Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of Open Uni and Brick Uni. The Uni that I'm planning to go to this upcoming September offers things like a placements and I've heard that they give support etc. However, it quite isn't the course (Children and Young people) that I want to do. But it does seem interesting to me. I went to the open day and checked everything out and it looks good to me. But then again I always have the option of going to Open University and they offer a course which is what I want to do in the future as a career.

Is Open Uni hard as you are on your ow, doing your work (yes, I'm aware that they offer extra help through email, phone etc)?

Any advice would be great.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently coming to the end of my second year with the OU studying law, but I'm transferring to a brick uni in September.

The OU is good, but I think it depends on the subject and how you are as a person. It takes discipline - several people on my course have fallen into the trap of reading the units they need for their assignments throughout the year and are now panicking as the exam draws closer.

My tutors have been great - always available by email, text, phone...and we have at least one tutorial a month (sometimes online, more often than not in person).

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Why are you transferring to a brick unu if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cucumberhater)
    Cool! Why are you transferring to a brick unu if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Making a change in my working circumstances that allows me to be in once place for a couple of years, and because it'd take me another four years to complete the degree with the OU, much quicker at a brick uni full time. I could technically do it full time with the OU, but it's very solitary and the course I'm doing is better discussed with other people, I think that and the extra-circiccular stuff.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I've done both (only a year at both, mind) and there are, imo, pros and cons to both. For various reasons, I was really struggling with lectures and getting coping at a brick uni, hence swapping to OU. Ok, you've got to do a lot of self study. But it meant I could study when I was well enough and wasn't dragging myself to lectures when I was really ill.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.