Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Me (going to be full time student) and my partner (full time worker ) are moving up to Lincoln for when I start my Computer Science course in September.

Because he has a full time job in IT and isn't a student, I think our only option is to private rent, probably through rightmove. When should we start to look? If we look now, surely all the places will be long gone by the time we want to go in September?

Also, we have worked out all our bills (we think haha) - do these all sound right?

Rent: £500
    Council tax: (with 25% discount for a single worker) £99 for a band c
    Car Insurance: £95.52
    Car tax: £12.77
    BT and Mobiles: £52
    Water: 30
    Gas: 16
    Electric: 26
    TV licence: £12.54
    Fuel: (approx.) £100
    Food: £200
    Netflix: £10
    Spotify: £5

All that comes to about £1000 pm or about £500 pmpp

Is this about right? Where we live right now with running two cars and travelling pretty far to work our monthly bills are about £1615! So this seems pretty cheap?

Any help would be really appreciated - especially about when to start looking and what to expect!

Thank you
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    You won't get the 25% discount on council tax as far as I know, it's only if you're living alone. Even if the second person isn't eligible to pay council tax, you don't get the discount. I might be wrong about that though.

Also £500/month for rent seems a bit optimistic for a 2-bed, even for the North. But browsing Rightmove etc. will quickly give you a feel for how much rent is, so best to just research that yourself to confirm how much you'll be paying.

Other bills are about right, I think you've probably over-estimated water and under-estimated gas/electric, but it'll probably come to the same total.

There's definitely no harm in looking around early, for student lets particularly they go up on the market months in advance since the lets are all fixed-term. And of course it'll make life a lot easier for you if you can get everything signed and sealed ahead of time, it'll definitely save you a lot of stress when the moving date starts to roll around.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlgirlgirl1)
    Hiya,

Me (going to be full time student) and my partner (full time worker ) are moving up to Lincoln for when I start my Computer Science course in September.

Because he has a full time job in IT and isn't a student, I think our only option is to private rent, probably through rightmove. When should we start to look? If we look now, surely all the places will be long gone by the time we want to go in September?

Also, we have worked out all our bills (we think haha) - do these all sound right?

Rent: £500
    Council tax: (with 25% discount for a single worker) £99 for a band c
    Car Insurance: £95.52
    Car tax: £12.77
    BT and Mobiles: £52
    Water: 30
    Gas: 16
    Electric: 26
    TV licence: £12.54
    Fuel: (approx.) £100
    Food: £200
    Netflix: £10
    Spotify: £5

All that comes to about £1000 pm or about £500 pmpp

Is this about right? Where we live right now with running two cars and travelling pretty far to work our monthly bills are about £1615! So this seems pretty cheap?

Any help would be really appreciated - especially about when to start looking and what to expect!

Thank you
    I recon you could get the food down by at least £50, assuming you live near a lidl/aldi or arent bothered about brands. The two of us eat for £130-£140 and we eat meat 5 out of 7 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You won't get the 25% discount on council tax as far as I know, it's only if you're living alone. Even if the second person isn't eligible to pay council tax, you don't get the discount. I might be wrong about that though.

Also £500/month for rent seems a bit optimistic for a 2-bed, even for the North. But browsing Rightmove etc. will quickly give you a feel for how much rent is, so best to just research that yourself to confirm how much you'll be paying..
    I think we should get the discount because full time students are not counted, and it says it would then count as a single occupancy, which means you get 25% off - although that's for where we live now in Norfolk, I don't know if different councils have different rules

I've been looking on rightmove all morning, only problems I've found are we need parking for my partners car AND for it to be in walking distance to the uni for me, so that narrows things down a lot, but there are some that are 400 pm and others that are 600pm, I think it just depends on what would be available at the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I recon you could get the food down by at least £50, assuming you live near a lidl/aldi or arent bothered about brands. The two of us eat for £130-£140 and we eat meat 5 out of 7 days a week.
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Aldi and Lidl! And I actually don't really eat that much meat at all so it's probably definitely do able
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Aldi and Lidl! And I actually don't really eat that much meat at all so it's probably definitely do able
    Nice to meet a fellow lidl fan:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Nice to meet a fellow lidl fan:P
    They are literally so cheap, but still taste just as good as like, Sainsburys and Tesco! Sometimes, even better
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    They are literally so cheap, but still taste just as good as like, Sainsburys and Tesco! Sometimes, even better
    I think their biscuits and baked goods are the best i've ever tasted.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    I think we should get the discount because full time students are not counted, and it says it would then count as a single occupancy, which means you get 25% off - although that's for where we live now in Norfolk, I don't know if different councils have different rules

I've been looking on rightmove all morning, only problems I've found are we need parking for my partners car AND for it to be in walking distance to the uni for me, so that narrows things down a lot, but there are some that are 400 pm and others that are 600pm, I think it just depends on what would be available at the time
    Perhaps worth ringing/emailing Lincon council to clarify then, may well be different rules in different places as I'm pretty sure last time I had to deal with this (in York) the rule was no discount unless you lived alone. Better to be sure so you don't get a nasty surprise later.

ReputationRep:

The single occupancy rule applies if there's only one *liable* occupant, which does indeed mean that if you're a full-time student living with a non-student then only the non-student is liable for council tax, and they get the 25% discount accordingly. I did the same with my then-partner a few years back, and the 25% discount applied even though we both lived there.

https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/who-has-to-pay

Technically, students don't count as people. :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.