I'm a fresher living in Peverell, and after having a few grievances this year I thought I would offer some advice to people picking their rooms.
1. The difference between standard and standard plus is small and your £200 can be better spent. The differences are as follows:
- The standard plus bedrooms have a swivelling chair as opposed to one with legs.
- The standard plus bedrooms have a blue wall, as opposed to all magnolia type colour.
- The standard plus bedrooms light cover is a bit different, but not necessarily better.
- The standard plus bedrooms have thicker curtains, which I'm actually really grateful for.
- The kitchen units in standard flats have a slightly '80s feel to them. They just seem dated compared to the more modern kitchens in standard plus.
- Standard plus kitchen chairs are wood and chrome. They look much nicer than standard chairs, but have no cushioning, which standard chairs do.
2. Bottom floor rooms are the most vulnerable to burglary, but there is an alarm which attaches to the window. This alarm is triggered by vibrations, so there is a chance it may go off unnecessarily.
3. There are 2 blocks that have a fourth floor. I used to live in a fourth floor flat and it was way too many stairs.
4. People in rooms facing into the centre of the court have to put up with more noise than those facing outwards, especially on weekends.
5. Rooms that face the river have a great view, but as the weather heats up, you will probably want to leave your window open. The rooms are small and heat up so quickly. If you are in a room facing the river and you leave your window open and light on, by 10pm, there will be about a hundred tiny flies buzzing around your light. They will be gone by the morning, but it's still really annoying.
6. Flats in corner blocks always have one huge room. They're about 3 times the size of a regular room. In my flat it's room six, in others it might be room one. It's whichever room lies on the very corner of a building.
There are a few things that you can't avoid, no matter which room you pick:
1. The shower room is tiny. It's awful, really. The shower doesn't have a door, the sink is really small and the whole room is about 4 foot square.
2. The rooms themselves are quite small and everything is fixed into place.
3. The "broadband" internet is abysmally slow by today's expectations, unless you are up in the middle of the night when everyone has gone to bed.
4. There is every possibility that you will be living with a noisy git or a whining bitch.
5. Many things are not allowed in Peverell. BBQ's, organised parties, propping doors open, smoking etc. Fines will be issued and they will be large.
6. If you have a kitchen fire, using the fire extinguisher will get you a £60 fine, so just use water or let it burn.
7. Fire alarms happen regularly. So regularly that you will probably stop going out for them. If you get caught doing this you are risking a £100 fine.
8. There are 8 washing machines between 750 people.
I hope this helps someone. If you think of anything else, just add it to the thread.