Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to start a PS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What were the first few words/first sentence of yours? I am trying to begin, and once I get writing I know it'll be fine, but I think the first few words are definately the most important, and I can't think of anything original to say. Just things like:

Ever since I was x years old,...
    The reason I like physics...

etc., either totally overused or just straight to the point and (perhaps) boring.

Any help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    What were the first few words/first sentence of yours? I am trying to begin, and once I get writing I know it'll be fine, but I think the first few words are definately the most important, and I can't think of anything original to say. Just things like:

etc., either totally overused or just straight to the point and (perhaps) boring.

Any help?
    I'm having the same problem, though I haven't seriously started writing mine yet. You also run the risk of trying to be too obscure though, like those people that write things like 'ever tried to climb a mountain 1000m high?'. It's hard to know where to begin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)

Any help?
    Just talk about why Physics interests you. I woudn't go over the top saying "i fell in love with the subject from the age of 2 months" or anything, but just say why you enjoy it - Explain which parts of Physics interest you the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)

Any help?
    OK, dont be too obscure. Those startings are fine, I too tried to have a really amazing intro but then just ditched in favour of something that wouldnt make me sound like a cheesy gay. Ive seen some pretty awful personal statements(like ones which explained in detail why they chose their subjects for A level and how it would help them in their degree) and still got all their offers. For Physics I just said that, I liked it at A level, and therefore degree = natural progression. Im interested in theoretical/mathematical aspects more than experimental....Ive read this book and that book etc. I read PhysicsWorld or whatever, I want a job doing Physics research(not true but it sounds like I really like Physics ) etc..then talk about your community service/time management/teamwork skills etc by relating to things you do in your spare time. Sure you know the rest

ReputationRep:
    When my parents caught me creating ball lighting in my microwave at the age of three, my pride was severely dented but my passion for physics was not...

(Original post by mik1a)

Any help?
    I'm 90% sure that they are going to read the entire thing so just try and start as you mean to go on. Keep it honest and well written. Make sure that you convey a genuine interest for your subject and try to avoid being too cliché. I began my personal statement by talking about the impact and the role of my subject in the world. There are a million and one ways of going about it but just try and make sure that whatever you write is a close representation of yourself, that way you can't fail to write a uniqe PS.

PS - Loftx's site still kicks ass for examples etc... so you should check that out!!! It would of been useful to have had when I was writing mine but unfortunately I had to make do with the shoddy talks from different universities as guidance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    PS - Loftx's site still kicks ass for examples etc... so you should check that out!!! It would of been useful to have had when I was writing mine but unfortunately I had to make do with the shoddy talks from different universities as guidance.

Watch out for new PS stuff coming soon starting with this cool new guide by willa to stay ahead of the game when writing a personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, just wrote one. Lol, 545 words, and my parents think it's pretty good.

If anyone else has a problem with starting what I did:

Write up paragraph plan. Mine was something like:

p1 - intro
    p2 - specifics
    p3 - alevel
    p4 - other interests
    p5 - summary

I started with paragraph 2, then did 3, 4 and back to 1. I might not even do p5, or maybe a very short one, like 2 sentences long to round things off. I got the perfect start as well! Once you get the type of speech right, eg. "I decided to take AS level further maths because I found it interesting. Also,...", a sort of formal wording with a mixture of simple and complex sentences, you can get the right type of start.

Now for the constant updating and upgrading to Oxford-level!

ReputationRep:
    I applied from abroad and went through the whole process twice, as I decided to do a gap year in between. Will go to Warwick for Economics next year...

The first attempt was kind of stupid, dont try to sound too smart They later killed me during my Cambridge Interview because of that quote.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    “Political Economy or Economics is a study of mankind in the ordinary business of life.” (Marshall, A., 1920, “Principles of Economics,” Book I, Chapter I, 8th edition, Macmillan and Co., Ltd.)

Alfred Marshall´s definition does not limit economics to a narrow, formal scope. The decisive importance of economics in our society encourages me to study broadly all the social aspects of conducting “the ordinary business of life.” ...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My second personal statement was much more "personal", trying to be somebody "real", you might say, I tried to be myself. When I am reading it now, I just have to laugh, but I got my offers, so I dont feel bad...

It all began with an exiguous amount of pocket money. While I was holding some shining, little coins in my hand, a countless number of questions came into my mind and aroused my curiosity. On that day, at the age of seven, a journey began; aiming to find the answers on one of the most interesting and extensive matters humanity has ever dealt with: How is our complex and competitive business world actually functioning?...

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.