Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some people think that if you're not attracted to a skin color you're racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Because saying that "I could never date a ___" is basically saying "I could never date a ____ because they're all ___". Hence, you are making a huge generalisation about a large and diverse group of people. If you keep your racial preferences to yourself, then no one is likely to trouble you, but it's worth asking yourself why you think it's justified to dismiss and judge an entire group based on your experience of individual members of that group.

x

ReputationRep:
    YOUR CHOOSING TO NOT LIKE SOMEBODY JUST HOW THEY LOOK, ???/ Thats racsit, not even knowing somebody and prejudging them by just seeing their skin

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it is better you keep it to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArbinderSingh98)
    YOUR CHOOSING TO NOT LIKE SOMEBODY JUST HOW THEY LOOK, ???/ Thats racsit, not even knowing somebody and prejudging them by just seeing their skin
    How do you choose who you're attracted to?
    By that logic I am choosing only to be attracted to females therefore I am sexist to my own sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gucci Mane.)
    But it's not just personal preference. That's the point of this thread.

You're only attracted to white people because of racially prejudiced social conditioning, not harmless personal preference.
    >racially prejudiced social conditioning

Lol no. I just dont find non-white peoole attractive. Is that wrong now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightybis0n)
    >racially prejudiced social conditioning

Lol no. I just don't find non-white people attractive. Is that wrong now?
    I don't find the females of my own skin colour appealing. I mean some are cute/good looking but I'm just not romantically interested in them.

The males on the other hand are super attractive...

I'm only attracted to people of my own ethnicity because I'm attracted to someone who understands my culture, food and clothes. This doesn't make me a racist. Racism is when you say "people of X ethnicity are all ugly"
    You can acknowledge that people with paler or darker skin are attractive without personally being attracted to them you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MLPforever)
    How do you choose who you're attracted to?
    By that logic I am choosing only to be attracted to females therefore I am sexist to my own sex.
    Hmm good point, but if pre judged a girl because she is a girl is sexism? i think so

ReputationRep:
    Because you can be attracted or not to whoever you want without any need to justify it, because attraction is a more complex matter than just someone's race, because people are not just to be categorised by if you fancy them or not and because there is no need to pose questionable questions of this nature. Hope this explains it.

ReputationRep:
    To some people if you're not attracted to all skin colours you're racist.

I do not understand this.

It's just a preference.

Some people may not be attracted to people of African/Caribbean descent. It doe not make them racist. it's just what they're attracted to. People didn't choose to not be attracted to certain skin colours.

Some people my loves Oranges and eat them everyday.

I do not like Oranges at all, I've never eaten one. I won't ever eat one. I can't stand the smell of them, the look of them, the idea of putting them in my mouth. Does that make me a some kind of Orange foodist?
    You are a disgusting racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    No

You're allowed to not find something attractive lmao :lol:

Now thanks for making a new account just to state this stupid statement
    How is that a stupid statement? Yeah it's a bit sketchy but totally plausible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArbinderSingh98)
    YOUR CHOOSING TO NOT LIKE SOMEBODY JUST HOW THEY LOOK, ???/ Thats racsit,
    How the **** is that racist?

I'm so done with :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    You are a disgusting racist.
    According to you I'm a disgusting fruitist then.

Not being attracted to a skin colour isn't racism.

Do you think everyone should eat ALL types of food?

ReputationRep:
    I feel no (sexual) attraction to guys that are not white. Why? Because I can't do anything about it; I can't choose who I like. Don't you think that if people could CHOOSE who they like, they wouldn't choose people who harm them or anything? That's pretty much why some people stay in a toxic or violent relationship, because they LIKE them for who they are...

ReputationRep:
    It's not skin colour, usually facial features differ. It's not like Chinese people and Nigerians differ only in skin colour.

But anyway no it is not racist not to be attracted to certain ethnic groups. Racism has to do with some form of biological inferiority. The belief that a certain race is "inferior" to another in most if not all respects.

Now granted I think it's impossible to be attracted to "races". I think most people are attracted to individuals. I assume when people say that they're not attracted to race X, they're generalising. There are always individuals you'll find attractive from every race.

ReputationRep:
    According to you I'm a disgusting fruitist then.

Not being attracted to a skin colour isn't racism.

Do you think everyone should eat ALL types of food?
    You comparing humans to fruits just shows that you are not just a racist but also illogical. Being a racist already makes you illogical but this nonsense about fruits just proves it further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mancini)
    You comparing humans to fruits just shows that you are not just a racist but also illogical. Being a racist already makes you illogical but this nonsense about fruits just proves it further.
    Racism would be me saying "All females from Africa are ugly." I never said that. I said that some are cute/good looking but I wouldn't ever be with one.

It's not illogical.

People have their own tastes in regards to the food and they like to eat and what they do not like eating. Just like with skin colour, some people are not attracted to certain skin colours.

As I said, I do not like eating Oranges.
    Are you saying that I should eat them even though I KNOW I will not like them?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.