Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just saw this atm since I haven't really been on TSR since getting my offer - such a good idea!

I get to miss the first day of school for the offer holder day which is a great bonus

* My subjects are Maths, FM, Econ and French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by novatech)
    Just saw this atm since I haven't really been on TSR since getting my offer - such a good idea!

I get to miss the first day of school for the offer holder day which is a great bonus

* My subjects are Maths, FM, Econ and French
    Congrats on your offer

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,I have accommodation at High Holborn, for a single room, £236 a week.Is anyone interested in changing their accommodation? Please contact me because I really don't want to stay here, but I do want to live in Halls for the first year. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Did any of you here not do further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Did any of you here not do further maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I picked up FM AS in year 13, but I do know a few offer holders who did not have FM at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    I picked up FM AS in year 13, but I do know a few offer holders who did not have FM at all.
    Ah that's exactly what I'm doing, do you think it will be enough the AS furthers maths? And do you know those other offer holders' stats/grades by any chance?

Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's exactly what I'm doing, do you think it will be enough the AS furthers maths? And do you know those other offer holders' stats/grades by any chance?

Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think AS further maths is certainly sufficient in terms of getting an offer (would recommend self-studying FP2, S3 etc tho before starting your first year in the case that you do get in). Should be even better if you could mention mathematical applications in econ in ur PS e.g. calculus in optimisation, econometrics etc

Most of the ppl ik who got an offer had good gcses (think 6A*+), high A-level ums + predictions (a lot of them had 3A*+).

Although, without revealing too much- I do know someone who did not do FM at all and didn't have ridic high AS ums (think high 80s and low 90s), but still got an offer- this is where an outstanding PS comes in, imo can outweigh a lot of the academic factors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesmallman)
    I think AS further maths is certainly sufficient in terms of getting an offer (would recommend self-studying FP2, S3 etc tho before starting your first year in the case that you do get in). Should be even better if you could mention mathematical applications in econ in ur PS e.g. calculus in optimisation, econometrics etc

Most of the ppl ik who got an offer had good gcses (think 6A*+), high A-level ums + predictions (a lot of them had 3A*+).

Although, without revealing too much- I do know someone who did not do FM at all and didn't have ridic high AS ums (think high 80s and low 90s), but still got an offer- this is where an outstanding PS comes in, imo can outweigh a lot of the academic factors
    Ahh I see, when you talk about econometrics do you mean talking about reading books about that in the PS?
    I'm quite worried but thanks so much for all this info-really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see, when you talk about econometrics do you mean talking about reading books about that in the PS?
    I'm quite worried but thanks so much for all this info-really helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It can be in the form of reflecting on a book you've read or just in general, mention how they relate to your current studies. E.g. I talked about how studying statistics gave me the necessary skills to carry out regression analysis, which is an important tool in precise monetary policy management etc

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Other than maths and further maths, did any of you do an essay based subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Mostly common subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry (and sometimes History/Politics).
    By the way, dont forget that LSE considers Further Maths only as 4th subject. So if you have 3 subjects and one is Further maths, they will most likely not offer you a place. This is only a weird rule in LSE, otherwise Further maths is a really useful subject for Economics applicants and even LSE prefers people who have it (based on what i think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fbiemad)
    Mostly common subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, Chemistry (and sometimes History/Politics).
    By the way, dont forget that LSE considers Further Maths only as 4th subject. So if you have 3 subjects and one is Further maths, they will most likely not offer you a place. This is only a weird rule in LSE, otherwise Further maths is a really useful subject for Economics applicants and even LSE prefers people who have it (based on what i think).
    ^^^^^^^Basically this. Would recommend Sciences/History/Geography (ofc in addition to maths and fm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Hey! I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics & French. Funnily enough, MFLs count as essay subjects! People like me are definitely in the minority, out of about 30 offer holders, I know of only one guy who does German.

I'd like to reiterate what the other posters have said; if you're doing Maths, FM, Econ at A2 then LSE is unlikely to consider you because your combo is 'narrow'.

I have seen many people doing four A2 subjects, mainly the combos of Maths, FM, Econ and Physics/History/Geography/Chem.

If you're doing an essay subject do History/Politics.

Hope that helps and good luck for your exams

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.