Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Yes, the UK doesn't have much of a problem compared to other European countries. Probably because migrants in the UK come from a much wider range of backgrounds, rather than bringing one culture along with them
    It's not just one culture tho is it? Isn't it just as diverse as British cities?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the UK doesn't have much of a problem compared to other European countries. Probably because migrants in the UK come from a much wider range of backgrounds, rather than bringing one culture along with them
    It's interesting, I saw an analysis by Razib Khan based on attitude surveys which suggested the UK had more of a problem. This was Khan's conclusion, which seems a bit questionable:

Interestingly you can’t even calculate a real ratio for British Muslims to the general public, not one British Muslim surveyed would admit to homosexuality being morally acceptable...

And predictably, Diasporic communities are considerably more liberal. Only 36 percent of British Muslims age 16-24 believe that apostates should be killed!...

Generalizations about cultures can be useful. For example, it seems likely that Britain will continue to have many more problems with their Muslim population than any other European nation. This is because nearly half of British Muslims are Pakistani, while the substantial number of the remainder are Bangladeshi, and so culturally similar if not as extreme. This is simply amongst the least assimilable segment of Muslims to liberal Western values. In contrast French Muslims are disproportionately from Algeria, which is amongst the more secular of Muslim nations (and France is historically more aggressive about integration than Britain). Sweden has a much larger Muslim population than Norway, but Norway has a larger contingent of Pakistanis. Swedish Iranians for example, who often fled from the Shah, tend to be very secular.
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.VvEQUERFARA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    The terrorists win as Europe continues to allow significant numbers of those from the Middle East & North Africa to enter. Given a not insignificant number sympathise with ISIS (Belgium being the highest per-capita place in Europe for ISIS recruits) these attacks aren't surprising.
    Why is Belgium the jihadist capital of the EU? Why is it that we find most of these terrorists beings recruited in Belgium?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chi019)
    The terrorists win as Europe continues to allow significant numbers of those from the Middle East & North Africa to enter. Given a not insignificant number sympathise with ISIS (Belgium being the highest per-capita place in Europe for ISIS recruits) these attacks aren't surprising.
    IMO this is an us versus them problem. The solution to it is probably not to tell a whole group of people that they are arbitrarily banned in case one lunatic amongst them is a secret terrorist. If anything I would say that encourages the kind of anger and misguided hatred that spawned these people in the first place.

I think it's potentially a lot more complex i.e. about integration, education, security screening etc. - the attacks aren't surprising if there is a high quantity of deranged ISIS sympathisers in an area, but they don't just get born that way.

ReputationRep:
    Just down the road from the office where Dad is right now.

Apparently there are armoured vehicles moving up and down the roads and armed soldiers on each corner. Very quiet and subdued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    It's not just one culture tho is it? Isn't it just as diverse as British cities?
    AFAIK, European countries such as France and Belgium have a much higher proportion of migrants from Africa and the Middle East, which I'd imagine are generally more culturally similar to each other than African and India.

ReputationRep:
    Doesnt surprise or shock me.
    This **** happens every single day we will all be back to taking our selfies and complaining about the great british weather tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    It's horrible((
    I have been to Brussels a month ago and it was so quite and nice there. I am just shocked!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Yes, I saw you said you wouldn't talk politics.... after talking politics on this. Guess you realised once you'd posted that comment what a **** human you were looking like by using an attack where many people died to push your political agenda
    Lmao I was saying what came to my mind first.

Anyway I was thinking about what people would think of it from a political perspective and from a humanitarian one.

We done sweetie?

ReputationRep:
    Why is Belgium the jihadist capital of the EU? Why is it that we find most of these terrorists beings recruited in Belgium?
    Muddled cause and effect one would assume. I doubt it's a case of Muslims in Belgium being radicalised, more likely already radicalised muslims move there to be with likeminded (i.e. terrorist nutters) people with the same (****ed up) goals

ReputationRep:
    I saw a documentary about IS and they had this Belgian jihadi saying how all the terrorists flocked there because there was a more significant Muslim population. They went to the poor areas because they were easier places to radicalise in.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK, European countries such as France and Belgium have a much higher proportion of migrants from Africa and the Middle East, which I'd imagine are generally more culturally similar to each other than African and India.
    But we also have a large proportion of middle eastern communities in London,especially central London area. I doubt it's to do with culture,because no culture as far as I'm aware allows people to carry out disgusting acts of terror

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Lmao I was saying what came to my mind first.

Anyway I was thinking about what people would think of it from a political perspective and from a humanitarian one.

We done sweetie?
    Tbf that's extremely sad that rather than compassion for thise affected, your first response is a hostile and divisive one. Not a thought for the families, just a thought of how this event could fit your political narrative. It's actually quite tragic

ReputationRep:
    Reading on social media that IS threatened 10 attacks last night and London is on their list of the places..
    Did you find a source for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Muddled cause and effect one would assume. I doubt it's a case of Muslims in Belgium being radicalised, more likely already radicalised muslims move there to be with likeminded (i.e. terrorist nutters) people with the same (****ed up) goals
    Why there in particular? is what I've always wondered

ReputationRep:
    Europe is basically finished

Gonna vote for Brexit to buy some time before moving out

ReputationRep:
    The left and the leftist media will probably call it an attack by 'disenfranchised youth' *smh*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Underwood)
    Oh please this is getting old. Stop attacking Islam because less than 0.001% of them are terrorists.
    No.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    What a shame. Saw it on the news this morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feel Tha Bern)
    Europe is basically finished

Gonna vote for Brexit to buy some time before moving out
    It could've happened anywhere.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.