Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Well that'd be the only incentive.
    (Original post by Reue)
    Where would be the incentive to work hard and take risks if all your wealth was then evenly distributed?
    My mum grew up under communism and jobs were always filled. Actually people worked very efficiently and also education (further) was not a commodity. As far as I'm aware there were still higher wages for certain jobs but the disparity between standards of living was made up by the government... They subsidised for holidays for the lower paid jobs things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Where would be the incentive to work hard and take risks if all your wealth was then evenly distributed?
    The glory and satisfaction of helping your society advance. Pride in knowing you helped everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BhagwanNoBhool)
    That sounds rough, it isn't fair that someone who has previously contributed to society and can't any more, not out of lazyness, would be abandoned by society. Props to your mum though, in this day and age many people wouldn't think twice on walking out on their partners in this situation.

I can imagine it's tough seeing everyone else have nice things when you don't, through no fault of your own. But I'm glad to hear you're happy for them. It's easy to fall in to the trap of becoming bitter towards others for what they have, but that's the capitalist way of thinking and it's why we have such inequality in the first place.
    Social media is pretty toxic as well tbh, you literally only see the very best things that are happening in someone else's life. It's a rose tinted view type thing.

Can't say i have any advice but good luck with illness and everything else :hugs:
    Thank you you're really sweet :hugs: appreciate everything you've said here keep being you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Look on the bright side LP.

You are privileged enough to have me as a follower.
    Oh yeah silly me

You are good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    And there's something about summer that just rubs it in your face. Can we just not do summer? I know... Not a popular choice.

"Help me I'm poor" basically.

Bear should subsidise me a holiday.

AMA rich kids.

Edit: really anyone with any kind of struggles feel free to offload
    :wizard:

where would you like to go ? :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My dad was educated and had a good job but became unwell and hasn't worked since I was 12 even before then his problems affected his ability to keep jobs and his condition was up and down. Always struggled with money and my mums on a low wage so it doesn't balance out my dad not working. I've been to uni and got my degree but became unwell all the factors poverty etc are set to keep me down. I'm still trying though to just keep spirits up within my means but seeing people flashing their holidays and stuff on social media it's kinda miserable. I'm happy for them just feel kind of gutted and left behind.
    I suppose I lucked out in a way. As I think you're aware I too suffer from chronic illness which means I can't hold down a full time job, but where I come from an IT background and am very internet savvy I'm aware of all the ways you can generate income online and I'm currently doing pretty good for myself. Though, you can make money in different sectors using the internet as a medium of course - what are you qualified in?

ReputationRep:
    Communism hasn't worked because it hasn't ever had a chance to. China is extremely capitalistic and the USSR was full of greedy individuals in high places. In the UK our size and existing culture would be different. Love for our nation and our fellow countrymen must be instilled into the people for it to work.

Jobs should be done for the good of our society as opposed to selfish personal reward as it is in a capitalistic society.
    Same old same old. Economic regulation is inconsistent with freedom, the less free the labour the less free the worker and business.

ReputationRep:
    My mum grew up under communism and jobs were always filled. Actually people worked very efficiently and also education (further) was not a commodity. As far as I'm aware there were still higher wages for certain jobs but the disparity between standards of living was made up by the government... They subsidised for holidays for the lower paid jobs things like that.
    Where was this? Some systems were better than others but this is just a completely romantic image. There was very little personal freedom in the USSR, freedom to practice religion destroyed, no free spech, arbitrary detention and torture was rife, very little freedom of movement so the idea that holidays were subsidised by government is not true. The system of government was so bad you couldn't even publish poetry without government approval. Most of the nation lived in poverty due to isolation and failing to meet manufacturing demands due to market controls.

Go ask a Czech what they think of communism.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I'm working poor meaning the concept of summer doesn't really exist to me as I'm always working :lol: Although it is nice not having to wear a coat and seeing the gas bill drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    :wizard:

where would you like to go ? :holmes:
    Aww yeeeees. Where'd you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I suppose I lucked out in a way. As I think you're aware I too suffer from chronic illness which means I can't hold down a full time job, but where I come from an IT background and am very internet savvy I'm aware of all the ways you can generate income online and I'm currently doing pretty good for myself. Though, you can make money in different sectors using the internet as a medium of course - what are you qualified in?
    Yeah I know about your illness. That's really good that you've got the skills to still bring that income in...

I have a law degree from a mediocre uni (won't specify) but yeah...
    I mean I'm willing to top up my skills or learn new ones if it means I can do stuff from home. Any direction you recommend I should go? I mean my IT skills are probably normal/slightly below... So yeah that'd need lots of work. I suppose I can waffle for **** and make it sound good but still like blogging etc... Does that actually generate anything unless you're renowned and/or you've been doing it for ages and worked your way up the ranks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Where was this? Some systems were better than others but this is just a completely romantic image. There was very little personal freedom in the USSR, freedom to practice religion destroyed, no free spech, arbitrary detention and torture was rife, very little freedom of movement so the idea that holidays were subsidised by government is not true. The system of government was so bad you couldn't even publish poetry without government approval. Most of the nation lived in poverty due to isolation and failing to meet manufacturing demands due to market controls.

Go ask a Czech what they think of communism.
    Poland. I mean obv there were problems otherwise it would have stayed communist but I was just saying the good aspects that my mum remembers, so yeah... Not doubting there were problems as with most systems.

ReputationRep:
    Aww yeeeees. Where'd you recommend?
    Florence is nice at this time of year. not too many tourists.

ReputationRep:
    What defines poor?

ReputationRep:
    I hate summer in general tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    I hate summer in general tbh
    Same. Along with Autumn, Winter and Spring tbh

ReputationRep:
    The glory and satisfaction of helping your society advance. Pride in knowing you helped everyone else.
    Can't see that working myself. I don't put in 14 hour days for glory or pride, I do it for cold hard cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Same. Along with Autumn, Winter and Spring tbh
    no! How can anyone hate Autumn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AthiaKarim)
    no! How can anyone hate Autumn
    :eek: Autumn is the worst season! It's not sunny enough to go out, but it doesn't have that wintry beauty that winter has either. It's just rainy all the time lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    :eek: Autumn is the worst season! It's not sunny enough to go out, but it doesn't have that wintry beauty that winter has either. It's just rainy all the time lol
    Exactly! It's wet cold, miserable and boring! I just love it! :love:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.