Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU-funded BBC documentary on Obama sparks allegations of anti-Brexit bias Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The BBC has produced an uncritical documentary series on Barak Obama’s presidential legacy using cash from the European Commission (EC) as the outgoing president ramps up his anti-Brexit lobbying ahead of a UK visit next month.

Obama’s visit the UK to bolster Prime Minister David Cameron’s campaign for Britain to remain in the European Union (EU) has angered Euroskeptics and the wider British public, pushing more than 26,000 people to back a petition calling for the trip to be scrapped.

The petition, which will remain online until August 3, has attracted 100,000 signatures to date.

Read More:
    https://www.rt.com/uk/336484-obama-d...ary-eu-brexit/
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Government and cabinet use millions in public funds to support remaining in the EU, nobody bats an eyelid. BBC broadcast a single documentary with a slight pro-EU leaning, suddenly it's front page news?

The BBC is pro-establishment, and has been for a long time. If you don't like it, change the channel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Government and cabinet use millions in public funds to support remaining in the EU, nobody bats an eyelid. BBC broadcast a single documentary with a slight pro-EU leaning, suddenly it's front page news?

The BBC is pro-establishment, and has been for a long time. If you don't like it, change the channel.
    That's a bizarre argument. The government is allowed to be biased and pursue it's own agenda. The BBC is catagorically not. The fact that it apparently may have been biased in the past doesn't mean it can continue to be now and we simply have to put up with it.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    That's a bizarre argument. The government is allowed to be biased and pursue it's own agenda. The BBC is catagorically not. The fact that it apparently may have been biased in the past doesn't mean it can continue to be now and we simply have to put up with it.
    The main reason I brought that up is that the usual rhetoric is that the BBC should not be biased because it receives public funds. My point was that public funds go to biased causes all the time, because as you say, the government is free to pursue its own agenda.

The BBC cannot be 100% unbiased 100% of the time. No media outlet could hope to achieve that. A documentary specifically focused on one man who is staunchly pro-EU is obviously going to lead to bias, how could it not? And an organisation which gets the vast majority of its funding from government sources isn't likely to start biting off the hand that feeds it, that's just common sense.

I'm not saying we shouldn't hold the Beeb to account, but when it comes to articles like this one the argument just seems pathetic to me, they've focused on one particular show which wasn't even produced in-house and claim that because of this slight lean towards a particular political point, the entire organisation is somehow compromised. It's just daft.

ReputationRep:
    The beeb has to be balanced, but that doesn't mean they can't show one thing with slight pro-EU bias so long as they then show something with slight anti-EU bias.

ReputationRep:
    Brexit obsessives will whinge about literally anything it seems. The whole world is a big conspiracy to them. How long until we start hearing about the straight bananas and metric martyrs again?

ReputationRep:
    We need to exit Europe if we want any chance of Britain not turning into a muslim-infested caliphate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    The main reason I brought that up is that the usual rhetoric is that the BBC should not be biased because it receives public funds. My point was that public funds go to biased causes all the time, because as you say, the government is free to pursue its own agenda.
    The BBC should not be biased because literally the entire point of it is to be an impartial media service. That's the number one fundamental principle of the BBC. People get upset because the BBC is breaking that commitment, not because it just so happens to be funded via the taxpayer.

(Original post by Dez)
    The BBC cannot be 100% unbiased 100% of the time. No media outlet could hope to achieve that. A documentary specifically focused on one man who is staunchly pro-EU is obviously going to lead to bias, how could it not? And an organisation which gets the vast majority of its funding from government sources isn't likely to start biting off the hand that feeds it, that's just common sense.
    The BBC has guidelines on dealing with that. In that case, it should provide a critical counter-side from an anti-EU or anti-Obama personality.
    The BBC hasn't been afraid to bite the government's hand in the past. There is a long list of alleged instances of bias that refute claims of pro-establishment bias. It may well have a bias in this instance or that, but that's not because the incumbent government advocated it.

(Original post by Dez)
    I'm not saying we shouldn't hold the Beeb to account, but when it comes to articles like this one the argument just seems pathetic to me, they've focused on one particular show which wasn't even produced in-house and claim that because of this slight lean towards a particular political point, the entire organisation is somehow compromised. It's just daft.
    The OP hasn't said anything of the sort. All they've done is point out possible bias. You're reaction was a bit over-the-top imo.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    The BBC should not be biased because literally the entire point of it is to be an impartial media service. That's the number one fundamental principle of the BBC. People get upset because the BBC is breaking that commitment, not because it just so happens to be funded via the taxpayer.
    The "entire point" of the BBC, if anything, is to serve the British public. They have an obligation to be reasonably impartial as part of that, but I wouldn't say that's their "number one fundamental principle", as you put it. And I reiterate, no media organisation can hope to be 100% unbiased.

The BBC has guidelines on dealing with that. In that case, it should provide a critical counter-side from an anti-EU or anti-Obama personality.
    I'm pretty sure that's only for BBC News. In any case, the documentary wasn't about the EU, it was about a person who happened to have an opinion on the EU, so I don't see why they would need or want to make a rebuttal piece.

The BBC hasn't been afraid to bite the government's hand in the past. There is a long list of alleged instances of bias that refute claims of pro-establishment bias. It may well have a bias in this instance or that, but that's not because the incumbent government advocated it.
    So what's the problem then?

The OP hasn't said anything of the sort. All they've done is point out possible bias. You're reaction was a bit over-the-top imo.
    I was mainly commenting on the linked article rather than what OP wrote.

ReputationRep:
    because everybody in this country bums him for being "a symbol of change" (a symbol and nothing else - just like future premier hilary clinton) so they don't have to tip toe around their bias. **** obama. **** the BBC. and **** the EU. one more expletive - ****. there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    The "entire point" of the BBC, if anything, is to serve the British public. They have an obligation to be reasonably impartial as part of that, but I wouldn't say that's their "number one fundamental principle", as you put it. And I reiterate, no media organisation can hope to be 100% unbiased.
    Yes, the entire British public. Balanced impartiality is the method by which they do that. Channel 4 is a public service broadcaster. What sets the BBC apart is that it is meant to have no agenda, no prejudices and no bias.
    And of course not, but considering the BBC goes to such great lengths to not be

(Original post by Dez)
    I'm pretty sure that's only for BBC News. In any case, the documentary wasn't about the EU, it was about a person who happened to have an opinion on the EU, so I don't see why they would need or want to make a rebuttal piece.
    No, it's all content. I've obviously not seen the documentary and I don't know what it's content is. All I'm saying is that the BBC has to be balanced. So it has to provide a counter argument to anything political it screens.

(Original post by Dez)
    So what's the problem then?
    The BBC's impartiality is constant, not relative to it's past content.

(Original post by Dez)
    I was mainly commenting on the linked article rather than what OP wrote.
    The article is hardly sensationalist. It doesn't call for the BBC to be scrap. t's well sourced and cites numerous facts and figures. It's quite solid journalism by RT standards.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.