Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just 8% of people think Osborne would be a good PM Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    If he went unopposed, and didn't alienate people on the other side of his party during the EU referendum, yeah. But now I you could be right, because it would've gone to a party vote for sure and well Theresa kind of lacks debate on most issues, I've no doubt Osbourne would've crushed her on most of them too espically the economy. The whole reason Boris supported leave was because he wanted to get into No.10 and win the support of his party, he wasn't expecting to win and didn't have his heart in it he just wanted the attention and support to get to No.10. I can't wait till make documentaries about all this stuff it's more messy than the Blair-Brown stuff.

I could just tell Theresa was pro-brexit but played it neutral and wanted to keep the unity while everyone destroyed their own paths, although I betted thinking Cameron would leave on his own terms in 2018. I got her at a beautiful 11/1 to be the next conservative leader & British prime minister, best part is I was having work experience in her office at the time of her leadership announcement I also remember when Theresa was selecting her cabinet and I was just thinking apart from Osbourne who could really be Chancellor like no one of them had look, I honestly said Hammond to my friend and it was but it was purely based on appearance. 2016 was quite a good year for my predictions I remember saying whoever won the presidential election wouldn't win the popular vote (I was studying the electoral college in school and how Bush didn't win the pop. vote at the time) and a week before I called Donald to win it! I got it at odds of 3/1 only a few days before, amazing odds. Now I don't feel connected to politics at all, it's all upsidedown :laugh: I could bet on horses and be more likely to get it right.
    Good year for you then!
    I was shocked when Osborne was sacked, I miss him!

ReputationRep:
    I was utterly behind the idea of him making a great PM until he decided to write a book about the racist Britain because we voted Brexit.

I just cant abide someone for political office who tends to assume that anyone who takes the opposing view point is just evil/racist/deplorable etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Theresa still would've won it. I called it during the EU referendum, got it on the bet slip too although I thought it'd be when Cameron resigns on his own terms since I was expecting remain to win. But you could tell she was be being sly by campaigning for remain but trying to keep it balanced by criticising the EU each time she praised it so she'd appeal to everyone in her party and not alienate one side like Osbourne and Boris did
    I called her getting to the final two weeks before as she played a blinder in the referendum however my bet (based on his popularity among MP's) was that Gove (should Leave win) was looking good.

That all went awol when instead of Osbourne being his running mate (the two of them plus Cameron were firm friends) he chose to back Boris and then of course knifed him. It was amusing at the time to see how none of the Gove fans were bothered though, we'd only backed Boris because of Gove.

Hammond was no shock, he'd been widely reported as May's running mate for yonks and in hindsight his promotion to Foreign Sec was probably an indicator of just how strong she was internally. Originally Gove was supposed to be Osbourne's running mate which would have been interesting but of course the EU referendum screwed that.

I did find the Crabb-Javid ticket interesting and subject to fleshing out policy beliefs i'd consider that. Certainly the narrative would be brilliant in terms of aspiration (though May's is pretty good).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I did find the Crabb-Javid ticket interesting and subject to fleshing out policy beliefs i'd consider that. Certainly the narrative would be brilliant in terms of aspiration (though May's is pretty good).
    I quite liked the Crabb- Javid ticket.

ReputationRep:
    Gideon Osborne's performance as chancellor was gutless. His failure was abject.

To see him rewarded with a £650k non-job provides hope to all of us that fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)
    I was utterly behind the idea of him making a great PM until he decided to write a book about the racist Britain because we voted Brexit.
    c.
    What???

ReputationRep:
    Crabbe was awful and I never saw anything noteworthy about Javid

I initially would have suppported Gove before he went off the rails RE Boris. A Gove/ Osborne ticket would have been better than May. I'm certainly glad Boris didn't win or Fox who probably belongs in jail.

May is distinctly average (but good compared to the alternatives- Corbyn, Farron etc) if her position crumbles we could have some very interesting candidates from the back benches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I called her getting to the final two weeks before as she played a blinder in the referendum however my bet (based on his popularity among MP's) was that Gove (should Leave win) was looking good.

That all went awol when instead of Osbourne being his running mate (the two of them plus Cameron were firm friends) he chose to back Boris and then of course knifed him. It was amusing at the time to see how none of the Gove fans were bothered though, we'd only backed Boris because of Gove.

Hammond was no shock, he'd been widely reported as May's running mate for yonks and in hindsight his promotion to Foreign Sec was probably an indicator of just how strong she was internally. Originally Gove was supposed to be Osbourne's running mate which would have been interesting but of course the EU referendum screwed that.

Yeah, I remember when I was saying it everyone just wrote it off saying it's likey to be Boris or Osbourne, I could see how Theresa was trying to appeal to both sides, I think as soon as the leadership bids came out it was clear Theresa would win it. I was 100% certain following Cameron's resignation she'd win it.
    Boris would've beaten Gove easily, his popularity was awful amongst MPs when he announced his leadership so I've written him off playing part in any future conservative government. No one likes a snake.

Under any other circumstance you'd have to consider the party vote, the party would probably be in favour of continuing the Cameron legacy and Osbourne would've been best for that. Hammond had no experience in economics which is why I was shocked, but he did seem best for the job from his time as foreign sec. I'm sure most were calling him to remain as foreign sec? I don't really recall the speculation except for the days just before.

Michael gove as chancellor? I'd move to another country in a heartbeat, I'm glad that didn't go to plan. I like how you refer to the Chancellor as running mate, I guess it has become a thing like that in recent years.

Tbh a Crabb-Javid ticket would be much like the conservative era of New Labour, considering Crabb wanted some sort of fiscal stimulus and huge investments as opposed to austerity, but I'd like to see them as May's successors. They're quite young so I wouldn't write them off for the future. In all honestly as much as I like Theresa May, she'll be tested hard once the focus shifts to domestic policy, thats on top of the current pressure for her to get a good deal with the EU. I just read this morning they're planning to ban ticket buying bots, so I like where she's heading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleky6910)
    Good year for you then!
    I was shocked when Osborne was sacked, I miss him!
    The first 2/3 were, I was loving it and thought it was really what I wanted to do, the last 1/3 just showed how bitter things really were underneath. I think I'm just sick of the whole EU debate, and think we need to focus on demestic reforms at the same time.

I think he was a little shocked himself, he could've kept his position had he not abused his position in for the remain campaign but it's at times where there's such chaos we can really trust our system for a stable transition. I think we have the best transition of government than pretty much any other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/top...d-be-a-good-pm

This is pretty damning. Bear in mind Ed Miliband had 20% and that was deemed very low. In addition, two thirds of Tory voters said they didn't think he would be a good PM.

Surely his chances of becoming PM are diminishing.
    Osborne would be a fantastic PM. He'd privatize the NHS and then claim to be the Messiah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Osborne would be a fantastic PM. He'd partially privatize the NHS and then claim to be the Messiah.
    I actually agree with you but I'm not sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    He's spaced out whenever the camera is on him at PMQ's

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.