The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Business (Law) or Business BTEC Extended Diploma 2yr

Hi all. Has anyone looked at both these courses before please and chosen one over the other please and what the major differences are?

Pearsons BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Business (Law)
or
Business BTEC Extended Diploma 2yr

Many thanks
Original post by alexknight
Hi all. Has anyone looked at both these courses before please and chosen one over the other please and what the major differences are?

Pearsons BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Business (Law)
or
Business BTEC Extended Diploma 2yr

Many thanks

One is equivalent to the second year of university and one is a level 3 course so i imagine there is a massive difference in terms of difficulty.
Reply 2
Im guessing the Level 5 HND Diploma is the more difficult?
Original post by alexknight
Im guessing the Level 5 HND Diploma is the more difficult?

yes :smile:
and its also in business law as opposed to business?

The law component seems to be the difference. One has it and the other doesnt, hence why a level 5 v level 3.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Im just a bit worried the Business BTEC Extended Diploma (2yr) might be a path to nowhere? How do I find out if its enough to get me a university place say on a Law Degree. So maybe better I do some A levels?
I have no idea what I want to do. Well apart from make money :smile: By doing something with Law I just thought it might be a good background for when I know what I want to do! :smile:?

I hope Im getting strong B's in all my GCSE's - (Eng Lit & Lan, Maths, History, Double Science, French, PE & ICT) All be it I got an A in my last English mock a few weeks ago Id rather be cautious with my grades at this point.
The traditional way to get onto doing a law degree is A levels. Im not sure that diploma would be sufficient to count as 3 A levels. You shoul talk to a careers advisor.
0800 100 900
National careers service

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/aboutus/contactus/Pages/Contactus.aspx

You wll need strong grades for your A levels.
Reply 7
Thats what I thought to be honest. I was told the Business BTEC Extended Diploma 2yr counts as 3 A levels but I couldnt see that.

Do you think the Pearsons BTEC Level 5 HND Diploma in Business (Law)would be enough to get me into a Law degree if at that point its what I want to do?
Its grades that matter. the thing about A levels is they are just what most people do and they are also what most recruiters are familiar with.
Other qualifications are valid, but recruiters and interviewers are less familiar with them so have difficulty placing them.
Check with admissions or the careers adviser or the uni involved as to whether thats accpetable in the place of 3 A levels. It looks as though its higher.

You dont need to do law before you study law at uni. Most people dont. Its just grades which matter.
Hello, I'm currently on the Level 3 Extended BTEC Diploma in Business Studies and it is the equivalent to 3 A levels. This BTEC gears you towards all aspects of business, but law does come up in multiple units and has its own. As above, A levels are what employers and uni's are familiar with, however this doesn't mean that they can't cater for the individuals who have taken the BTEC.

Realistically, you don't need any previous qualifications to study a law degree, but most uni's will look out for individuals whom have this A level with particularly strong grades. For instance, one uni might look out for A,A,B where as others may look out for lower grades. Also it will help having previous qualifications in law so you have a grasp on the subject before you start the degree. Your spending money on it, so you might as well do something before hand, for free and see if you actually like it first.

As for your GCSE grades, you should be aiming for B's or above to enter into most A levels, but the BTEC is much more lenient and if you have previously done business, which in your case you haven't, it would put you in a much better position, thats if your sure that what you want to do. I got C's and D's in my GCSE exams (D's in the subjects I wanted to do, including business) and I got excepted due to my business coursework being at a B, this is due to the course being 100% coursework at this time. HOWEVER THE SPEC IS CHANGING NEXT YEAR TO 60% COURSEWORK, 40% EXAM, KEEP THIS IN MIND.

There's also the option of getting a apprenticeship with a law firm at level 3, then progressing down that route, but that a whole different can of worms there...

Hope this helps!!

Quick Reply