Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I find what I am truly academically interested in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You dont suggest any reasons to study finance other than for some reason you have the offer of a foundation course. Only you know you.

Go and do some research and see what uni courses are available, make a list of the ones that might interest you or make you curious and then do further research as to what they involve. Go and vist departments and contact course organisers. Keep doing pros and cons then eliminate courses until you have your best choice.

You seem to have a lot of wants.

ReputationRep:
    okay, so please take whatever i say with a grain of salt because i'm probably younger than you, i haven't even sat my as levels exams yet so really i'm in no position to advise someone like you but eh

anyway, maybe think about what you want to do in the future? you're considering finance, i'm guessing? look up what jobs you'd be well equipped for with a finance degree. i know you said you've already been told to read and read but really, if finance is what you want to do, then you should be reading books on finance. listen to podcasts every day, look at finance-related news on related sites, e.g. the financial times or something. why don't you be a lecturer in finance?

oh and IQ is really irrelevant, honestly. like i can tell you firsthand that it's useless because all i got out of having a relatively "high" IQ was a nice shiny badge from MENSA. which counts for nothing honestly because employers don't care, no one else cares, etc. besides, 126 is a pretty high score in any case so you shouldn't have any worries there

if you want to do a Phd, why not? what counts is that you definitely want to do it, right? hard work is what's needed. like, albert einstein's considered the smartest person alive by plenty of people and he did terrible at university. if you definitely want to do something academic and go to university, then that determination (and lots of hard work, obvs) should be enough to get you through a Phd

what are you good at? i always find that i'm interested in the things i'm good at. for example, i love latin because it's easy for me and because there's history attached to it too, and i like history because it's not a complete bore to read through like biology or maths is. and history is great because it sparks the imagination, while with maths it's just.... idk... i know some people who love maths but for me it's all a very dry list of numbers

anyway, sorry for rambling, but i hope this helps at least a little bit

ReputationRep:
    OP, it depends on what you are driven by: money, comfort, academic pursuits/ excellence?
    You need to decide for yourself, as you are the only one that knows what you want.
    We can't tell you what career to follow as that would be unfair on you.
    If you enjoy studying and feel that you want to pursue a Phd, then pursue it! Forget about IQ, it's rubbish.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    It all seems a bit of an effort for you. recognise the signs if what interests you and what doesnt. If you find soemthing interesting then see whether thats included in the course and how. You still dont say why finance as to any other foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    I've had a tumultuous, miserable time over the last two years nearly... I've lost many social and educational opportunities I have had because of a lot of ruining, toxic over thinking that there's no need for me to ramble on about here.

I just want to remain in university education for as long as I can to make up for an incredible amount of loneliness and emptiness I feel and am in at this moment.

I have an unconditional offer to do a General Foundation Year tailored for a Finance degree at Keele University. I'm not sure whether I want to do it or not. One thing that puts me off taking it is the fact that it wouldn't be at the greatest of universities, this General Foundation Year, though it is only a Foundation Year course at Keele. I am told I would have the opportunity through hard work on it to then transfer to a greater university (for a Finance related degree), like Manchester or Bristol or Durham.

I really badly also want to live a student life in London, someday. If I don't do an undergraduate degree in London, I'd love to do PG study ideally in London.

I just don't know what'd best play to my strengths and stimulate me. I actually want to, if it seems I can, remain within academics, for a long time if not for the rest of my life, in terms of what work/sort of a situation jobs-wise I would like to be doing... Ha, I don't know however whether I am capable of doing that, studying to a PhD degree level, say... My IQ's 126 apparently, on one test, and only 109 on another (I've taken a proper MENSA IQ test).

I've never really been a straight A student. I didn't work hard on my GCSEs and AS', all that I have (I've 1A* 4As 5Bs 1C at GCSE and ABDE at AS-level), then I went through a monumental amount of existential reflection and over thinking during my A2s which didn't allow me to sit those exams.

Now I'm hungry to work hard on my education and to stick with it... But, I'm not quite sure whether studying Finance would most fulfill me.
    I really think you should go on the National Careers website, it'll probably help you tbh. Or you could read blog posts/threads on here regarding finance degrees? How about doing a Finance Apprenticeship? Does that sound like an idea? And I honestly know how it feels to be confused about your career path. I was like that in school. Always wanted to work in a hospital, but kept on changing my mind several times. Now I've been offered a place at my local Uni, I'm not sure if I should go for it because that really isn't the course that I want to do (it kind of relates to my career). However, it does seem interesting. On the other hand, I always have Open University in the back of my head as an backup, but I'm still thinking... :/

Good luck with whatever you choose!

(Original post by Wisefire)
    x
    (Original post by nomnomnomm)
    x
    Sorry this is irrelevant but is the actual MENSA test like the practice one you get on the website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry this is irrelevant but is the actual MENSA test like the practice one you get on the website?
    naah, i think it's something different, but it does help to do practice ones. in my experience it tends to really help if your english & maths are good because i remember doing a lot of 'cat is equal to animal as dandelion is equal to... etc etc' ... then again i did mine a few years ago, so i don't really remember much

are you doing yours soon? make sure to get lots of sleep, the only way you can really prepare for those kinds of tests is to make you sure you're really alert and awake, since you can't revise for them. also, remember IQ counts for nothing

naah, i think it's something different, but it does help to do practice ones. in my experience it tends to really help if your english & maths are good because i remember doing a lot of 'cat is equal to animal as dandelion is equal to... etc etc' ... then again i did mine a few years ago, so i don't really remember much

are you doing yours soon? make sure to get lots of sleep, the only way you can really prepare for those kinds of tests is to make you sure you're really alert and awake, since you can't revise for them. also, remember IQ counts for nothing
    Hey thanks for the reply. But the practice questions are something like 'cat is equal to animal' etc. What other types of questions were there if you can remember?

And I want to do it yeah. But if you get a really high score, don't you become a member of MENSA?

Edit: like the ones here http://www.mensa.org.uk/workout

ReputationRep:
    Figuring out what you want to do is one of the great tasks in life. You're just going to have to struggle with it and decide, there's not much more to say.

For some, the style of education in Europe is particularly difficult because you apply to a subject when you may not know if it is right for you. My daughter knew what she wanted, so is very happy at university in her subject, but I think that is very rare. The American style is that you "choose a major" in your second year (of 4 years), so you get to experiment more - they don't expect you to know what you want when you enter and can change courses quite easily; that worked fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey thanks for the reply. But the practice questions are something like 'cat is equal to animal' etc. What other types of questions were there if you can remember?

And I want to do it yeah. But if you get a really high score, don't you become a member of MENSA?
    no problem! hm, i think there were some mathsy questions as well, i remember there was a really difficult one (for me lol, since i'm awful at maths) near the end that was a word problem. wisefire might have already said this but yeah, you're admitted into mensa if you get a score higher than a certain number, i don't remember what number but you can google it

ReputationRep:
    well your foundation year will give you a good chance to see if it's something you're genuinely interested in

other than that remember that doing a finance degree doesn't mean working in finance your whole life, if it doesn't interest you you can move into other areas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.