Instrumentalists who pull silly expressions Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    How do people feel about instrumentalists who suffer from pull-face-itis? A lot of people are pretty hateful about this topic :lol:.

It used to really irk me. I detested Lang Lang, for example, because he makes the most ridiculous expressions whilst playing. I have, however, revised my opinion and try to focus on the sound rather than their faces.

For an example of what I mean, consider 5:21 in the above video.

ReputationRep:

There's a violinist I play with in studio that closes his eyes and rocks his head back and forth whilst playing, as if he's 'lost in the music'. Looks ludicrous in my opinion.

I do get the whole 'live music is a performance' thing but it's not my cup of earl grey.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about Lang Lang. He just looks funny when he does that. But the other musicians that I know of who are very "into it" when they play their instruments tend to close their eyes and kind of sway to the music. I'm fine with that. I get how their passion comes across physically.

I am guilty of doing this occasionally especially if I am playing a long emotive piece. Honestly I think it makes you look better as if you really know about the music and your instrument ...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    My favourite thing (even more than silly faces) is what I call performance hair. This is when an instrumentalist has hair that moves about (often in a stylised manner) when they are playing expressively and pulling silly faces :yep: Like if someone has a long fringe that bounces around while they play :teehee:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    I think it just demonstrates how engrossed in the music they are, nothing wrong with letting yourself get carried away, don't really see why it would annoy anyone tbh lol, music is for the ears anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    I am guilty of doing this occasionally especially if I am playing a long emotive piece. Honestly I think it makes you look better as if you really know about the music and your instrument ...
    What do you play?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    What do you play?
    Piano

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.