The Student Room Group

Advice on further study (counselling/psychology)

Hi everyone.
I'm 22 years old and recently graduated with a BA degree. However, I realised during my final year that this really wasn't the route I want to go down nor is it really a prospect for me anymore. Cutting a long story short, despite being a diligent student who always kept my head down at uni, I suffered some personal problems throughout my final year, found myself completely in over my head with my course and ended up with a really low classification. It's something I just no longer want to pursue.

Despite the crappy result of my degree, I do like studying and am thinking of going back and taking up something else, something completely different, now that I'm doing a lot better. I've had a keen interest in psychology for a while, and would really like to find out how to get into counselling or psychotherapy. Has anyone got any experience with studying at the OU? I've read that they have a couple of accredited courses and the Psychology courses that they offer are BACP-recognised. The idea of distance learning also appeals to me because it means I can earn a decent wage and study in my own time. I'm trying to be thorough in my research and don't want to do a course which will cost me a lot of money without any prospect of a job. I'm already in thousands of student loan debt from a degree I'm not even going to use, after all.
How did you find studying at the OU in terms of balancing work? Is working FT a possibility? Also, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about credit transfers? Since I already have a degree (albeit a completely unrelated one) can I still apply for a credit transfer to shorten the amount of study time/fees? Any experiences with other accredited courses to do with counselling in particular?

Thanks for any advice :smile:

PS. I'm based in NI if that makes a difference.
Original post by decby
Hi everyone.
I'm 22 years old and recently graduated with a BA degree. However, I realised during my final year that this really wasn't the route I want to go down nor is it really a prospect for me anymore. Cutting a long story short, despite being a diligent student who always kept my head down at uni, I suffered some personal problems throughout my final year, found myself completely in over my head with my course and ended up with a really low classification. It's something I just no longer want to pursue.

Despite the crappy result of my degree, I do like studying and am thinking of going back and taking up something else, something completely different, now that I'm doing a lot better. I've had a keen interest in psychology for a while, and would really like to find out how to get into counselling or psychotherapy. Has anyone got any experience with studying at the OU? I've read that they have a couple of accredited courses and the Psychology courses that they offer are BACP-recognised. The idea of distance learning also appeals to me because it means I can earn a decent wage and study in my own time. I'm trying to be thorough in my research and don't want to do a course which will cost me a lot of money without any prospect of a job. I'm already in thousands of student loan debt from a degree I'm not even going to use, after all.
How did you find studying at the OU in terms of balancing work? Is working FT a possibility? Also, does anyone have any experience or knowledge about credit transfers? Since I already have a degree (albeit a completely unrelated one) can I still apply for a credit transfer to shorten the amount of study time/fees? Any experiences with other accredited courses to do with counselling in particular?

Thanks for any advice :smile:

PS. I'm based in NI if that makes a difference.

Hello

You might get a better response to this by posting in the stickied threads in the Mature Students or the Open University forums.

Are you committed to staying in NI? Because if not then https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/psychological-therapies/psychological-wellbeing-practitioner would be a paid route into providing psychological therapies which comes with training while working (and getting paid). As far as I can tell there aren't any currently advertised in NI though (http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/search_vacancy/b72725f382436e138559973a67976f98/ although I don't know if that link will work)

Quick Reply

Latest