Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I have recently been looking and researching the Open University. I would like to study History.

However, I feel a little disheartened by the mixed reviews I have seen, ranging from reviews that seem too good to be true and others that make the OU seem like a complete waste of time and money. Therefore I would like to know people's opinions on what it is truly like to study with the OU.

Specifically, I would like to know what it is like to study History, as that is what I am interested in studying, but any replies would be much appreciated!

How do the tutors work with you? Do you have to go to all the tutorials, and what if they are a long journey away - are they understanding if you can't make it? Is the OU helpful, or do they just send you the assignments and let you get on with it? How many resources are you given, do you have to buy additional mandatory resources, or are the basics given to you? Is there a campus at all? Do employers recognize it as a "proper" degree, I know it is classed as one but how to employers view it? How are the exams taken? Are there ways to meet with people in your class?

Any replies would be helpful! I would just like to know from real people what it is like!

ReputationRep:
    I studied at the Open University a few years ago in a different subject.

To answer some of your questions, I can say that in my subject you did not have to attend tutorials. Yes, the tutors are helpful and do provide feedback. You can contact your tutor if you need to discuss anything with them. All the basic material you need for your course will be given to you. However, in some subjects there may be a set text which you will have to buy. I think the OU only has one campus in Milton Keynes. However, the OU has regional centres.

Exams are taken at local centres such as universities.

You can meet other people in your class in your tutorials.

Again, I stress that I studied a different subject at the OU (not history) and that my answers are based on my experience of the OU a few years ago.

I have only answered some of your questions. However, I hope I have been helpful.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.