocations by fascists etc etc), to take action against the terrorists, and to decisively wind down "revolutionary" rhetoric

unfortunately, it's taking much more time for Muslims to realise this : as long as they do not wind down apocalyptic jihadist rhetoric, they are going nowhere

(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    x
    :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    It would be good to focus on positive actions, but I feel those are more medium to long-term for "ordinary" people like us, beyond reassuring those who have suffered from such terrorism.

If Islam is associated with terrorism because of its dogma and because of the actions of its founder, then surely it is beneficial to attack such dogma and such actions, and thus prevent more lives from being lost?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because I don't care about you and you are deliberately trying to lead me into a situation where I will say something you can attack, meanwhile I fight off 6 simultaneous discussions from people.
    if you told me you think islamic doctrines great, i wouldnt attack you

if you told me you think islamic doctrine is bad , i wouldnt attack you

i simply wanted an honest answer from you either way. i like to know from what angle someone is talking when they comment on attrocities such as this

ReputationRep:
    If members of ISIS believe in Allah, Muhammad and quote the Quran then I find it impossible to see how anyone could, in an intellectually honest way say they are not Muslim. It's just that their version is a lot more literal and extreme which is why radicalisation that leads to this must be tackled. Crying "this has nothing to do with Islam", as well as being moronic, is just ignoring the problem.
    Agree that radicalisation must be tackled and that just because someone refers to himself as the caliph, it is not the view of the rest of the religion.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Now replace the sun with one of these and see what extremists really want:

ReputationRep:
    Just remember guys that not all muslims are terrorists - Not all smokers get cancer

The fact that the overwhelming majority of attacks are done by muslims is purely coincidental just like the fact that you are more likely to get cancer if you smoke.

PURELY COINCIDENTAL

ReputationRep:
    There are definitely thousands more who are extremist, but not terrorists.
    Millions more. But I'm not going to further waste my time arguing with someone who is not only disingenuous but clearly not very bright. Life's too short

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.