Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    Lives has been lost today, and all you lot are fascinated with is bashing Islam?
    Exactly. Lives have been lost. Many of them.
    The religious amongst us may turn to their god and ask him for help and guidance, and to watch over the dead and injured (although why he didn't do that a bit earlier is anyone's guess).
    Others may try to examine the causes for the atrocity in order to better understand it.
    Others may simply rail against the stupidity and barbarity of it.
    Others may criticise people for doing one or more of the above.

Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunni money)
    Opinions on ISIS:

The fact that roughly 10% (in the countries above) are brave enough to outward admit support for the IS is quite astonishing!

The fact that so many refuse to answer either way is very worrying.

But here you go, proof that millions of Muslims "have a favourable opinion of ISIS"!

4% of Indonesia's population = 10 million
    8% of Turkey's population = 6 million
    14% of Nigeria's population = 25 million
    9% of Pakistan's population = 18 million

That's 60 million that support the IS in just 4 countries! And that's ignoring the worryingly large percentages that refused to answer either way...
    Having a favourable view of ISIS is not equivalent to supporting ISIS.

I find it funny that you focus on that, rather than the article title which says that everyone is overwhelmingly against ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    One problem is the uk government being far too passive, destroy IS asap, i mean like a month, not taking years.

Theresa May is weak..... radical preachers not being deported. I support Trump he will take action to kill every terrorist. I thought hatred for Islam would grow slowly but speaking to people today it is very fast,

After trump is elected and we leave the EU, we will be in a good position to implement a 'final solution' to the muslim problem, and then we shall have peace.

(Original post by NickLCFC)
    This video was made to boost tourism in Brussels and change the perception that the city was a war zone linked to various terror plots.
    Hehehe

Good find
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Judas69)
    destroy IS asap, i mean like a month,.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Underwood)
    Having a favourable view of ISIS is not equivalent to supporting ISIS.
    What does it mean, then?

I find it funny that you focus on that, rather than the article title which says that everyone is overwhelmingly against ISIS.
    It doesn't say that, and nor do the results show that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    How?
    By bombing the **** out of them, I mean like **** off big bombs

ReputationRep:
    Believing that suicide bombings are justified in the defence of Islam is not the same as being an ISIS supporter.

I've said it so many times, why can't you read it? Yes, it is worrying that so many people think that suicide bombing is justified, but it does not mean they are all ISIS supporters.

After all, it's no different from the average UK person supporting airstrikes against Raqqah.
    But you aren't replying to my points, or being disingenuous.

This isn't a question of whether people support ISIS, that was another poll. This one just shows that people share the same views. That doesn't mean they support that particular group.

So, could you answer this question. Does the poll on suicide bombings not show that many muslims (more than 1%) have the same extreme view (or similar view) as ISIS on bombings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What does it mean, then?

It doesn't say that, and nor do the results show that.
    Having a favourable view of ISIS means that you see ISIS as good.

And you're evidently blind. The very article you quoted the image from says the following:

"In nations with significant Muslim populations, much disdain for ISIS"

"According to newly released data that the Pew Research Center collected in 11 countries with significant Muslim populations, people from Nigeria to Jordan to Indonesia overwhelmingly expressed negative views of ISIS."

"In no country surveyed did more than 15% of the population show favorable attitudes toward Islamic State. And in those countries with mixed religious and ethnic populations, negative views of ISIS cut across these lines."

You're confusing 'favouring ISIS' with 'supporting ISIS'.

If 60 million Muslims supported ISIS, we would all have been blown up weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slipandsquirm)
    But you aren't replying to my points, or being disingenuous.

This isn't a question of whether people support ISIS, that was another poll. This one just shows that people share the same views. That doesn't mean they support that particular group.

So, could you answer this question. Does the poll on suicide bombings not show that many muslims (more than 1%) have the same extreme view (or similar view) as ISIS on bombings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh for goodness sake I've had enough of you. I've explained it about 10 times to you alone.

The question asked was "Suicide bombings can _____ be justified against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies."

This does not show that any of the voters have the same extremist views as ISIS, the only thing it tells you is that some people think it is justifiable to attack civilians to defend Islam.

ReputationRep:
    LOVE TRUMPS HATE!

Fight fear with hope!
    Intolerance with tolerance!
    Guns with hugs!

ReputationRep:
    x
    Stop acting like 60,000,000 in just those few countries is just a small minority of people. It may be small percentage-wise, but a number that high is pretty alarming considering this is ISIS we're talking about. Maybe they're not technically supporters and maybe they don't share the same extremist views but they know actually who ISIS are, what they do and what they stand for. Having 60,000,000+ people 'favouring' them (in just that selection of countries) is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not apologising, I am telling you that the vast majority of Muslims are good people.

Have you even been to a majorly Muslim country before?
    you are apoligising for the 60 odd million muslims that were show there to have some sympathy with islamist groups like IS. i think if there were 60m germans that showed symapthy with the nazis , there would be cauue for concern.

it s concerning that you are not bothered- and it is that exact attitude that encourages the growth of islamic terrorism from withi muslim communities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Stop acting like 60,000,000 in just those few countries is just a small minority of people. It may be small percentage-wise, but a number that high is pretty alarming considering this is ISIS we're talking about. Maybe they're not technically supporters and maybe they don't share the same extremist views but they know actually who ISIS are, what they do and what they stand for. Having 60,000,000+ people 'favouring' them (in just that selection of countries) is worrying.
    It seems like the terrorists have succeeded in terrorising you today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed)
    you are apoligising for the 60 odd million muslims that were show there to have some sympathy with islamist groups like IS. i think if there were 60m germans that showed symapthy with the nazis , there would be cauue for concern.

it s concerning that you are not bothered- and it is that exact attitude that encourages the growth of islamic terrorism from withi muslim communities
    Have you even been to a majorly Muslim country? I've been to Indonesia, Morocco and Syria (before the war) without concern. They are all great people, but obviously the terrorists in Brussels today have achieved their aim of terrorising and scaring you.

ReputationRep:
    Fudge ISIS, fudge islam, fudge extremism and fudge all this scaremongering!
    Terrorism is here to stay, is there any point in discussing it?!
    we get it. it's bad.
    and it does have a religion, stop the bs apologists.

ReputationRep:
    Having a favourable view of ISIS means that you see ISIS as good.
    Ladies and gentlemen, I bid you goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    Trump is an enemy of multiculturalism!

Let us hope, not fear! Love, tolerance and understanding in the wake of these attacks, not hate, intolerance and ignorance!

Peace! x

ReputationRep:
    Seeing something as good is not supporting them.

These people are the people who have suffered from American intervention and Assad's warcrimes as a result of the Syrian conflict. That's why they may support ISIS, not to mention some of these people live in the middle of nowhere and aren't even aware of ISIL's atrocities.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like the terrorists have succeeded in terrorising you today.
    So you don't think that 60,000,000+ people (from a selection of just 9 countries) finding ISIS to be 'favourable' is worrying? Not to mention the vast amount of people who couldn't decide if they found ISIS unfavourable or not?

When you include all the other countries, you'd probably end up at about 150,000,000 people finding ISIS 'favourable' and that's just a LOW estimate.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.