Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seeing a nurse instead of a Doctor. Watch

Hi, I've recently (l10 months ago) moved address and registered with a GP. I haven't had any health issues so I've never been/never met my doctor.

Anyway I've got an issue that has been bothering my for about a year and now it's getting worse - I've no idea what it is because the symptoms point to various things when I googled it (bad idea, I know).

I rang up the surgery and the soonest they can see me its tomorrow but it's a nurse, not a doctor. I said yes because I need to start finding out what this is - but will they end up having to refer me to my doctor anyway? Can they prescribe anything if they know what it is? Basically, will I end up having to re-book and see my doctor? Not sure if I should cancel and re-book or go to it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, I've recently (l10 months ago) moved address and registered with a GP. I haven't had any health issues so I've never been/never met my doctor.

Anyway I've got an issue that has been bothering my for about a year and now it's getting worse - I've no idea what it is because the symptoms point to various things when I googled it (bad idea, I know).

I rang up the surgery and the soonest they can see me its tomorrow but it's a nurse, not a doctor. I said yes because I need to start finding out what this is - but will they end up having to refer me to my doctor anyway? Can they prescribe anything if they know what it is? Basically, will I end up having to re-book and see my doctor? Not sure if I should cancel and re-book or go to it.
    A practice nurse should have a qualification which allows them to prescribe medication but if it ends up being something which needs referral to hospital or anything then they should book you in to see the GP.
    I've pretty much not seen a GP in 3 years, i just ask to see the practice nurse to get an appointment quicker and they've always been able to treat me so definitely go to the appointment.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    A practice nurse should have a qualification which allows them to prescribe medication but if it ends up being something which needs referral to hospital or anything then they should book you in to see the GP.
    I've pretty much not seen a GP in 3 years, i just ask to see the practice nurse to get an appointment quicker and they've always been able to treat me so definitely go to the appointment.
    Thank you, yes it's a practice nurse
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Take the nurse, she will have clear rules on knowing what seh can competently dela with and the common sense to refer it to a GP if needed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.